Formations

red_stag88

If you think that the objective is to produce a "killing area" (as Archie Coats called it), the decoy layout can be very flexible.

The "killing area" is a decoy free space, within range of your hide, that you have a clear view of.

The decoy layout should channel/direct/encourage the birds to land in the "killing area.

I do not place any decoys more than 35 yards from my hide.

That is a quick comment, on a very involved question.

There are several patterns to try depending on wind direction in relation to your hide.Rememer as a rule the birds will usually land into the wind as this means they can get airborn again quickly if scared off.They head for the front of the pattern,acting like humans thinking that the best is at the front and I usually make this point about 25yards away from me.The main point of any decoy pattern is to try and coax the birds to this point.Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules that the pigeons adhere to and as every shooter will tell you,it all depends on what they do on the day.If you are any wiser after this,then please feel free to explain it back to me,as I have found the most pleasurable thing about pigeon shooting is the unexpected happening on any specific day. 8)

• 2 months later...

if it is nice an windy i have found three deep L shape most affective if wind is blowing down hedge not saying it is the best for every were but seems to work best for me

x  x

x  x

x   x

x   x

KILL ZONE                       x    x    <-WIND    

x    x

x    x    x

x    x     x

x      x    x

x      x     x        

x    x    x    x     x    

--------HIDE------------------------------------------------ :what:

Two things, at least, are the same.

You need a "killing area" and crows like to land into the wind.

Whereas most of us put out between 10 and :):) pigeon decoys.

Most people I know, only use between 2 and 8 crow decoys.

Perhaps thats because they haven,t bought many.  :)

I set pigeon decoys out on Thursday, with a head on strong wind, unfortunately, I had no other option.

I put my decoys out 70 paces(broke my own 35yard rule) from the hide,horseshoe shape,facing into the wind.

The pigeons came mainly towards me on the wind, turned over the hide and dropped in towards the back of the layout.

I shot them as they were tavelling away from me.

Some came from the side and I had "crossing" shots at them.

I finished with 25 in about 5 hours.Not a big bag, but if I hadn,t adjusted my layout to the conditions, I might as well have stayed at home.

I sometimes use a pattern similar to Predator, but I place a few decoys at random inside the horseshoe, and the odd one in front.  

Where I am shooting at the moment, the pigeons feed facing different directions, and so I tend to place the decoys out like this, copying the formation the pigeons make themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Like pigeons, I try to put out as many rooks as possible. usually upto 20 and on cradles.

One other factor I employ with rooks and crows is Not to get out the hide, leave the birds where they fall unless it is wounded.

I dont use any specific pattern, I just leave  little gaps amongst the birds and let the rooks find there own space.

I usually only shoot the birds when their wings go back and their undercarrige is down.  This way the birds are concentrating on the ground and not on there surroundings.

Like pigeon shooting, rook shooting you need a focal point. i.e. pig farm, drillings stubble grass :)

heres one of my favourites when thers 2 of you in sepertate hides.

leave about 15 yards between each group and about 40 between the hides.

2 way radios are worth buying aswell if you do alot of shooting with 2 hides

l                    

l                    x

l                x       x        

l              x     x     x

hide 1          x     x

l

l                 kill zone

l

l                                         wind ->

l                      x                    

l                  x       x

l                      x

l                                  

l                  kill zone

l

l

hide 2          x        x

l               x      x       x

l                   x       x  

l                       x

l

l

:)  :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am a believer in the horse shoe pattern, I have used it for years to great success.

But there again the question of where to set them up and which pattern to use, depends on the wind, decoys in close, if they have to land with their beaks into the wind comming straight into your pattern from the front, Or deeks sitting 60-70 yards out into the feild with the birds coming into land over the back of the hide (great sport).

cheers