World's Strongest Man

Doc Holliday

Is anyone else watching this at the moment? Although I think these guys are a heart attack waiting to happen (don't tell them I said that) the kind of weights these guys shift is amazing.

Before starting Crossfit I didn't really have too much of an idea as to what weight I could lift. Even at the top end of what I can lift (and I'm not a small bloke) these guys are starting at that or even beyond it.

Although I think it would be good to see a Brit win it (Terry Hollands - not least because he seems like a thoroughly decent bloke) but I think it will go the American Brian Shaw.

Final is tonight on Ch5 at 8 pm.

I can understand wanting to be healthy, toned or even big built but can these guys even wipe their own backsides? What is the point in been that big that you become that unhealthy?

Don't get me wrong I think the weights they lift are impressive but ultimately pointless if your gonna have a heart attack going up the stairs to the loo!

I spend a fair bit of time shifting full beer barrels around, which really brings home events like the keg toss etc. Seriously impressive.

I have shifted a fair few barrels of beer never got so much as a sweat on.and I didn't need steroids

KW

these guys are extremely strong but when you do strength to body weight ratio then there are a lot of small guys out there stronger

colin

I think a lot of it is to do with the distance a joint has to travel. For example, a guy who is 5'4" can out perform a guy who is 6'4" but only because the taller guy has to work harder to achieve the same result. At least that's my defence :-)

I can understand wanting to be healthy, toned or even big built but can these guys even wipe their own backsides? What is the point in been that big that you become that unhealthy?

Don't get me wrong I think the weights they lift are impressive but ultimately pointless if your gonna have a heart attack going up the stairs to the loo!

I think the wiping of ones own backside is only relative after doing a workout. There's been times when I can barely part my own cheeks to dry between after doing a session but then a day or so later it isn't a problem. I'm sure you don't need the image of my trying to wipe my own backside but I just wanted to put it in to some perspective.

I have shifted a fair few barrels of beer never got so much as a sweat on.and I didn't need steroids

KW

Well done. Were you throwing them over a bar set 12 feet above your head too?

I've moved a few lorries about without steroids too. Except I used the engine rather than dragging it with a strap around my waist.

Well done. Were you throwing them over a bar set 12 feet above your head too?

I've moved a few lorries about without steroids too. Except I used the engine rather than dragging it with a strap around my waist.

I take it my reply went straight over the top then :lol: :lol:

KW

I admire what they have achieved, it a sport that is growing, and more local strongman competitions are popping up. I don't think these guys are taking steroids, they aren't building for shape or looks, like the body builders, that are open about taking steroids, eat plenty, train hard, and you get what you put in.

Doc Holliday- the backside thing was more a reference to the width of their backs and size of their arms I don't see how they can physically wipe their own backsides.

I don't doubt they get physically drained down the gym I use to do weights but purely to keep in shape rather than to become big and I use to ache like **** after a good session. I appreciate the effort they must put in but surely it gets to a point where getting bigger is detrimental to your health and not worth it.

Doc Holliday- the backside thing was more a reference to the width of their backs and size of their arms I don't see how they can physically wipe their own backsides.

I don't doubt they get physically drained down the gym I use to do weights but purely to keep in shape rather than to become big and I use to ache like **** after a good session. I appreciate the effort they must put in but surely it gets to a point where getting bigger is detrimental to your health and not worth it.

I'd like to think that most would have the good sense to stop before it got to the 'I can't quite reach' stage. Maybe there's a marketing opportunity for someone there. I'm thinking along the lines of a cat's scratching pole, but with tear off paper on it. Any takers? Sealed bids via PM please.

I'd like to think that most would have the good sense to stop before it got to the 'I can't quite reach' stage. Maybe there's a marketing opportunity for someone there. I'm thinking along the lines of a cat's scratching pole, but with tear off paper on it. Any takers? Sealed bids via PM please.

here you go

http://www.danztools.com/

Also Colin, centre of gravity has something to do with it. The 5'4" guy could probably out squat the 6'4" but then he wouldn't stand a chance on Fingal's fingers, so to speak.

lol but i am 5ft 5inch not 5ft 4inch

i was getting at strength to weight if they are lifting the atlas stones and the biggest is say 200kg yeah that's heavy but they weigh that so they are lifting their body weight,

where as a smaller guy say 100 kg who lifts a 100kg atlas stone well that don't look to impressive when in reality it's every bit a big an achievement.

well that's my thoughts,

at best i weighed 170lb and my best ever squatt lift was 7 at 527lb more than 3 times my body weight,

colin

I admire what they have achieved, it a sport that is growing, and more local strongman competitions are popping up. I don't think these guys are taking steroids, they aren't building for shape or looks, like the body builders, that are open about taking steroids, eat plenty, train hard, and you get what you put in.

steriods are not just for size and shape,

anabolic steriods are

androgenic are for building strength not size

colin

oh and a lot more are using them than you may think