Dog Flap Install - UPVC door or brick wall

twitchynik

We have two choices to install the dog flap for the new pup. Either through the kitchen door or the dining room external wall.

Kitchen door option would require a step to be built outside to help the dog get to it. It can then have the run of the kitchen (with dog basket etc) and the back garden during the night and daytime.

The dining room wall option wouldn't require the step but obviously will be going through some brick work. I could then install a crate with two doors so we can have the choice of outside, crate and/or dining room. Or I could just leave it as per the kitchen door.

I remember seeing Beardo's crate access to the outside and thinking it was a good idea which is why I'm contemplating it but am trying to weigh up the pro's and con's.

What do the PW masses think? Any hints, tips or experiences of either?

TIA

If you have a single full width panel in the bottom of your door i'd try that first as you can always just put a new panel in for a few quid if you dont like it. Blocking up a great hole in your wall if you change your mind will be more costly.

Just my 2p's worth

You don't want to be knocking big holes in an external wall unless you totally understand how. In the door is easy to kick in for a burglar, why does a dog need a flap anyhow

I agree, also agree on why they need one, I have a 13 week old pup and he jus hits the keys in the door when he wants to go out. You only have to do this on cold days otherwise door is left open. Also got him in a routine when we go to bed so does he, so he doesn't go out at night

I agree, also agree on why they need one, I have a 13 week old pup and he jus hits the keys in the door when he wants to go out. You only have to do this on cold days otherwise door is left open. Also got him in a routine when we go to bed so does he, so he doesn't go out at night

You'll have to send me the details of training for that. Sounds perfect.... ;) I might have to build him a small ladder to get to the lock but I don't see him struggling with it.

Thanks for the feedback all.

You'll have to send me the details of training for that. Sounds perfect.... ;) I might have to build him a small ladder to get to the lock but I don't see him struggling with it.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Lol, his fine cause his a lanky lab, think iv been lucky he jus started jumping at door then hit bunch of keys in lock, when he relished we came when we heard the keys he just does it ever time now. I'm quite lucky as Im self employed runny big sites I have a site office so from next week he will start coming to work with me

If its a rock door then that is a solid panel and could most probably stand a panel other than that i wouldn't bother get it a kennel

The most unreliable doors I have ever worked with and way overpriced to the domestic market. Cut into one? No I shouldn't they are trouble enough as they stand

Personally I'd forget the idea and just house train the pup. The idea of being able to get in and out at will in this weather is horrendous my two are bad enough at bringing mud in when they get cleaned each time they come in.

Oh gosh and anything else they find interesting out there and decide it needs to come back with them- YUK!

House training is a no brainer. More to do with shelter/comfort when dog is left alone.

Kennel/shed adaption is an option. Agree that outside muck being brought in isn't the best.

It depends how long and how old but I'd look for a local to let the dog out if it's going to be more than 6hours or so assuming a decent walk before being left. The other side of this is a dog free in the garden is pretty easy to steal if the do as you likes figure out that's what you do

Having a situation where a dog is able to enter and exit the house at will, at all times and in all weathers, would be a nightmare.

Apart from the wet and dirt being carried in, there are security issues, potential neighbour/noise nuisance, etc.

If you want the dog to have outside "freedom", then build a decent kennel and run and let it live outdoors.

I have house trained dogs and had dogs that lived outside in kennels, both situations are easy to manage.

I don't know anyone who has a dog flap.

From a purely training point of view it would be a nightmare.

Ur dog is free all day to do wot it pleases, it could pick up so many bad habits. Lot of farmers dogs or toffs dogs are similar open door in morning and dogs left to please themselves all day, chasing or anything else they want. Then they wonder why they won't listen on a shoot day. Seen plenty of very expensive bought fully trained dogs ruined in no time by being allowed to roam and chase all day

Also very few gardens are 100% dog proof if a dog was left to it's own devices for long periods of time

Like everyone has said house or kennel or possibly a combination, run throu day house at nite?

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I'm going to support this one because I installed a plexidor in our house for the Doberman.

I would agree about the training as if you've got a dog that's liable to bring all kinds of **** indoors it could be a problem. Although to be fair the nasty **** you refer to shouldn't be there anyway!

Unless your garden is large, chasing things won't be a problem because it won't be there if it has any sense after a while, barking should just be trained out anyways.

Dirt is caught using turtle mats and towels and usually his feet are clean by the time he has made his way from utility to kitchen.

Dog can be watered outside if it's a bit of a slobberer or likes to submarine and make a general mess with water.

I would advise though that some fundamental training is well instilled as like some of the above say it does give carte Blanche to some habits so you just have to be sensible about it but it is better than nose does on the bifold doors or battering them and scratching the glass because he wants to go see his stable girls terriers.

Security is an issue I will agree as plenty dogs get stolen but that's something you'll have to judge for yourself. We can leave him for quite a long time and feel happy he's ok. The door comes with a steel plate that can be screwed to the inside which is secure and a lock for the doors but that's not to great tbh.

I can fit thought the doors but I'm not a big guy, great when the missus locks me out when I've been up the pub!

If installing in a wall bear in mind the thickness of the wall as its a fair step for a dog, I would recommend a door for a small to medium sized dog as the door should only be as high shoulder to chest.

Dog goes out all hours but mainly 4.30am first thing is the time I wouldn't let him out

Double glazed, doesn't blow open in a gale, no draughts etc etc.

Sorry about the rambling, hope it helps.

Personally I'd forget the idea and just house train the pup. The idea of being able to get in and out at will in this weather is horrendous my two are bad enough at bringing mud in when they get cleaned each time they come in.

this seriously just spend the time effort house training (you could do the key idea it also works with a small bell you ring it every time you take the dog outside to do its business and it should pick up the idea after a while) but honestly the amount of mud your dog will bring into the house will just be a complete nightmare especially when its wet/raining

archie after spending 5 minutes outside in the rain unsupervised today...

adb17b66aa.jpg