10 Bore Homeloads

I'm planning on getting a 10 bore before the start of next season, probably a side by side.

What loads are people using for steel? I've got the clay game data sheets for alliant 381 and CSB0 as i use both powders for 12 bore duck loads. I've got some alliant steel here as well but no data.

Considering getting some hevi-shot ( or similar from america ) as well.

I've probably got to make a trip up to Hull soon so though i might as well pop in to Clay Game while i'm in the area and pick up components.

thanks

mat

Edited by Big Mat

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning on getting a 10 bore before the start of next season, probably a side by side.

What loads are people using for steel? I've got the clay game data sheets for alliant 381 and CSB0 as i use both powders for 12 bore duck loads. I've got some alliant steel here as well but no data.

Considering getting some hevi-shot ( or similar from america ) as well.

I've probably got to make a trip up to Hull soon so though i might as well pop in to Clay Game while i'm in the area and pick up components.

thanks

mat

you can ask a dozen reloaders and get a dozen answers If you are getting a fixed choke sxs you may have to craft the loads to the gun . I use tps wads and 381 and I like to buffer the large shot like BBB/4.75mm and T.5.1mm but if you like smaller shot like 4mm the buffer wont help much . Iv seen some good patterns with csbo and sam1 wads posted on another forum . my best advice is If you are just getting a 10g on a whim dont bother they are far more costly to shoot than the 31/2"12 and can take a lot of getting used to some people just shoot better with a 12g . I love my gold ten and would not be without it but it took me some time to get to grips with it and use it to its full and the outlay to start reloading for it is high cases at £34 for a 100 and TPS wads at £18 a 100 but the choice is yours so good luck with your new project

cheers Nick

you can ask a dozen reloaders and get a dozen answers If you are getting a fixed choke sxs you may have to craft the loads to the gun . I use tps wads and 381 and I like to buffer the large shot like BBB/4.75mm and T.5.1mm but if you like smaller shot like 4mm the buffer wont help much . Iv seen some good patterns with csbo and sam1 wads posted on another forum . my best advice is If you are just getting a 10g on a whim dont bother they are far more costly to shoot than the 31/2"12 and can take a lot of getting used to some people just shoot better with a 12g . I love my gold ten and would not be without it but it took me some time to get to grips with it and use it to its full and the outlay to start reloading for it is high cases at £34 for a 100 and TPS wads at £18 a 100 but the choice is yours so good luck with your new project

cheers Nick

Thanks Nick, i'd probably be loading BBB and 2s for it. If all goes to plan, gun will probably be used alot on the shore next season.

Alliant give some loads on their website. I use the One with SAM1 wads after trying the other three also. Steel powder from Alliant and the SAM1 is the way forwards IMO.

I don't get the comments about the 12ga super mag being cheaper to load for, I suppose it depends were you buy from though I don't find it that way. My 10 ga beats the 12 ga 3 1/2" on patterns and also on retained energy, don't know why in the latter case but its quite evident at 50 yds the 10 ga will blast near enough all the shot through 12mm ply and the 12 will put an odd few through. I prefer 42 grm BBB in the left barrel and no.2 in the right, my gun is choked 1/2 in the left and sort of slack half in the right. The S/S 10 kicks less with the load suggested than my 12 ga super mag which is actually a gas op auto, I put this down to the additional weight of the gun but still the others a gas op?

kent it does depend on where you get your cases and wads from 3 1/2" 12 ched cases are less than half the price of 10g cheds the 10g sam1 wads are as cheep as you will find at £13 a hundred you can get 250 B&P 44S for the same money

So what your basically saying is clay and game have the Cheddite thing stitched up to how they want it to be and its cheaper to shoot 12ga if you are buying your components from them.

I don't have an issue with the cost of my 10ga shells, they work out cheaper than factory made 12 ga super magnums and in all fairness its not like I shoot hundreds of them a season in fact even doubt I do much more than 50 per season. I use Remington cases salvaged from some factory I bought and got another 100 virgin cases sent in from Ballistic products in the USA. My dealer got me a good deal on a goodly stock of "steel" powder and also the primers (postage on these is crazy) and the SAM1 wads came from GAEPRELOADING in Scotland. The local dealer also got me the shot in from Gamebore

I've used the C&G 381 loads but have modified them a bit. I found 44gr 381 and 46gm (1 5/8oz) a bit lively in my AYA SBS so I've reduced the shot to 43gm using 3.25mm (No.3) shot.

This gives a nice, dense pattern from my 1/4 and 1/2 chokes and gives clean kills on widgeon out to 50yds.

Pellets in load = 288. At 50 yds on the pattern plate this gives 112 pellets (39%) in 30'' circle for 1/4 choke and 130 pellets (45%) for 1/2 choke.

For goose loads I've reduced the powder to 42gr and used 46gm of 3.75mm (No.1) shot.

Pellets in load = 211. Pellet counts at 50yd were 88 (41%) for 1/4 choke and 97 (46%) for 1/2 choke.

The 30'' pellet counts don't tell the whole story as outside of the circle pellets were fairly evenly distributed and may have given a lethal pattern 36'' wide. I need to do more trials on this in the summer. Also want to try mica wad lube.

My reason for going over to home loads was not only cost but dissatisfaction with factory loads. Using Remington Sportsman steel in No2 about half of the ducks I shot were not cleanly killed. I dismantled a shell and found that they were US No.2 = 3.81mm and had 173 pellets in the load. I didn't pattern these but using the % above I think I was getting 65 to 75 pellets in the 30 '' pattern, way too open for duck. No problem with velocity/ energy as many of the ducks shot had pellets go clean through them. I just wonder if claimed velocity of 1500fps was blowing open an already thin pattern.

So what your basically saying is clay and game have the Cheddite thing stitched up to how they want it to be and its cheaper to shoot 12ga if you are buying your components from them.

I don't have an issue with the cost of my 10ga shells, they work out cheaper than factory made 12 ga super magnums and in all fairness its not like I shoot hundreds of them a season in fact even doubt I do much more than 50 per season. I use Remington cases salvaged from some factory I bought and got another 100 virgin cases sent in from Ballistic products in the USA. My dealer got me a good deal on a goodly stock of "steel" powder and also the primers (postage on these is crazy) and the SAM1 wads came from GAEPRELOADING in Scotland. The local dealer also got me the shot in from Gamebore

thats not quite what im saying if you switch from a 12g to a 10g you will notice the price rise of wads and cases plus the extra time and postage getting these to your door norman clark is a better place to pick up ched cases in both sizes clay game tends to be top end prices though the new owner has tried to get things down where poss . me and a few off the wild fowl forum had 250kg of mixed steel shot off him and got the price down to £2.40 a kg and split it same with 381 powder but you just cant get cheep wads for the 10g as they all come from the states and if like me you shoot 300 plus rounds of 10g a year you have to realy want /enjoy shooting one if not stick to a 12g

thats not quite what im saying if you switch from a 12g to a 10g you will notice the price rise of wads and cases plus the extra time and postage getting these to your door norman clark is a better place to pick up ched cases in both sizes clay game tends to be top end prices though the new owner has tried to get things down where poss . me and a few off the wild fowl forum had 250kg of mixed steel shot off him and got the price down to £2.40 a kg and split it same with 381 powder but you just cant get cheep wads for the 10g as they all come from the states and if like me you shoot 300 plus rounds of 10g a year you have to realy want /enjoy shooting one if not stick to a 12g

Thanks for the heads up on Norman Clarke, never even knew he did shot shell stuff. I must admit I don't see how I could fire 300 12 ga on the marsh a season, my average a flight on the saltings is normally under 1/2 dozen even with the 12 ga. What are you actually shooting at?

Thanks for the heads up on Norman Clarke, never even knew he did shot shell stuff. I must admit I don't see how I could fire 300 12 ga on the marsh a season, my average a flight on the saltings is normally under 1/2 dozen even with the 12 ga. What are you actually shooting at?

sorry I dont find that so . I dont do numbers on forums I shoot better than three shots per bird and i do shoot over 300 shells

sheck out old post "shep whites" bumped it for you

Edited by UK fowler

Does it matter how many he fires? I asked about loading for 10 bore not how many you use a year.

Edited by Big Mat

Numbers is relevant when your buying in your components. If UK fowler fires that many a season fair enough I just don't know any others who do, so I shouldn't rush out to buy in large bulk especially if you intend to still use a 12 ga or whatever for your ducking. My family of four simply couldn't eat 100 geese a season so it makes no odds for me to attempt so many, I am not doubting your ability to hit them - its just very unusual to shoot that many ten bore shells and this should be born in mind when setting up to load

I wont be buying in bulk, i'll buy cases and wads in the smallest quantity ( 100s probably ) i can the same as i do with my 12. I've got enough shot and powder here to last me a season or

two.

gaepreloading in Scotland keeps stock of 10 ga sam1 and uses them himself, wads come in big bulky bags anyhow you do right not keeping large amounts. I like Mica dust BTW ( level teaspoon in bag and shake em up!) it lowers pressures and gets things a bit more consistent IMO

Has anyone had any problems putting steel through 10g sbs?

I'm assuming these guns aren't steel proofed. I've been think of going down the 10b route. I already load 12g 3 1/2, plus I quite like the idea of using a more traditional gun.

I use an AYA 10b SBS proofed to 1200Kg/cm2, choke 1/4 and 1/2. I've used Remington 3 1/2 inch, 1050bar, 1500fps cartridges and my own loads derived from C&G data. Never had a problem with either. 1200kg = 1176bar. Check the proof marks before you buy.

I use an AYA 10b SBS proofed to 1200Kg/cm2, choke 1/4 and 1/2. I've used Remington 3 1/2 inch, 1050bar, 1500fps cartridges and my own loads derived from C&G data. Never had a problem with either. 1200kg = 1176bar. Check the proof marks before you buy.

Iv'e a Ugartechea 10b SBS proofed as above, I intend to have it bored out this summer 1/4 and 1/2, for steel. are you happy with the choke or would you change it?

Iv'e a Ugartechea 10b SBS proofed as above, I intend to have it bored out this summer 1/4 and 1/2, for steel. are you happy with the choke or would you change it?

These chokes are fine with the right cartridge/load/shot size. See copy paste below from my earlier post. The percentages may seem low but these were patterned at 50yds.

I've used the C&G 381 loads but have modified them a bit. I found 44gr 381 and 46gm (1 5/8oz) a bit lively in my AYA SBS so I've reduced the shot to 43gm using 3.25mm (No.3) shot.

This gives a nice, dense pattern from my 1/4 and 1/2 chokes and gives clean kills on widgeon out to 50yds.

Pellets in load = 288. At 50 yds on the pattern plate this gives 112 pellets (39%) in 30'' circle for 1/4 choke and 130 pellets (45%) for 1/2 choke.

For goose loads I've reduced the powder to 42gr and used 46gm of 3.75mm (No.1) shot.

Pellets in load = 211. Pellet counts at 50yd were 88 (41%) for 1/4 choke and 97 (46%) for 1/2 choke.

The 30'' pellet counts don't tell the whole story as outside of the circle pellets were fairly evenly distributed and may have given a lethal pattern 36'' wide. I need to do more trials on this in the summer. Also want to try mica wad lube.

My reason for going over to home loads was not only cost but dissatisfaction with factory loads. Using Remington Sportsman steel in No2 about half of the ducks I shot were not cleanly killed. I dismantled a shell and found that they were US No.2 = 3.81mm and had 173 pellets in the load. I didn't pattern these but using the % above I think I was getting 65 to 75 pellets in the 30 '' pattern at 50yds, way too open for duck. No problem with velocity/ energy as many of the ducks shot had pellets go clean through them. I just wonder if claimed velocity of 1500fps was blowing open an already thin pattern.