xtrail

eddoakley

Was just about to put a similar post on here.

I'm thinking on getting either a Honda CRV or a Nissan X-Trail, but can't decide which one would be best??

It would need to be a diesel and around the 6 or 7 grand mark.

Am I right in thinking both are permanent 4x4?

And if so, is the power split 50/50?

atb

Jamie

Maybe I can help you with your decision. I had a 53 plate X trail, 2.2 diesel, which I part chopped for an 08 CRV 2.0 petrol, 4 years ago. From the front seats forward, the CRV wins hands down. The engine starts first time in all weathers, except if you have been doing a lot of short hops with all the toys in use, you may find you have to charge the battery overnight (the 2.0 petrol uses a battery just a bit bigger than my magnet battery !!! Far too small for the vehicle) It returns, local running around 28mpg. On a run keeping around 65mph, I can get up to 36mpg. From the drivers seat back, the Xtrail wins. If you have a dog box with sideways opening doors, you will have to raise the front edge of the box to clear the rear door sill. When you open the tailgate in the rain, you WILL get water down your neck, unless you stand back for a minute (now been sorted on later models). With the rear seats folded, you will be hard pushed to put gun or gear in via the side rear doors. The folded seats obstruct the opening. With the rear seats folded, the floor is not flat. The X trail has a completely flat floor and plenty of access via rear side doors, for guns and gear. The rear sill/bumper on the X trail is wide enough to sit on for boot putting on/off or just having a coffee and sandwich. You would not want to sit on the CRV tailgate for long, very narrow and you WILL get covered in road dirt from the bumper. The X trail has more rear under floor space for tow rope, jump leads etc. Strange really, because you will need the jump leads for the CRV, I left the tailgate open during lunch and forgot to turn the boot light off, I needed the jump leads after about 1 1/4 hours. Having been light off roading in both vehicles, you will probably run out of ground clearance before grip, but I have not been stuck.........................yet ! You may have heard all sorts of horror stories about X trail turbo's blowing up. A mechanic suggested that I put a bottle of Slick 50 in after my first oil change and I put my lessons learned from my Land Rover days, about leaving the vehicle on tick over for a few minutes before switching off, especially if you have been clogging it. My X trail is still going strong, having given the current owner 4 years of trouble free motoring. I have kept both vehicles well serviced and maintained, during my ownership. Now, if I can just find someone to 'stick' the front of a CRV to the back of an X Trail, I would have as near perfect small 4 X 4 as one could wish for. Hope this is of some help. W.

Sounds just the job. What year is yours? Not sure if I could stretch to the latest model with the instrument panel where it should be, in front of the driver!! :lol: Have you done much off-road work, if so, how well did it cope?

Cheers

Jamie

This is not such a problem as would first appear. This 'dials in the middle' is very easy to live with. It gives you a good size glove box that the Wife can not reach, it also allows you to put the steering wheel where it is most comfortable and not just where it needs to be, in order to see the dials !

Maybe I can help you with your decision. I had a 53 plate X trail, 2.2 diesel, which I part chopped for an 08 CRV 2.0 petrol, 4 years ago. From the front seats forward, the CRV wins hands down. The engine starts first time in all weathers, except if you have been doing a lot of short hops with all the toys in use, you may find you have to charge the battery overnight (the 2.0 petrol uses a battery just a bit bigger than my magnet battery !!! Far too small for the vehicle) It returns, local running around 28mpg. On a run keeping around 65mph, I can get up to 36mpg. From the drivers seat back, the Xtrail wins. If you have a dog box with sideways opening doors, you will have to raise the front edge of the box to clear the rear door sill. When you open the tailgate in the rain, you WILL get water down your neck, unless you stand back for a minute (now been sorted on later models). With the rear seats folded, you will be hard pushed to put gun or gear in via the side rear doors. The folded seats obstruct the opening. With the rear seats folded, the floor is not flat. The X trail has a completely flat floor and plenty of access via rear side doors, for guns and gear. The rear sill/bumper on the X trail is wide enough to sit on for boot putting on/off or just having a coffee and sandwich. You would not want to sit on the CRV tailgate for long, very narrow and you WILL get covered in road dirt from the bumper. The X trail has more rear under floor space for tow rope, jump leads etc. Strange really, because you will need the jump leads for the CRV, I left the tailgate open during lunch and forgot to turn the boot light off, I needed the jump leads after about 1 1/4 hours. Having been light off roading in both vehicles, you will probably run out of ground clearance before grip, but I have not been stuck.........................yet ! You may have heard all sorts of horror stories about X trail turbo's blowing up. A mechanic suggested that I put a bottle of Slick 50 in after my first oil change and I put my lessons learned from my Land Rover days, about leaving the vehicle on tick over for a few minutes before switching off, especially if you have been clogging it. My X trail is still going strong, having given the current owner 4 years of trouble free motoring. I have kept both vehicles well serviced and maintained, during my ownership. Now, if I can just find someone to 'stick' the front of a CRV to the back of an X Trail, I would have as near perfect small 4 X 4 as one could wish for. Hope this is of some help. W.

Thanks for the imput Westley, much appreciated :good:

Nothing compares to an owners perspective or 2.

Sounds like the X-Trail is the way to go....

I'm kind of stuck between 2 ways off dealing with my family car vs shooting truck issue. It's either get rid of the family car, (kids much older now) and go with a 'light' shooting truck like the X-Trail. Or, based on the fact that I do most of my shooting on my main permission; buy an MOT failure small 4x4 and leave it at this particular permission, and make it very 'shooter friendly', as in remove the rear seats, sort a comfortable seat for shooting while I'm sticking out the sunroof, those kind of things. :hmm:

Have you bought your motor yet Edd?

If so, what did you go for?

I think somebody, mentioned whether the X-Trail had any rust problems. I have to say I've had a nose at quite a few while I've passed by on foot in the street, and i'm yet to find a rust bucket....

atb

Jamie

• 1 month later...

I have had my Xtrail 5 years with only some minor issues the transfer box went but that is because i forgot to take it out of 4 wheel lock on a road but other than that its great no rust issues starts every time great off road even driving through water its good the door seals do there job hands down best car i have had and i can get from berkshire to glasgow on a full tank of fuel

as long as you look after it and service it reguarly then its fine plenty of boot space too

I have 53 plate diesel in the shed oilcooler or head gasket gone ok vehicle, but buy the right one. if you look on autotrader

see how many have done over 115k not many at this age. newer ones may be better. father has a 52 santa fe very good mpg and

large inside