air bottle

pellet1

hi I am just getting back to shooting air rifles I have got a webley mk 3 in mint con and used to have airsporter years ago I have just purchased air arms s410 and I now wish to purchase air bottle to fill it I only need a 3ltr as this will serve my purpose where is the best and cheapest place to buy please can any one help with advice much appreciated thanks in advance

Worth Checking Local Dive Centre - The one you planned to get it filled @

Aware some will do deals if aware you will be a regular Customer :good:

There's No great Mark up on them - plus manufactures can not keep up with Demand

Get one with a Air Gun Head - Only needs Testing every Five years - Against Every Two for a Din or A Clamp

@ £40.00 plus soon save the few £'s for a Air Gun Head - Per by annual test

BOB/R

Bob are you actually on this earth?

Visual tests should cost no more than £20, hell the dive school near me charges a tenner! These are done 2 and a half years after the hydro test on diving bottles, not bi-annually, ie every 30 months not every 24 months.

The bottle I have recommended to the new pcp user comes with everything except the Air Arms charging adapter that was supplied with his gun!

Visual tests should cost no more than £20, hell the dive school near me charges a tenner! These are done 2 and a half years after the hydro test on diving bottles, not bi-annually, ie every 30 months not every 24 months.

The bottle I have recommended to the new pcp user comes with everything except the Air Arms charging adapter that was supplied with his gun!

A surface cylinder is 5 years from date of manufacture ...ie a non diving valve (valve with gauge fitted direct to the valve)

The valve and its use change the spec of the test....

TEH

I have found a shop that will fill any size tank to 300 bar for £3.50 and its only a mile from where I live. but there charging kits are a bit expensive 4ltr £199 3ltr £179 I will try to find a second hand one first and I have been told to make sure its in test.thanks

I have found a shop that will fill any size tank to 300 bar for £3.50 and its only a mile from where I live. but there charging kits are a bit expensive 4ltr £199 3ltr £179 I will try to find a second hand one first and I have been told to make sure its in test.thanks

Issue with 2nd Hand is they fail test they will still charge and cost of disposal

A Steel 300 Bar bottle will outlive most users if cared for -

Quoted price they are a Hydro Tech Dealer - As they are the only ones to do a dumpy 4 Litre

BOB/R

Dont buy a small bottle my 9 lt gets charged to often but is probably just the right size

Many Serious Shooters Will buy a 12. Litre and a 3. litre fpr Field / club use - filling from 12 .Litre

As Most places charge the same to fill any size 300 Bar bottles and less trips to Filling Station

Yes you can decant into small Bottles with the correct fittings -

BOB/R

As always stated dearer in the South East -

Again it's down to filling Station / Service Centres - If it goes in water Most want it Tested ever 2 years

But as found out there is No Central Rule - Down to each individual Filling / Service Centre

Also aware many have to send them away for testing - which add's to cost -

Thankfully mine does them in house -

BOB/R

As always stated dearer in the South East -

Again it's down to filling Station / Service Centres - If it goes in water Most want it Tested ever 2 years

But as found out there is No Central Rule - Down to each individual Filling / Service Centre

Also aware many have to send them away for testing - which add's to cost -

Thankfully mine does them in house -

BOB/R

A couple of quick points :

1. The valve setup is what determines if it is suitable for SCUBA usage. If it is, then it requires a visual inspection every 30 months, and a full hydrostatic test every 60 months. Airgun only cylinders are every 60 months

2. There are central rules. They are quite clearly set down by IDEST and by the cylinder manufacturers. While there is nothing stopping a dive centre/gun shop from filling a cylinder that is out of test, IF something went wrong then their insurance would be invalid. Considering that a dive cylinder failing is close to a bomb going off, in terms of shrapnel, then it would be instant bankruptcy, in addition to prosecution by HSE.

One last thing. It is not recommended to 'decant' - say from a 12 litre to a 3 litre, as you may (inadvertently) introduce moisture into the 3 litre tank. I can recall a dive 3 litre 'buddy bottle' where this had been done, and the cylinder later failed, while on the surface. One dog died, and a SCUBA diver lost his arm below the elbow.

Is saving £3 or £4 worth the risk of losing a limb or even death ?

Edited by robbiep

A couple of quick points :

1. The valve setup is what determines if it is suitable for SCUBA usage. If it is, then it requires a visual inspection every 30 months, and a full hydrostatic test every 60 months. Airgun only cylinders are every 60 months

2. There are central rules. They are quite clearly set down by IDEST and by the cylinder manufacturers. While there is nothing stopping a dive centre/gun shop from filling a cylinder that is out of test, IF something went wrong then their insurance would be invalid. Considering that a dive cylinder failing is close to a bomb going off, in terms of shrapnel, then it would be instant bankruptcy, in addition to prosecution by HSE.

One last thing. It is not recommended to 'decant' - say from a 12 litre to a 3 litre, as you may (inadvertently) introduce moisture into the 3 litre tank. I can recall a dive 3 litre 'buddy bottle' where this had been done, and the cylinder later failed, while on the surface. One dog died, and a SCUBA diver lost his arm below the elbow.

Is saving £3 or £4 worth the risk of losing a limb or even death ?

Agree point 1.

Agree point 2 re IDEST. As to dive centres filling out of test cylinders I know it has been done but in the overwhelming majority of cases the IDEST in test sticker is examined or the stamps in the cylinder following the previous test.

As to your point on decanting I have to disagree. Where does this moisture come from? Certainly not from the 12 litre cylinder which would have been filled from a compressor with at least two filter stacks. And the decanting whip would seal both cylinders before decanting took place. So it would not have been introduced from external sources. I have decanted from 300 bar 7's to 3 litre ponies for years without problems. However, I certainly support your general observation on the need for care in handling cylinders and their overall care.

Incidentally, you may wonder my background which allows me to say what I say. It's as a BSAC Advanced Diver and Instructor and I suspect your well intended comments are from a similar background. Our difference is a matter of degree.

Regards

Having tested cylinders for a good number of years and found those which were only filled by us would be spotless inside when it came to the next test.

I re vamped a filtration system from the States so it could be repacked as the disposable cartridge system was not available.

Both compressors had there own filters, then went through a triple filter stack with a separate filter for the air to blend the Nitrox.

I have opened peoples tanks from when they have been used on a weeks diving down the South coast and quite often the specks of rust were forming from the wet pumps.

When we would dive down that way I had a remote filter rig and bridle whip.

Air gunners who came in for fills quite often were dealt with by myself as I would top up there tanks once they had cooled from being filled by the owner as he was a non shooter!

I had every adaptor under the sun and a selection of O-rings...It made good business as a full tank and new O-rings would bring the shooter back with a mate for tanks, filling whips, re-con tanks etc...

TEH

Incidentally, you may wonder my background which allows me to say what I say. It's as a BSAC Advanced Diver and Instructor and I suspect your well intended comments are from a similar background. Our difference is a matter of degree.

Regards

Hi Bobba. While I'm not an instructor (went the 'dark side' techie route), my better half is. She's also an IDEST cylinder tester, and used my QA expertise (I'm a lab manager) to formulate the SOPs that the dive centre uses for testing, so I picked up a fair bit of knowledge on it that way. In addition, I'm just curious about most things, and like to learn.

Going from my wife (and other IDEST testers), the semi-consensus opinion seems to be that only poor practice can be causing the moisture ingress. Basically, cylinders being run to empty, left with valves open when empty, wet whips, valves not being wiped dry before decanting.

It may be unlikely. But it does amuse me that sometimes, airgunners will be spending several hundred pounds on their guns and scopes, but will try to save small sums by skimping on getting a cylinder fill.

Hi Bobba. While I'm not an instructor (went the 'dark side' techie route), my better half is. She's also an IDEST cylinder tester, and used my QA expertise (I'm a lab manager) to formulate the SOPs that the dive centre uses for testing, so I picked up a fair bit of knowledge on it that way. In addition, I'm just curious about most things, and like to learn.

Going from my wife (and other IDEST testers), the semi-consensus opinion seems to be that only poor practice can be causing the moisture ingress. Basically, cylinders being run to empty, left with valves open when empty, wet whips, valves not being wiped dry before decanting.

It may be unlikely. But it does amuse me that sometimes, airgunners will be spending several hundred pounds on their guns and scopes, but will try to save small sums by skimping on getting a cylinder fill.

Hi Robbiep points well made and taken. What is worrying for divers is the the TEH experience of fills on the south coast. post #17. My dive club in Bristol has 2 compressors and Nitrox and trimix facilities and it's working practices set out to ensure no problems of the type we have discussed. Good diving to you and your wife. Me, I'm retiring. Having reached 70 yrs and 20+ years experience, my core strength is reducing (age is a ******) and my own risk assessment suggests it's time to hang up my fins. Still the bright side is more days for shooting. Regards. Bob.