co2 air rifle

chad57

Hi im a newbie from tyne and wear and i'd appreciate any advice on precharged / co2 air rifles. I have a realtree 22 camo which i needed to kill pesky pigeons and although ideal for the job it does disturb my neighbours. What i need is something of similar power but much quieter and of similar power. Someone pointed me in the direction of co2. Are these any good and if so can anyone let me know which make and model are best and at a good price to. I am really wanting to exchange the camo if possible.

rich

PCP's - relatively expensive, totally accurate, so will absolutely do the job, and, fitted with a silencer, are whisper quiet. The power output remains constant whatever the temperature.

I will let others on here argue as to which make is the best.

CO2 - Chinese made CO2 are as cheap as chips, but are variable in quality and power output.

You can, with a little work, improve the quality and the power output - see the chineseairgunforum for details.

Others on here have argued that they are not suitable for live targets.

I own a.177 Logun PCP and a .22 SMK CO2, fitted with silencers, and I am happy with both of them for downing pigeons and squirrels - the SMK is marginally noisier

Edited by amateur

hi there this might be better off in the air gun section anyway hello :good:

thanks for the help linny

Hi Rich Welcome to PW. Enjoy your stay. :good:

PS. I'll move this to the Airgun Section where you should get more help.

thx for that Steve

PCP's - relatively expensive, totally accurate, so will absolutely do the job, and, fitted with a silencer, are whisper quiet. The power output remains constant whatever the temperature.

I will let others on here argue as to which make is the best.

CO2 - Chinese made CO2 are as cheap as chips, but are variable in quality and power output.

You can, with a little work, improve the quality and the power output - see the chineseairgunforum for details.

Others on here have argued that they are not suitable for live targets.

I own a.177 Logun PCP and a .22 SMK CO2, fitted with silencers, and I am happy with both of them for downing pigeons and squirrels - the SMK is marginally noisier

cheers i shall give both a look up via reviews

Have a .177 co2 xs78. Extensively modified and they can become a bit of a money pit, but they can make good guns. In the winter power loss as co2 does not expand as quickly in cold weather, so it tends to stay locked up. If you get one with a bad barrel you are pretty much done for, but the good ones are more than capable.

Prior to modifying it.

post-24172-0-38161300-1392741142_thumb.jpg

Post modifications

post-24172-0-58391900-1392740918_thumb.jpg

In the winter i tend to use the .22 PCP its far more expensive, a bit more accurate and consistent.

I occasionally use a break barrel springer which has been tuned quite a bit but with tuning you can get these as quiet as any other gun, with spring guns the noise is mechanical as apposed to from the muzzle so you cant just stick a silencer on a springer and hope it solves all your problems.

James.

Have a .177 co2 xs78. Extensively modified and they can become a bit of a money pit, but they can make good guns. In the winter power loss as co2 does not expand as quickly in cold weather, so it tends to stay locked up. If you get one with a bad barrel you are pretty much done for, but the good ones are more than capable.

Prior to modifying it.

attachicon.gifXS78 Rabbiting..jpg

Post modifications

attachicon.gifkkk.jpg

In the winter i tend to use the .22 PCP its far more expensive, a bit more accurate and consistent.

I occasionally use a break barrel springer which has been tuned quite a bit but with tuning you can get these as quiet as any other gun, with spring guns the noise is mechanical as apposed to from the muzzle so you cant just stick a silencer on a springer and hope it solves all your problems.

James.

that looks a pretty neat rifle James i wouldnt know where to start as regards modification so hopefully i will find a decent one up to standard.

that looks a pretty neat rifle James i wouldnt know where to start as regards modification so hopefully i will find a decent one up to standard.

The SMK's are by reputation variable in quality, and you won't know, until you've got it, whether it is of a decent standard or not.

You do not need to be a mechanical genius to strip one down and the Stephen Archer QB78 workshop manual ( see http://www.archerairguns.com ) is a good starting point

@ amateur,

- From what i have seen the quality of the newer 78 and 79's are much better than they ever have been in the past couple of friends have bought them recently and the quality of finish is better than on mine, inside and out.

@ Chad

- dont go via archer airguns who will charge you for simple information. You can tune these guns with a tuning kit that costs about 10 quid and some sand paper, join up on the UK Chinese air gun forum all the knowledge you need is on there for free.

I have a 78 modded with bulk fill and brought up to power an suppressor fitted. The whole thing cost me less than a second hand mid range springer. There is a guy on ukchineseairguns called porkyyorky ( Dave) who works wonders with these thing for a very reasonable cost. Performance wise it is a cracking rifle very accurate with an ok shot count. Temp changes don't effect them as much as is made out but it is a variable you need to take into account when zeroing on a days hunting. Still have mine and would not sell although it doesn't get much of a run out now my r10 is fit again and old faithfull is alway ready to go.

In short don't dismiss them as the are an affordable way into what can be a costly hobby and they produce great results.

And welcome btw

Edited by nobby

Dont own one so i really cant say too much, from what i have heard they are over priced for the build quality, a lot of plastic, where as the qb's or xs' are all metal, accuracy from what i have seen is OK, but not great, from what i have seen the xs or qb beats it accuracy wise.

Things to mod the the qb or xs 79 or 78's that i consider Essential to drastically improve performance for little work.

- Metal barrel band - while always expensive, not only are they cosmetically nice, but far more secure than the plastic one's as standard, even when really good and tight i found my barrel would move marginally when traveling in the car to the point where i would miss a mill dot to the left or right whichever way it had moved, which was incredibly frustrating. I finally coughed up and it was uniquely worthwhile, improves consistency and accuracy.

- Stripped down cleaned and polished - Take it all apart and polish everything to a mirror shine, when new they come covered in a rust coloured anti rust lube, which is usually gritty with metal filings and stuff from manufacturing, polishing all the tubes, the bolt, the recessed that the bolt slides in, makes a drastic difference, the feel of the gun turns from icky to buttery smooth, it also improves consistency of the gun, re lube with some silicone based grease, applying a thin film to parts.

- Polish the trigger contact surface and the sear, makes the trigger smoother, while your at it adjust the travel and over travel and weight, you can make a pretty mice trigger from these guns.

- Replace the factory seals with a kit available from woodfield GCP ( no connection ) the seals are good quality and last. Also the kit comes with new gas tubes to breach seals which drastically alters performance, increasing power. There are lots of other power modifications, you should have access to a crono to make sure you are legal. All other mods can be found on UK Chinese airgun forum, for free.

James.

- Metal barrel band - while always expensive, not only are they cosmetically nice, but far more secure than the plastic one's as standard, even when really good and tight i found my barrel would move marginally when traveling in the car to the point where i would miss a mill dot to the left or right whichever way it had moved, which was incredibly frustrating. I finally coughed up and it was uniquely worthwhile, improves consistency and accuracy. The plastic one will break if you tighten it up too much, so (inevitably) you have to buy a metal one!

- Stripped down cleaned and polished - Take it all apart and polish everything to a mirror shine, when new they come covered in a rust coloured anti rust lube, which is usually gritty with metal filings and stuff from manufacturing, polishing all the tubes, the bolt, the recessed that the bolt slides in, makes a drastic difference, the feel of the gun turns from icky to buttery smooth, it also improves consistency of the gun, re lube with some silicone based grease, applying a thin film to parts.

- Polish the trigger contact surface and the sear, makes the trigger smoother, while your at it adjust the travel and over travel and weight, you can make a pretty mice trigger from these guns.

- Replace the factory seals with a kit available from woodfield GCP ( no connection ) the seals are good quality and last. Also the kit comes with new gas tubes to breach seals which drastically alters performance, increasing power. There are lots of other power modifications, you should have access to a crono to make sure you are legal. All other mods can be found on UK Chinese airgun forum, for free.

James.

I agree

Hi im a newbie from tyne and wear and i'd appreciate any advice on precharged / co2 air rifles. I have a realtree 22 camo which i needed to kill pesky pigeons and although ideal for the job it does disturb my neighbours. What i need is something of similar power but much quieter and of similar power. Someone pointed me in the direction of co2. Are these any good and if so can anyone let me know which make and model are best and at a good price to. I am really wanting to exchange the camo if possible.

rich

Or rather than buying one and modding one, just buy a second hand PCP - a 177 for a flatter trajectory, quite good on the pigeons. Or a .22 for a slightly heavier hit but a loopier trajectory.

get a half decent one and charging gear at a sensible price and you won't regret it.

you can get a ready modded one with changed stock, bulk fill and suppressor fitted, tuned upto 11.5ftlbs for about £250 you'd be hard pushed to get a pcp and charging gear for that.

pcps undoubtedly have the edge on the co2 over all but if it wasn't for my co2 I doubt I would have stuck at the sport as a newbie to progress to pcp. Bearing in mind that a second hand tx200 would cost you the price of a new modded xs78.

How do those Crosman rabbit magnum jobbies stake up fellers?

I bought one a good few years back, just takes one 12 gram bulb so about 30 shots per charge. About 9ft lb, a bit more in hot weather. I used an old Sheridan scope mount bit couldn't keep it from slight movement. It now resides my loft along with an smk that I bought from inglodmells market in 2005. Lost my fussy with that as well. I reckon co2 is best used for the rapid fire pistol's that offer more fun in my opinion.