Spaniel quartering

dann boy

I read somewhere that you should pre plant x amount of tennis balls or dummies in an area then work the dog towards that area within gun shot range at all times, if you can do this somewhere enclosed or of limited space, the theory is the dog soon learns that it does not have to work as far in front of you to find what they are hunting.

My cocker just starting to push the limits on her distance so I might try this myself.

I'm tightening my spaniel up again as well. I start by facing 90degrees to the direction I want to walk and send the dog in that direction, as soon as the dog is sent in the direction i'm facing I about turn and walk the other way call the dog so it see's me walking away. I want the dog to run long my side and in front of me. As soon as its 5 yards in front I repeat, turn the other way and call the dog. I don't worry too much about the turn whistle again, I just clap or make a noise to get the dogs attention so it see's me walking away. The dog shgould run past me again. I will drop a tennis ball at my feet BUT DO NOT LET THE DOG SEE YOU DO THIS!!!!!! If it see's you dropping the ball it will become sticky as it know's you have the retrieves.

Gradually I will straighten out my walk until the dog is quartering. But this doesn't happen over night.

If you do go down the pre planted ball route, make sure you know where every one is and when the dog finds it, it is by your feet. I would also make sure the wind is blowing from behind you so it doesn't draw out further on scent.

Forgot to add, if the dog does run on further than it should, get after it and bring it back to the area it should be.

The problem with pre planting tennis balls is not only the time to set it up but the dog will soon learn the more it goes out the more it will find,in my opinion it is better to drop a tennis ball or dummy after the dog has gone past then call it back to work the same ground it will then learn that by calling back you know better and there is something there after all

im no dog expert but my first spaniel was trained on short cover/grass and got "skylark" fever ! and he soon lost interest and started to use his eye more than his nose and started to pull way out infront...all the other spaniels i had after that were trained in long grass/cover/ditches /dykes which held their attention...never did have a problem after that

hope that helps

( it helps to remember what the spaniel was "invented" for,,,running around a large field for the spanish grandee on horseback with a hawk )

if left unchecked it will revert to type..............try working the dog/training it on a longline and using hand and whistle signals.....i say hand as these dogs do go deaf sometimes

A quick look on the web looks like you are right I stand corrected :good:

i believe they are the oldest "bird dog" brought into the uk by traders tooing and frooing from portugal and spain in the 11-13th century.........the earliest we see of them are in 15th cent spainish oil paintings and they are black and white....we dont see pictorial evidence of them in the uk until early geogian times and they are liver and white i think

I had this trouble with this and found that putting in an eliment of control into the situation in the way of a check cord went some way to help tighten up. I didn't like using thin or nylon cord or bale twine as it cuts in horribly so I set about designing and making a specific tool for the job.

See my post here sales if your interested http://.forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/274904-6-meter-gundog-training-leads/