.22 Hornet

After recently purchasing a .22 Hornet, and also obtaining many cases and a set of Redding dies, I'm going to start re-loading. I already reload for .22-250 and .243.

I bought a box of Hornady 35 gn bullets @ £19.20 for 25 (76.8p each) I worked out that the cost per round to reload works out at 28.21p. What a difference in price, almost 2/3rds cheaper.

Look at something with a better BC and it will fly flatter and hit harder. 35 v-max only offer slightly higher muzzle velocity yet soon loose the plot compared to mostly 40-45 grain offerings, the 35's are though the most frangible. You either love it or hate it after a bit of use, I am defiantly in the former group and love it for what it is Unique!

Good choice Steve you won't go wrong with them. If you can get a good supply !

Go easy on those really thin cases in the press.

if you catch one with the de capping pin wave it goodbye.

And a good investment is a case flaring tool as they can be buckled seating the bullet.

My opinion is a std reloading press is to numb and clumsy for the little hornet case. I use benchrest hand dies and often I don't even bother with the little arbour press. Your not needing to knock shoulders back and you certainly don't need the leverage you might with some of the big magnum cases.

The hornet can be easily be reloaded at the range or even on a coffee table while sat on the sofa watching tv. Search L.E. Wilson Benchrest dies for more info.

BTW. Concentricity is the biggest key to accuracy with it, this is why Lee crimp dies and chamber type benchrest dies are so much used by experienced Hornet guys

that's why I love my little 17 hornet. I brought a bunch of bullets back from the US a couple years ago so got them at cheaper prices and with a good exchange rate. I had a load of primers that I picked up cheaply. My 17 AH reloads are under 20p each which is about the going rate for HMR, except instead of 2550 with a 17 gr bullet I'm pushing 3600 with a 20 gr bullet with more consistency and accuracy. What's not to like?

thanks,

rick

You can get setup with a Lee loader for around £40 all in with the other hand tools you'll need.

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164_181_474&products_id=1743

Ideal if you are not using 100 rounds a night, I load 100 .44 Mag at a time on mine with no issues. Plus it only neck sizes the case so they'll last longer.

Edited by Livefast123

Sorry to hijack but how much would it set you back to start reloading .22 hornet roughly?

Not counting the cost of dies and cases(as I had these when I bought the rifle) one round will cost approx 28p. The cheapest way of re loading is to buy a Lee Loader from Henry Kranks, which is just under £30.00 inc pp.

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164_181_474&products_id=1743

Not counting the cost of dies and cases(as I had these when I bought the rifle) one round will cost approx 28p. The cheapest way of re loading is to buy a Lee Loader from Henry Kranks, which is just under £30.00 inc pp.

About the cost of factory 12 ga shells then, components have gone up so much of late, used to be just sun .20pence. I always though the trade might keep the prices high if people still paid them during the ammo scare. Still cheap enough with the Hornet