new stickmaker

bryanhu2

Stickmakers are always experimenting with different materials. The best wood? depends but good straight Hazel and long (a rare find) and nobbly blackthorn are the favourites for almost opposite reasons.

Try

Stickmaking a complete course by Andrew Jones and Clive George try www.gmcbooks ISBN 978-1-86108-522-1

hazel and sweetchestnut make great sticks . the sweetchestnut is one of my favorites. enclosed a picture of a thumb stick i made of sweetchestnut and a lime thumbstick top. i get some of my better stick blanks from a place called "highland horn" its worth paying a little for a good stick

That looks very nice indeed.

Who said the top is lime? That looks very much like elm to me.

hazel and sweetchestnut make great sticks . the sweetchestnut is one of my favorites. enclosed a picture of a thumb stick i made of sweetchestnut and a lime thumbstick top. i get some of my better stick blanks from a place called "highland horn" its worth paying a little for a good stick

Very nice work, that is :)

Hold on - paying for sticks?

But they grow on trees! Perhaps I'm a little spoilt - Kent scouts have a camp site in some mixed woodland with a lot of hazel and chestnut coppice, so there is an ample supply of free sticks.

As above, ash is a bit heavy for a walking stick, but great for handles and working stuff, as it is tough as a tough thing, as you might expect from the name: from 'aesc', meaning spear (Anglo Saxon).

Edited by CaptainBeaky

Very nice work, that is :)

Hold on - paying for sticks?

- Kent scouts have a camp site in some mixed woodland with a lot of hazel and chestnut coppice, so there is an ample supply of free sticks.

unless they own the woodland, it's still theft

I let people camp in my woodland, does not give them the right to take my wood

Never bought a stick yet.

Something to do whilst waiting for the fowling season to come around again.

oh i have plenty of blanks in the shed , of hazel and about a dozen blackthorn , but no sweetchestnut around here . i also have a bog oak tree a farmer gave me . but there is a lot of waste in it . when you thing a set of scales for a knife ( 5" x1" x1/4" ) sell for about £8 . i could retire.......................again :lol:

Stickmakers are always experimenting with different materials. The best wood? depends but good straight Hazel and long (a rare find) and nobbly blackthorn are the favourites for almost opposite reasons.

Try

Stickmaking a complete course by Andrew Jones and Clive George try www.gmcbooks ISBN 978-1-86108-522-1

+1