Snobbery or just rude

Davyo

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but seriously folks I do not think there is any such thing as snobbery in shooting.i think all that exists is the inferiority complex of some when in the company of those who have reached a time in their life when they can afford some of the finer things in life.it comes to most in the end.todays hatsan shooter is tomorrows perazzi man.and boy how you will laugh about the dark days then.also do not despair as you will also grow out of the auto/pump phase to.have fun atb

And in this statement you show all that is conceited and wrong with certain members of shooting, just because some thing is more expensive does not always make it better,and if you believe that then it is you who has a complex,you are condescending in your attitude of people who you believe should aspire to better things,and childish to suggest people will grow out of the auto/pump phase.

I have a £50 belgian sxs that will shoot as well in the hands of a good shot as the top of the range shotgun,it is the person behind the trigger not the gun.You are without doubt a shotgun snob.

I have a £50 belgian sxs that will shoot as well in the hands of a good shot as the top of the range shotgun,it is the person behind the trigger not the gun.You are without doubt a shotgun snob.

Nail on head :yes: Having the funds available to buy a top end gun doe's not make you a top shot :no: BB

Nail on head :yes: Having the funds available to buy a top end gun doe's not make you a top shot :no: BB

Not sure who said it did, or what that has to do with snobbery, just the same, the best shots in the world will use a rather special gun in order to give him that fraction of an edge! :yes::good:

Indeed it doesn't, but I would say that generally those that shoot the top end guns are more often than not at the top end of their game.

And generally those at the top end are sponsored to shoot those top end guns.

True, but if they were not excellent guns and the shooter didn't get the results they would not be sponsored because they would not be winning, and so it goes round in circles...but what has that got to do with snobbery?

I don't see Edgar Bros/Hatsan trying to persuade top shooters to use their product, they know the answer before they ask! :lol::lol::good:

True, but if they were not excellent guns and the shooter didn't get the results they would not be sponsored because they would not be winning, and so it goes round in circles...but what has that got to do with snobbery?

I don't see Edgar Bros/Hatsan trying to persuade top shooters to use their product, they know the answer before they ask! :lol::lol::good:

But edgar bros /hatsan do not need to convince someone to part with £2000+ they sell a product at virtually a throw away price,and as such sell high volume,the higher end sell less but at a higher price, they are willing to pay large sponsorship money to get their product seen in the right hands.

As for what it has to do with snobbery,if you perpetuate the myth that to be a good shot you need an expensive gun or to go on a drive you should been seen with the right top end gun then that is snobbery.

Expensive in all walks of life is not always the best,i drive a mondeo,it puts most cars that cost 4 even 5 times it's value to shame in turns of performance,before that i had a skoda again it embarrassed many an expensive car owner, but most cannot see past the badges,and that goes for makes of shotgun as well.

And generally those at the top end are sponsored to shoot those top end guns.

Of course a few are sponsored, but it is only a handful.

Personally I see it as an aspiration thing. People buy what they want to buy, but if they're serious about any sport/hobby they'll obviously aspire to buy what they perceive to be the best.

Of course a few are sponsored, but it is only a handful.

Personally I see it as an aspiration thing. People buy what they want to buy, but if they're serious about any sport/hobby they'll obviously aspire to buy what they perceive to be the best.

I know what you mean, it is like a young boy aspiring to own a Ferrari,i personally believe that people who are serious about their sport /hobby will buy what they see works the best, and this is not always the most expensive,other wise everyone would be buying purdey.

Funnily plenty of people "I shot best with an old miroku, never should have sold it" while holding a P/K/B gun........I have also seen plenty of of people pull out guns worth more than their cars.

Having a top name gun doesn't make you shoot better, not does it mean you look down on others. The "budget brigade" have their followers, if we all bought the same gun/car/phone/watch life would be boring.

But edgar bros /hatsan do not need to convince someone to part with £2000+ they sell a product at virtually a throw away price,and as such sell high volume,the higher end sell less but at a higher price, they are willing to pay large sponsorship money to get their product seen in the right hands.

As for what it has to do with snobbery,if you perpetuate the myth that to be a good shot you need an expensive gun or to go on a drive you should been seen with the right top end gun then that is snobbery.

Expensive in all walks of life is not always the best,i drive a mondeo,it puts most cars that cost 4 even 5 times it's value to shame in turns of performance,before that i had a skoda again it embarrassed many an expensive car owner, but most cannot see past the badges,and that goes for makes of shotgun as well.

I have enjoyed the fun of this thread it has been a good laugh reading all the comments and people getting hot under the collar.but I really must take issue with your claim that higher priced guns sell less than the cheap hatsan and others like it.if you look into market share you will find beretta are the most successful company of all the gun makers they have over 40% of sales worldwide.you will find browning and miroku not to far behind them.and neither of these company's sell a new gun at £400.c&g bettinsoli etc all sell more than the hatsan.even though they are all more expensive.wonder why if hatsan are so highly regarded.the top shots of this and every other country shoot the top end brands because they need 100% from the gun to stay at the top.they would not get this from the cheap stuff I doubt a cheap Turkish gun would last a month on the world circuit if indeed it lasted that long.i have among my guns a thirty year old beretta and it is still as good as the day it was made.still tight all as it should be how many hatsan will see that kind of service.old sxs cheap English guns still in use over a hundred years after they were made how many of your modern cheapies will see that.well let me tell you a big fat none.quality comes at a price.you can buy a porche for four times the money your ford costs new I would like to see the mondeo that could match a porche.it really is not snobbish to buy a high end gun the same as it is no lesser thing to buy your cheap end gun.a matter of choice.get over it boys and just enjoy your shooting.atb

I have enjoyed the fun of this thread it has been a good laugh reading all the comments and people getting hot under the collar.but I really must take issue with your claim that higher priced guns sell less than the cheap hatsan and others like it.if you look into market share you will find beretta are the most successful company of all the gun makers they have over 40% of sales worldwide.you will find browning and miroku not to far behind them.and neither of these company's sell a new gun at £400.c&g bettinsoli etc all sell more than the hatsan.even though they are all more expensive.wonder why if hatsan are so highly regarded.the top shots of this and every other country shoot the top end brands because they need 100% from the gun to stay at the top.they would not get this from the cheap stuff I doubt a cheap Turkish gun would last a month on the world circuit if indeed it lasted that long.i have among my guns a thirty year old beretta and it is still as good as the day it was made.still tight all as it should be how many hatsan will see that kind of service.old sxs cheap English guns still in use over a hundred years after they were made how many of your modern cheapies will see that.well let me tell you a big fat none.quality comes at a price.you can buy a porche for four times the money your ford costs new I would like to see the mondeo that could match a porche.it really is not snobbish to buy a high end gun the same as it is no lesser thing to buy your cheap end gun.a matter of choice.get over it boys and just enjoy your shooting.atb

Im with you on this one. Last year i bought a beretta thats worth quite a few ££ I could of bought cheaper but I wanted a nice quality gun.it has blooming nice wood and ingraving and it just feels very perfect in my hands. Im not being a snob buying it and I dont flash it about when shooting it but using the gun makes me smile and in my mine when used on clays a better shot lol.

At the same time I also bought my wife the grade 3 maxus and she is very proud of it. If you met us at a clay, driven or pigeon shoot you would never call us snobs far from it. Just we like to save up and buy nice things

So what do you think when I shoot the Pheasant or Partridge or duck or goose on the ground with a rifle in the name of pest control, is that ok with your wife?

I suppose if your not good enough shot to hit them flying then you have to wait for them yo land.lol.

only kidding.atb

You are a snob and you should admit it, everyone can see it in your posts, you portray yourself as elitist in everything you do.

My mondeo is normally limited to 156 mph

Porsche cayenne 150mph

Porsche caymen 158 mph

The above are two models that have top speeds similar to my Mondeo which were produced in the same year.

You really cannot bear it when things that you deem as cheap are as good as something more expensive,and by the way my mondeo was derestricted by the owner before me so in all probability will go a tad faster,personally i have only cruised at 145mph,not bad for a cheap mondeo estate :rolleyes:

Get over it,learn to enjoy things for what they are :)

You are a snob and you should admit it, everyone can see it in your posts, you portray yourself as elitist in everything you do.

My mondeo is normally limited to 156 mph

Porsche cayenne 150mph

Porsche caymen 158 mph

The above are two models that have top speeds similar to my Mondeo which were produced in the same year.

You really cannot bear it when things that you deem as cheap are as good as something more expensive,and by the way my mondeo was derestricted by the owner before me so in all probability will go a tad faster,personally i have only cruised at 145mph,not bad for a cheap mondeo estate :rolleyes:

Get over it,learn to enjoy things for what they are :)

I enjoy everything I have for exactly what it is.i am in no way elitist as you put it.cant be when standing ankle deep in cow slurry.and all the other joys of keeping beasts.it would seem your principles are a little mixed as the gun you rave over is a cheap model yet the car you drive you talk as if its a supercar.so your a car snob not a gun snob.i am in no fear of anything cheap being anywhere nearas good as a quality higher end one.the greatest test is time.a hatsan will last thirty years.as long as you leave it in the cabinet.my cars go fast enough for me never really been a detail geek for cars.a pick up does me these days I used to run an xjr but never really used it so got rid.now there is a car that would only ever show a mondeo its tail pipes.everything I do today is to enjoy myself.i worry not about what others have and I worry not what anyone thinks about what I have.i notice you neglected to comment on the gun sales part of my last post.cant argue with facts.atb

edited as a little bit of info.i am looking to buy a single trigger sxs I will not be buying a Baikal or a jenson.skb.w&s.but will get a beretta because I can and I have choice.does that make me elite or a snob.

Edited by bostonmick

And in this statement you show all that is conceited and wrong with certain members of shooting, just because some thing is more expensive does not always make it better,and if you believe that then it is you who has a complex,you are condescending in your attitude of people who you believe should aspire to better things,and childish to suggest people will grow out of the auto/pump phase.

Second that...

Oh mick you are so deluded,you call me a snob because i drive a mondeo and don't like it when it is as fast as a porsche, then in the same breath you boast about your xjr and how it is better than a mondeo,well mick i will let you into a little secret your xjr is actually slower than my mondeo,the official top speed of one the same age is 155mph,so my mondeo would be showing you these, :yes:

mondeo-L.jpg

you miss the point about the car analogy,it is that the most expensive or designer is not always the best

Your surname isn't bucket by any chance :whistling:

Only kidding atb

Second that...

:lol::lol: :lol:

"I have a £50 belgian sxs that will shoot as well in the hands of a good shot as the top of the range shotgun,it is the person behind the trigger not the gun.You are without doubt a shotgun snob"

You are kidding right!

Come on welsh1, even you cannot be serious with that comment!

:lol::lol: :lol:

"I have a £50 belgian sxs that will shoot as well in the hands of a good shot as the top of the range shotgun,it is the person behind the trigger not the gun.You are without doubt a shotgun snob"

You are kidding right!

Come on welsh1, even you cannot be serious with that comment!

no its true I was out with George digweed and Richard faulds and they straighted every stand with hatsan and Baikal.

oh sorry no that was a dream I had. :lol::lol::lol: :lol: :lol: