Should the English have a say on Scottish independence?

Blunderbuss

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scotland, own "parliament" plus MPs at Westminster who can vote on matters that only affect England.

Wales, own "parliament" plus MPs at Westminster who can vote on matters that only affect England.

Northern Ireland, own "parliament" plus MPs at Westminster who can vote on matters that only affect England.

England, MPs at Westminster.

A little equality in the status quo would be appreciated.

... I'd prefer to stay where we are but voting ? we all should have that Scots,Welsh, Northern Irish and England, the break up should be by all of us choosing - we are / were all in this together.

Except that the issue being voted on is not the break up of the union but one nation's choice whether or not to remain part of it. If the question in the referendum was: "Should the UK be broken up?", that would certainly be a matter for all UK citizens. But it isn't. The question is one club member asking itself whether it wishes to remain a member. If you are considering resigning your membership of a club, other members may express an opinion on your decision but it is not their place to dictate whether or not to let you go.

They won't be British, they'll be Scottish.

Only if they renounce their British Citizenship. As an example, the UK has one of the largest network of Diplomatic Missions in the world (Embassies and Consulates to you and me). Scotland would find it quite difficult to replicate this (at least any time quickly). If you were in a spot of bother while in some foreign land, and no 'Scottish' embassy was around, what would you do? Ah - bring out the British passport. It's like having your cake and eating it, and you didn't even have to pay.

Except that the issue being voted on is not the break up of the union but one nation's choice whether or not to remain part of it. If the question in the referendum was: "Should the UK be broken up?", that would certainly be a matter for all UK citizens. But it isn't. The question is one club member asking itself whether it wishes to remain a member. If you are considering resigning your membership of a club, other members may express an opinion on your decision but it is not their place to dictate whether or not to let you go.

Gimlet - I take your point but even one leaving breaks up the Union, does it not ? So give everyone a chance to drop out or everyone a chance to vote on everyone elses proposal (individually ) to leave. We all 'own' it (GB Inc), we should all decide on its break up. Just MHO.

Can you see the shareholders of a conglomerate allowing the shareholders of one company to be the only ones who voted to become an independent company?

I feel you have it wrong in your approach - theres a first time for everything.

Cheers.

Only if they renounce their British Citizenship.

As an independent state it would be up to the UK government as to whether they would be allowed dual citizenship and retain a British passport.

As it stands at the moment that's nowhere near a done deal.

Edited by poontang

I live and was born in England. 3/4 grandparents come from Scotland, they moved down to work in the mines. My wife is Scottish, I spend quiet a bit of time in Scotland, with many friends. I believe in the union.

If Scotland choose to leave, it's been democratic, if scots ain't happy, get on with it or move to England.

However -

When it goes tits up, Scotland come back to the union on different terms, the remainder of the union vote on. The Scottish parliament dropped being essential.

As an independent state it would be up to the UK government as to whether they would be allowed dual citizenship and retain a British passport.

As it stands at the moment that's nowhere near a done deal.

Britain allows dual citizenship. I can't see how they could force Scottish citizenship, and renunciation of British citizenship on those who do not want it. Remember, if Scotland vote yes by 51%, there are 49% who voted no.

Equally, if you leave the club, don't expect to still have access to the facilities.

Absolutely.

Gimlet - I take your point but even one leaving breaks up the Union, does it not ? So give everyone a chance to drop out or everyone a chance to vote on everyone elses proposal (individually ) to leave. We all 'own' it (GB Inc), we should all decide on its break up. Just MHO.

Can you see the shareholders of a conglomerate allowing the shareholders of one company to be the only ones who voted to become an independent company?

I feel you have it wrong in your approach - theres a first time for everything.

Cheers.

Not really. One member cashing in their portfolio and walking away doesn't wind up the whole company. It might alter the value of the stock held by the remaining shareholders (it may well enhance it) and therefore they have a right to an audit and an EGM where they should be afforded the opportunity to approve the final balance sheet. But they can't veto the free will of a fellow shareholder. In any case, this is a union of four partners, not two.

why do people think GB had such a big influence on WW2, we did our "bit" but in all honesty speaking German or not is down to the Russia eastern front & American finance and troops

our only real contribution to the cold war was offing the US a strategic air base

think you really do need to study WW2 more as there are LOADS of factors in it....

Maybe it was down to our better military!!

:lol: :lol:

Only if they renounce their British Citizenship. As an example, the UK has one of the largest network of Diplomatic Missions in the world (Embassies and Consulates to you and me). Scotland would find it quite difficult to replicate this (at least any time quickly). If you were in a spot of bother while in some foreign land, and no 'Scottish' embassy was around, what would you do? Ah - bring out the British passport. It's like having your cake and eating it, and you didn't even have to pay.

good point...i know of loads of people that have been helped while abroad...

The Scottish government intends to bring in a separate Scottish passport under independence, but says Scots would be free either to retain their British passport, or hold both.

That said, UK Home Secretary Theresa May says the Westminster government may not allow Scottish dual citizenship, adding that the issue will be considered along with SNP policy on citizenship, and membership of the EU.

The above is taken from a question and answer session conducted by BBC Scotland in November 2013. If anything the UK governments stance will have hardened since then.

Edited by poontang

Absolutely.

Not really. One member cashing in their portfolio and walking away doesn't wind up the whole company. It might alter the value of the stock held by the remaining shareholders (it may well enhance it) and therefore they have a right to an audit and an EGM where they should be afforded the opportunity to approve the final balance sheet. But they can't veto the free will of a fellow shareholder. In any case, this is a union of four partners, not two.

I was talking about a conglomerate and shareholders in individual companies - still think you have the wrong of it. Just MO.

think you really do need to study WW2 more as there are LOADS of factors in it....

i have and the facts are supported by academic evidence in the UK & America the vast majority of German causalities were on the eastern front Proportions, however, are crucial. Since 75%-80% of all German losses were inflicted on the eastern front it follows that the efforts of the western allies accounted for only 20%-25%. Furthermore, since the British Army deployed no more than 28 divisions as compared with the American army’s 99, the British contribution to victory must have been in the region of 5%-6%. Britons who imagine that “we won the war” need to think again.

simple facts we did our bit and we should be rightly proud

On that account should Scotland then not receive 1/4 embassy's? Or whatever proportion already paid for?