Better scores with semi auto

fruity

Hi all

I have a Beretta 692 for my dedicated clay gun and I love it , it fits nice , handles well and I have been happy with the scores I'm achieving at the moment

I also have a semi auto (my first ever semi) which I would never choose over my 692 for clays, so 99% of the time I use it for rough shooting only

For about the last 3/4 weeks I started using my semi for clays and my scores have shot up , more consistency, clearing stands etc

WHY :( I don't particularly like it and would love to shoot my o/u the same

Any advice would be appriciated :)

I am the exact same, took my franchi semi auto to a shoot to put diferent cartridges through it, mixed a bag of all different cartridges and absolutly smashed it! possibly my best score ever lol wich makes me think maybe il not that comfortable with my over and under as first thought.

Semis have less recoil leaving your brain to concentrate on shooting. The way there designed also sometimes makes them more pointable being a single barrel. It is a psychological thing. You may be holding a o/u at a angle causing vertical misalignment too. Too many variables to say for certain tho.

Simple as one fits you better ?

My 692 was low in the comb so I had an adjustable one fitted - loads better and scores have gone up !

yes couple of friends have said the same but I had my stock altered when I had it fitted on purchase , which I had checked also so I hopefully ruled that out :)

Have you blasted a pattern plate with both to see where they shoot ?

May be worth a go.

Patterned yes they shoot very similar, I did notice the Teague choke in the semi gave a slightly more consistant pattern but nothing major

Cheers.

Edited by fruity

I shot an auto for 20+ years ( clays only ) always wanted an OU but couldn't get on with them until I tried an MK38 . Finally I can shoot an OU but still like autos and have been shooting a friends Benelli with very good results. Does it matter what you shoot as long as you enjoy it and it works for you ? I think there's still a little snobbery about autos in some circles, next they won't want us updating our Facebook pages on stand 4.

It could well be the fact that they are less tiring to shoot, lighter to mount and carry and lighter on recoil. You might think that has no effect on you but I bet it has. If you misses come more frequent later in the round using the double gun I suggest there is your answer

I quite fancy one of these but for some reason they do not sell them over here much like the Browning BPS I do like the idea of bottom ejection no danger of the used cart going in someones eye.

http://www.ithacagun.com/featherlight.html

You can get them here, (although I don't think you can get new ones), there are at least two of us who have them on these boards. I love mine and I shoot it more now than my Maxus, which I also love to bits.

Does it matter what you shoot as long as you enjoy it and it works for you ? I think there's still a little snobbery about autos in some circles, next they won't want us updating our Facebook pages on stand 4.

I does for me I really don't like/enjoy using a semi auto, the only reason I purchased it was for field use/wet and mud , I shoot around 3 times a week and wouldn't want to use a semi regularly, 2 places I shoot won't allow a semi either, not that would be a huge issue as If needs be I wouldn't shoot there :)

It could well be the fact that they are less tiring to shoot, lighter to mount and carry and lighter on recoil. You might think that has no effect on you but I bet it has. If you misses come more frequent later in the round using the double gun I suggest there is your answer

I have monitored my shooting with both thinking it was fatigue, I just seam to shoot the semi better :(

Does it matter what you shoot as long as you enjoy it and it works for you ? I think there's still a little snobbery about autos in some circles, next they won't want us updating our Facebook pages on stand 4.

I does for me I really don't like/enjoy using a semi auto, the only reason I purchased it was for field use/wet and mud , I shoot around 3 times a week and wouldn't want to use a semi regularly, 2 places I shoot won't allow a semi either, not that would be a huge issue as If needs be I wouldn't shoot there :)

Far better to ban the shooter who wont comply with good safe practice rather than those with an Auto