Leather cartridge belt - loose loops

Bobba

The cartridge loops on my leather cartridge belt have become loose through wear. Does anyone have any idea how to rectify the situation please?

I recall from the dim and distant past that leather will shrink if soaked in water and allowed to dry. Should I give it a try? What do fellow shooters think?

Thanks.

Have the loops stretched, or it a stitching problem?

What make is the belt?

Steam may possibly help, but in my experience it may also cook the leather.

Thread/rivets can be replaced.

Stretched loops is possibly a sign of lower grade hide...or too much incorrect leather oil...but a quick fix may be to glue thin strips of leather or felt or whatever you have to hand inside the offending loops.

Have the loops stretched, or it a stitching problem?

What make is the belt?

Steam may possibly help, but in my experience it may also cook the leather.

Thread/rivets can be replaced.

Stretched loops is possibly a sign of lower grade hide...or too much incorrect leather oil...but a quick fix may be to glue thin strips of leather or felt or whatever you have to hand inside the offending loops.

Thank you for this. It is a stretching problem. The belt wasn't cheap but that doesn't mean quality!!

Thread replacement may be an expensive route as the problem is mainly with the loops at either end of the belt. So I guess I will try the thin thin leather strip solution to the offending loops.

Thank you one and all for your contributions.

• 7 years later...

what I did was to buy Aleenes leather and Suede Glue, At Micheals Dept store for $3.99 for a 4oz bottle it goes on white dryers clear . I took a Qtip an swabbed the inside the cartridge loop . I did two coats but you may need a third coat to fix the problem. It worked great for me ,now I can turn the belt upside down and shake it an no bullets fall out.