rifleing twist

rubyred

Have a 1/9 it shoots 40g-68g. Most people go for 1/12 and use 55g factory bullets ie ppu vmax. If I was to get another it would be a 1/8 or less as I want to use the 75g amax for target as less affected buy the wind. What make rifle do yo want as that will be the main factor with twist rates.

Edited by Albert 888

If you just want to shoot vermin/fox out to 300 yards light bullets and a 1 in 12" will do all you want.

That said if you can get the faster twist easily it will give you more options.

I use the 52gr A-Max at about 3500fps out of a 7" twist and it shoots about 1/4MOA.

I think the fast twist = poor accuracy notion was mainly down to poorer bullet jacket concentricity a long time a go. The faster twists amplified the effect.

If you just want to shoot vermin/fox out to 300 yards light bullets and a 1 in 12" will do all you want.

That said if you can get the faster twist easily it will give you more options.

I use the 52gr A-Max at about 3500fps out of a 7" twist and it shoots about 1/4MOA.

I think the fast twist = poor accuracy notion was mainly down to poorer bullet jacket concentricity a long time a go. The faster twists amplified the effect.

Fact remains that when you leave the recommended twist rate stabilisation becomes unpredictable, your 1-7 might but the next guys might not. However 1-12 most likely will and all other bullets in that smaller weight / length range

My .223 is 1 in 12 with 55grn FMJ and JHP. Very nice accuracy.

As far as I can remember tikka generally offer a 1 in 9 for a heavier grain bullet to be as stable.

I use the 5.56 NATO with a 1 in 7.2 twist barrel on the range. Standard 55Grn ball ammo. Mist military 5.56 NATOrifles are all generally 1 in 7.2 (1 in 150mm).

As a number of the guys have said, twist trate varies but 1 in 9 and 1 in 12 are generally the most common and work!

My .223 is 1 in 12 with 55grn FMJ and JHP. Very nice accuracy.

As far as I can remember tikka generally offer a 1 in 9 for a heavier grain bullet to be as stable.

I use the 5.56 NATO with a 1 in 7.2 twist barrel on the range. Standard 55Grn ball ammo. Mist military 5.56 NATOrifles are all generally 1 in 7.2 (1 in 150mm).

As a number of the guys have said, twist trate varies but 1 in 9 and 1 in 12 are generally the most common and work!

7.2"=182.88mm :good: