Ex Military types using their rank when retired

keg

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wind your neck in: I don't spend all day on the internet posting on Pigeonwatch

You posted a story about barring a young wife from the camp late at night and in the middle of winter. Why? Because she wasn't polite enough to your lofty standards and nothing whatsoever to do with security, the excuse you then trundled out, Redbeard Rhum-style. You even admit to being chastised for not using your initiative and letting her pass.

I am unclear what slur is of concern to you. I wrote that you did not act like a gentleman and furthermore, I would be embarrassed if I had acted in such a manner in the past.

Perhaps standards are somewhat lower in Wales..?

He did also state IIRC that he was ordered to do it by his Sergeant. Others may choose which orders to obey and which not but I dont think his frank account merits the comments you have posted. I would also expect a recognition that you had inadvertently gone too far.

KW's support for you kind of confirms that too.

There is absolutely no need for us to criticise each other - are we not here for a common purpose and a helpful exchange of information?

I think it depends on circumstances. I did Sandhurst and a three year short service commisson, left age 26 having made Captain (automaticly like most graduate entrants) about 5 mins before I left. For me to use 'Captain' some 8 years later would just make me look like a walt/fool. If one of the jocks in my platoon stays in, does umpteen tours, makes RSM, and then is commissioned and retires age 55 and wants call himself 'Captain' then i find it hard to see why he shouldn't.

I think it depends on circumstances. I did Sandhurst and a three year short service commisson, left age 26 having made Captain (automaticly like most graduate entrants) about 5 mins before I left. For me to use 'Captain' some 8 years later would just make me look like a walt/fool. If one of the jocks in my platoon stays in, does umpteen tours, makes RSM, and then is commissioned and retires age 55 and wants call himself 'Captain' then i find it hard to see why he shouldn't.

This is about the most sensible post I have seen on this topic.

My late father was a regular, was commissioned in 1937, served throughout the Second World War in India and primarily Burma - not nice - and retired from the army in 1950. Thereafter and in Ireland, he was always known as "The Major" or "Major Michael" - that being his first name. For some reason and until only quite recently, retired officers were called by their rank in Ireland, both north & south and it mattered not a jot that the rank had been attained in the British army.

Nowadays, it is very rare to hear a rank mentioned - I guess it is a peacetime thing but if those few, who fought in the 2nd World War and are still alive, wish to be called by their rank, then so be it and I believe it is disrespectful in the extreme to argue otherwise.

Edited by woodcock11

How sad that you took three days to try and come up with an angle that would make you look good.

Unfortunately you failed.

And you still owe me an apology.

Dry your eyes, Princess. You'd make a great traffic warden: "rules are rules, don't care if you've broken down, you still get a ticket."

Perhaps you have another story about a mate who didn't apologise and something terrible happened to him? Alien abduction? Struck by Skylab falling to Earth?

Dry your eyes, Princess. You'd make a great traffic warden: "rules are rules, don't care if you've broken down, you still get a ticket."

Perhaps you have another story about a mate who didn't apologise and something terrible happened to him? Alien abduction? Struck by Skylab falling to Earth?

Another couple of days to think of something witty, and again all you could manage was the puerile post above,you really should try harder.

Oh,and you still owe me an apology.

Another couple of days to think of something witty, and again all you could manage was the puerile post above,you really should try harder.

Oh,and you still owe me an apology.

Bless, you're not the sharpest tool in the shed and you mistake repetition for constructive response.

Stick to bullying women, Uncle Albert, there's a good chap.

Bless, you're not the sharpest tool in the shed and you mistake repetition for constructive response.

Another top notch witty response,did you do that all by yourself or did you get help.

Still waiting for an apology.

Another top notch witty response,did you do that all by yourself or did you get help.

Still waiting for an apology.

See previous post.

Baaa