How to kill tree stump and roots

blower86

Hi, does anyone have any I advice that works on how to kill tree stumps. I had a very big ash tree at the bottom of my garden and have had to take it down has it was dead, not sure what was wrong but when the trunk was cut all the centre of trunk was rotten and had gone 8 or more feet up the trunk. Now I'm left with very big roots and a 740mm wide base trunk so need some advice on how to total kill the stump off and it's roots and hopefully get it to rot so can break it down and totally remove so I can clear area to lay concrete base for workshop. Thank you for any help!!!! :D

Digging out by hand will be a long job, can you get a mini digger to it ??? apart from that not much else just hard graft, spade and crow bar axe and sweat.

Waiting for it to rot away is obviously dependant on you when want your concrete base down for the work shop

When we removed some trees along a hedge line a few years ago all my father did was drill some holes in the stump then fill the holes with salt peter, pour some water on it and after a few days went back and set fire to it.

Apparently the saltpeter had soaked down the stump into the roots and the whole stump and roots acted like a fuse and it just smouldered for a few days until it was below ground.

All he did then was smooth the area over with the tractor.

Not sure this would be acceptable these days or in a built up area either.

Might be a bit costly, well i mean unless you can get the stump over to them it may work out a bit cheaper but then it wouldnt be an issue. But what you mean is you can get stump grinders, HSS do them and possibly Travis Perkins for around £100 for weekend, but you will still need to get down a bit to lay a base so digging will still need to be done. Unless of course you raise the base.

When I had a tree cut down the trunk was about 12" dia I just went to the gareden centre and got some powder stuff you just cut some slots with a chaine saw or drill some holes in the trunk and fill them with the powder then cover it with black plastic held down with stones and just leave it for a few months when you take off the plastic it should all be dead then in time it will all rot away job done.

Nice one for reply's appreciated. Can't get digger down until ramps been built and can't do that until new fence up:( so going have ago at the methods as advised, be a great idea to blow it up it really would but don't think neighbour at bottom of garden would be happy even tho they moaning anyway as roots are in there garden grrrr. Going give ideas a try tho, thank you :D