Canada's and the GL

The Croc

birdsallpl, although what you say about canada geese moving to the uk from northern Europe may well be the case, I was primarily referring to birds coming here from Greenland/North America.

Often, when we look at an atlas using the Mercator projection, Arctic and sub arctic North America and Greenland, the main breeding areas for many species, looks a very long way away from us here in the U.K.

If you look at a spherical globe from above the north pole you`ll quickly see that, although the distances are still considerable, there is no earthly reason why canada geese cannot follow the migration routes of other goose species and end up here!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that mudpatten I see the logic in what you are saying. What got me exited though was the bit I found on line and posted earlier.

'but those in more northerly parts of Sweden and Finland migrate to the North Sea and Baltic coasts'

I' m thinking 'North Sea' could quite possibly end up in Scotland. If this is the case it changes our previous perception of Canada geese in the UK as being only a feral species.

Every year a hand full of canada geese from North America get mixed up with Greenland whitefronts and barnacles and turn up on the west Coast of Scotland. They are mainly of the small races such as lesser ( same size as a white front) or cackling(same size as Brent ) canadas . Norway and Sweden has a large and expanding population of introduced canadas which are the same race as ours ( Atlantic or Giant canadas ). Last time I was in Northern Sweden they were widespread on lakes above the Arctic Circle and in winter they migrate south to Poland, Germany and Denmark. Population are also increasing in Norway and it is some of these birds that have in recent years have been crossing the North Sea to Scotland and N England. As yet we think the numbers are small , but there have been a handful of ringing recoveries. Holland has a large population of canadas , but there is little evidence of them migrating here though it might be possible on cold winters.

We also have a moult migration of non breeding English canadas that fly to the East coast of Scotland to moult their flight feathers at places such as the Moray firth.They become flightless during the moult and most return to England in the early Autumn.

English canadas are resident within the UK most years but there can be a movement into France in cold winters.

Edited by anser2

we have several fisheries within ten miles of where i live and one in particular has a big problem with canadas, their nesting on the islands which isnt an issue but theres a great many more who dont nest and are eating the fishermans bait and have been known to be rather unfriendly towards some of the fishermen

ive been asked to help out and this morning a mate and i paid a visit... yes we had a few geese, in fact we had two each.. but we visited saturday to check where the nesting birds where and this morning avoided any nesting birds or those in pairs who may have been nesting and we couldnt see the nest. when we took those who we thought where the best we left, the farmer is happy as he has a few less and we left many more there nesting.. in fact we saw quite a few young uns, both geese and ducks. one duck had about ten babies folling her along... that was a real pleasure t osee

im no traditionalist when it comes to hunting and shooting... but i took no pleasure in this mornings kills, i should have, first outing with new gun and a first kill... but for me it was just pest control.. nothing more than a job.. roll on september 1st!

Anser2

Do you know if the Dutch government are still going to gas hundreds of thousands of geese

Donkey

Have not going to and this stems from restriction of shooting, you have to jump through hoops over there and its Greylags

Every year a hand full of canada geese from North America get mixed up with Greenland whitefronts and barnacles and turn up on the west Coast of Scotland. They are mainly of the small races such as lesser ( same size as a white front) or cackling(same size as Brent ) canadas . Norway and Sweden has a large and expanding population of introduced canadas which are the same race as ours ( Atlantic or Giant canadas ). Last time I was in Northern Sweden they were widespread on lakes above the Arctic Circle and in winter they migrate south to Poland, Germany and Denmark. Population are also increasing in Norway and it is some of these birds that have in recent years have been crossing the North Sea to Scotland and N England. As yet we think the numbers are small , but there have been a handful of ringing recoveries. Holland has a large population of canadas , but there is little evidence of them migrating here though it might be possible on cold winters.

We also have a moult migration of non breeding English canadas that fly to the East coast of Scotland to moult their flight feathers at places such as the Moray firth.They become flightless during the moult and most return to England in the early Autumn.

English canadas are resident within the UK most years but there can be a movement into France in cold winters.

I understand your difficulties as regards your employers etc. But your help and knowledge bank of the proper facts is most useful in supporting our case and appriciated