CZ452 17hmr barrel length

Ballie

I have just ordered myself a CZ452 American 17 hmr. Judging by the good reports I have read on PW I have bought the right gun

I have ordered it with a standard length barrel (22 inches I think, but its already threaded) I am also having a trigger job done.

Can some of you tell me what you think about barrel length? The reason's I have gone for a standard barrel is because as I under stand it the whole point of a 17 hmr is that it shoots a very high velocity round and buy shortening the barrel you do reduce the FPS, also I can always have it shortened but not lengthened.

Views from owns of these guns please

http://www.bullberry.com/HMRdata.html

not a lot in it from 22 to 14 inches.

Thanks Markbivvy, very interesting link, it would seem there is little point in having a 22" barrel and from the chart it looks like 15" is the best length and by the time you get a sak mod on, it will end up about 20" all in.

I will need to ring the shop Monday and have a word about a shorter barrel.

Iv just ordered an American in the 22" barrel length, will add a ASE Ultra to that

the bonus is if you run out of ammo you will have a good long spear. :stupid::stupid:

As I am going to p*** the shop off anyway by changing the barrel length, can you all give your views on which is better the heavy varmint barrel or the lighter American?

shot them both in 14 inches and own the varmint. the added weight of the varmint makes it a lot steadier when shooting of the shoulder.

but each to their own.

Iv just ordered an American in the 22" barrel length, will add a ASE Ultra to that, but most of my shooting will be done lying prone or walking so no need for the shorter barrel really..

I think that if you manage to try a 22" barrel and then a shorter one it will cause you to think.....

Nothing in it for accuracy, but when it come to handling the shorter barrel wins every time.

Try walking down a hedge, and the longer barrel becomes a chuffin nuisance when the gun is slung over your shoulder.

Every one to their own.....

Don

Theres no reason a longer barrel will be more accurate that a shorter one its down to rifling, uniform crown, chamber length/width and bullet combo's etc. what a longer barrel will do is given you a slightly longer range. There are alot of very accurate .22 pistols out there which should say something to you they just cant shoot at the same range as a rifle.

Guys its back to the drawing board, I have phoned the gun shop and cancelled my order who were fine as it was only a stock rifle any way.

The reason I have cancelled my CZ 452 American is that I have been offered a S/H Anschutz 1517 with a factory 14-inch barrel (screw cut), match trigger and 75 rounds of Hornady 17g v-max ammo all for £315 as this is almost the same price as a new CZ I presumed this was a better gun/deal?

Anyone on here got a Anschutz 1517? And if so what do you think of it? I won't be able to pick mine up untill my FAC gets back from my F/O.

Here is a photo of my soon to be new toy!

I have the Anschutz 1517 with heavy duty barrel ASE utra mod and a Nikko Sterling PLATINUM 6X24X56 NIGHTEATER...

Couple of pics i have just changed the stock from my Anshutz .22 rimmy as i use the HMR more and i like the thumbhole stock. :yp: :lol:

hmr001.jpg

hmr003.jpg

hmr004.jpg

hmr005.jpg

You have made a good choice.. :good::/:good::yes:

If most of your shooting is from inside a vehicle cab then I can see the reason for such a short barrel lenght .....Other than that i suppose it's open to debate as to whether all the powder is actually burnt off with this calibre .

To echo previous comments about price similarity between this and a new Cz about making a wise choice :good:

Ive, I don't doubt that a longer barrel will create more fps, from the charts I have seen it would appear that the 14 inch barrelled .17hmr will produce about 150 fps less than an 22 inch barrel so yes the long range capability will be reduced but I am prepared to try the shorter barrelled gun and see how I get on with it, if I don’t like giving a bit of hold over at long range then watch out for a bargain in the for sale items!!!