Change of truck... Need some inspiration

WGD

My Navara is due a change at the start of next year, I can't decide what to go for.

I have run pickups for a good few years now and to be honest I am getting a bit fed up with them. I like my cars too. So the options are:

1) suck it up and buy another truck - pros: does everything I need, no dog or dead animal smell in cab. Cons: fed up.

2) keep existing truck and buy something to enjoy driving, 10 year old RS4 or similar. Pros: best of both worlds. Cons: two sets of bills, potentially bigs ones.

3) Buy a "luxury" 4x4; second hand Range Rover Sport, Disco, Toureg etc. Pros: nice drive still doing what I need. Cons: out of warranty vehicles therefore potentially expensive bills. Dogs, kids and general **** will wreck it!

I'm considering a amarok myself, going from a 04 range rover. Not had a drive in one yet but sat in one and the cab is good. It's a good compromise between luxury 4x4 and a standard truck. Pretty good on diesel aswell.

My mrs mates other half works for vw and something to her about they will be releasing a new model with bigger engine in the next year?

Edited by SEshooter

My Isuzu D-Max drives really well and has enough bells and whistles. Does 36 to the gallon, as an auto. Manuals are said to be even better. PLUS I get a rebate of one sixth off all my fuel, from the revenue! Can't beat it.

Mate of mine works for vw commercial says the amorak is terrible few of the managers had them as company vehicles and gave them back after a few months

Interesting, but what do they normally drive? If they're used to the ride quality of a VW car I don't expect the Amarok can compete, or were there other issues?

You don't see a lot of them on the road, but they are at the expensive end of the pickup range and seem to me to be more a competitor for a luxury 4x4 than the workhorse pickups?

Interesting, but what do they normally drive? If they're used to the ride quality of a VW car I don't expect the Amarok can compete, or were there other issues?

You don't see a lot of them on the road, but they are at the expensive end of the pickup range and seem to me to be more a competitor for a luxury 4x4 than the workhorse pickups?

I'm not sure what they normally had I know a few took transporters instead, I personally liked the look of them which is what got me to ask my mate to sort a test drive for me, that's when he told me about them, if you like the look of them give it a test drive different people like different things I like the Chevrolet avalanche but people say i'm mad ha :lol:

A guy I know has one and has said it is the best truck he has had (inc Hilux) for comfort and fuel economy but he has had issues with it and is questioning the reliability. Apparently the first lot were made in Brazil and had a lot of problems, now European models are made in Hamburg, his was one of the first to be made there so maybe early production teething problems. VW aren't exactly renound for rubbish cars and poor reliability. Still don't know if I want another truck though Lol

Simply you need to look at what you want to spend, if you are looking at new then there is no substitute to going out and test driving. The warranties available on most commercials mean you can forget reliability and go on what you like driving most. I couldn't go back to a normal 4x4 as having dead deer and foxes in the cab isn't for me. If your existing pickup has been reliable and you can run it as a 2nd vehicle then you can get something fun but it's expensive once you look at 2 sets of running expenses.

What about the VAT, is it an issue to you? Got to say I still have my Scooby but for dogs, muddy gear and wet waders and such you just cant beat the pickup. Gotten into fishing with the stove and such out on the tailgate and shooting crows from deep inside the back out of the weather with a brew. A pickup just wont drive like a car though and its sure nice to get in the Scooby every now and then. Have a look at the Forester or outback perhaps if you go car when it comes to all but the high ground clearance stuff they will outdrive most things on and off road

A car for most everyday things and a cheap to run small van second hand for the dogs and shooting is another way to cut things

I've got the amarok and do long distances. I've done 16k in 6 month and no problems at all. It's good on fuel and is the best ride out of all the pickups. A lot of people slag them but don't actually own one, well I do and have owned a hilux and navara. The amarok in my opinion beats them all.