Tips for job interview

chady

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the interview, if they ask "Have you got any questions" a really killer response is to say something like... "Well, as this is my one chance to convince you I'm the person you're looking for, if you've got any concerns about my suitability now that you've met me, perhaps we could discuss them?" (Make it sound as natural as you can)

This knocks them flat... Firstly they will admire your balls & determination, and often if there IS a genuine concern, in surprise, and for want of a better reply they will often blurt it out. Then you get to tackle it.

All the best for the interview.

Edited by Longchalk

At the end of the interview, if they ask "Have you got any questions" a really killer response is to say something like... "Well, as this is my one chance to convince you I'm the person you're looking for, if you've got any concerns about my suitability now that you've met me, perhaps we could discuss them?" (Make it sound as natural as you can)

This knocks them flat... Firstly they will admire your balls & determination, and often if there IS a genuine concern, in surprise, and for want of a better reply they will often blurt it out. Then you get to tackle it.

I'm entirely of you're way of thinking, colleague.

Very very good advice.

just be totally honest sell yourself you are an asset to the company you might not know everything about the job but you are willing to learn the parts you are not 100% companies like this they can show you their way of working then you can add improvements of your own when you have won the job.i have work at a tank driving experience company i have no experiance of tank repairs, but told them i had mechanical knowledge from the,60,s sand was willing to learn from them.i got the job. good luck at the interview

Cv is well and truly ok and they all ready have it so all good.

No tattoos and piercings, so all good there.

I'll make note about not crossing my arms.

And leaning forward as I tend to do when I'm nervous.

Thx

We had a lad in a while back who sat down and then crossed his arms and then when noticed quickly unfolded them and put them to his side (In an almost Mr Bean like fashion), he was sat so straight you could have used him as a ruler. My colleague ended up telling him to just relax, it's not an interrogation - merely a meeting where we get to know each other and see if you are what we are looking for and vice versa.

That's all an interview is - there is too many things about bad interviews and so much pent up worry that you end up talking 3 semi tones higher and sit like you forgot to take the hanger out of your coat.

Relax, answer questions and ask questions and if you suit them and vice versa, win win all round.

One note I don't remember seeing mentioned - the job brief. I always print and take with me incase I want to refer to it throughout the meeting. I'll usually ensure that I mention each point on it and match my experience or willingness to learn to it throughout the meeting, not blatantly though. That way subliminally by the end, the people in the meeting will think you have ticked off everything they want on the list during the meeting. I don't put it out in front of me, I'll usually carry one of those zip up folder things with a note pad in - on the left will be the job spec and on the right is my note pad and pen, just like a standard business meeting that i'd attend - makes me feel more comfortable.

Yes I'm going to do that and I have highlighted parts of it. And taking my cv and cover letter that I can refer to.

Plus some info I have printed of about the company.

My mrs boss wife is head of hr for morrisons so she going to sit down with me next week hopefully as well.

She has all ready mentioned some thing called w.a.i.t why am I talking, it's to teach you not to babble on and to think what to say before you say it. So I'm going to try and get in the hang of that.

Thanks. I see what your saying though about relaxing, it's a balance you have to get right.

Well, this thread has been very useful, I have an interview today at 1pm with the largest global property consultants for an Asst. Building Managers role after nearly 250 job applications since Dec. 2012.

Finger, toes, and everything else crossed (but not arms).

Edited by Penelope

Yes I'm going to do that and I have highlighted parts of it. And taking my cv and cover letter that I can refer to.

Plus some info I have printed of about the company.

My mrs boss wife is head of hr for morrisons so she going to sit down with me next week hopefully as well.

She has all ready mentioned some thing called w.a.i.t why am I talking, it's to teach you not to babble on and to think what to say before you say it. So I'm going to try and get in the hang of that.

Thanks. I see what your saying though about relaxing, it's a balance you have to get right.

the w.a.i.t thing sounds interesting. My first ever salesmanger was like the Sgt Major in the film FUll Metal Jacket during our training (I was just 18 then). One of the things he said "You were given 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason people, don't forget that" and I never did haha.

Definitely relax but don't look slouchy, just see it as a meeting - you are a valuable asset in your own right and you have the right to be there and to talk like adults about their opportunity and you as an asset to them. That's all it is - not a witch hunt.

Well, this thread has been very useful, I have an interview today at 1pm with the largest global property consultants for an Asst. Building Managers role after nearly 250 job applications since Dec. 2012.

Finger, toes, and everything else crossed (but not arms).

Good Luck! :good:

Thanks

It's for a construction company in the QS department.

I'll be on the booking in side as the company (like most) pays price work.

What sort of questions should I have think of to ask at the interview? As I've read a lot of people saying this?

And how do you sell your self? As herd this mentioned before?

Thanks for your help I really don't want to mess this up!

Jamie

No I won't lol

Ask them about their supply chain and supply chain partnering, buyers/QS's love all that especially if they've put all the work in upfront.....

Ask them about what forms of contract they use JCT/NEC etc etc......

Do you buy materials yorself or do you go all in labour plant materials

What's average size of packages let and average size of contracts undertaken

What is site structure, organagran

Thise are just a few...

I wouldn't even talk wages/money, let them bring this up, they will either discuss it and the end of the interview, or at a 2nd interview, but tlet them tell you the package. Take it home, let them make a formal written offer, then if you feel it's ok, sign and return, if you thhink your worth more, and I always go for a bit more, ring them up, say all conditions fine, however, is there any movement on salary.....

the w.a.i.t thing sounds interesting. My first ever salesmanger was like the Sgt Major in the film FUll Metal Jacket during our training (I was just 18 then). One of the things he said "You were given 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason people, don't forget that" and I never did haha.

Definitely relax but don't look slouchy, just see it as a meeting - you are a valuable asset in your own right and you have the right to be there and to talk like adults about their opportunity and you as an asset to them. That's all it is - not a witch hunt.

Good Luck! :good:

Sounds like Atkins and the like to me?!?

Edited by lloydi73

Thanks

I'm definitely going to leave the sallary out and see what they come up with.

All it says is competertive sallary and package!

What's inc in the package will be interesting.

Ask them about their supply chain and supply chain partnering, buyers/QS's love all that especially if they've put all the work in upfront.....

Ask them about what forms of contract they use JCT/NEC etc etc......

Do you buy materials yorself or do you go all in labour plant materials

What's average size of packages let and average size of contracts undertaken

What is site structure, organagran

Thise are just a few...

I wouldn't even talk wages/money, let them bring this up, they will either discuss it and the end of the interview, or at a 2nd interview, but tlet them tell you the package. Take it home, let them make a formal written offer, then if you feel it's ok, sign and return, if you thhink your worth more, and I always go for a bit more, ring them up, say all conditions fine, however, is there any movement on salary.....

Sounds like Atkins and the like to me?!?

If it says compettive, then they know the market, so yes, leave it alone until they bring it up, otherwise it just looks like your financially orientated!! Package wise, not knowing level or position, but I would expect 26 days hols, private medical for you, car or car allowance comenserate with grade, fuel card or mileage allowance, pension contribution, discretionary bonus and all train and expenses excpet subsistance paid......If you're working for a multinational like you say, thiis is a standard industry package.....

Edited by lloydi73

If it says compettive, then they know the market, so yes, leave it alone until they bring it up, otherwise it just looks like your financially orientated!! Package wise, not knowing level or position, but I would expect 26 days hols, private medical for you, car or car allowance comenserate with grade, fuel card or mileage allowance, pension contribution, discretionary bonus and all train and expenses excpet subsistance paid......If you're working for a multinational like you say, thiis is a standard industry package.....

Blimey! nice packages in that industry then!

I get good holiday and bonus's if I achieve targets but that's it working in exhibitions. Never had any luxury such as health care haha (I pay my insurance on that myself!)

Blimey! nice packages in that industry then!

I get good holiday and bonus's if I achieve targets but that's it working in exhibitions. Never had any luxury such as health care haha (I pay my insurance on that myself!)

Oh we earn it Mentalmac, we earn it...lol.....Up at 06:00 every morning, nit home til 19:00 at night, sit a sauna all summer, freezer all winter...lol....oh biy we earn it...lol.....