223 1:8 what are you running ?

Hi all' I am quite interested in this combination and woundered what loads and veriations on barrel lenght your running ?

I was thinking of a .223 wylde with a tikka heavy varmint on a 1:8 at 26inch. To go on my 595 when the time comes.

Many thanks

Karl.

That is not a hill!

True it's a gentle incline ;)

what the hell is a .223 wylde? id avoid a heavy barrel on your land mate, that hill will seem a lot bigger to walk up with a big cannon on your back!

It's one of many 223 chamberings ;)

There was a good series of articles over 3 separate issues of one of the Target rifle magazines by Laurie Holland (IIRC), purely about .223 reloading.

I KNOW I have all three issues SOMEWHERE: I keep losing them, so then put them in a safe place, only to lose them again. Next time I find them I'll put them on the bookshelf in the same place as the reloading manuals

I run a .223 Police which is 1:9 plus have a CAM which I have not yet checked, but was told it is 1:8

.223 is a lovely little round to reload for - and the bullet options now (when compared to when I first got into the calibre in 1984 with a brand new AR15A2) are astounding.

Back then it was 55gr, a few lighter, but not much heavier than 62gr IF you could find a supply.
Some of the lighter bullets & the powder choices now also mean that at the opposite end of the spectrum you can get velocities that are close to .17 Rem performance

Thanks everyone. The main ambition is to throw the 75 amax or and maybe the 80 vld 77 - 80 match kings. But if supply problems occur then run mid weight say 50-50 with no real issues.

I want a full length flagpole as it can be trimmed if needs be. Maybe 24 inch will be enough ?

Have considered AI but the is brass life and few fps I will get worth the faf ? I don't think so.

I would estimate there are 1 in 4 users of 8" twisters that wont stabilise the 75gr amax so if you want to guarantees it will stabilise, and especially of you think an 80gr vld is on your radar, you really need to go faster twist than an 8. Vlds are a sod to tune at the best of times hence the popularity of the berger 80 bt target with a forgiving ogive shape. You are not really talking a hunting gun any more, you are into the territory of AR shooters who's target disciplines cry out for bullets in this weight range with 7,7 1/2 twist barrels but even then, the 8" are popular as the 77gr SMK is a go-to bullet for accuracy, reliability and bulk reloading either with or without cannulure. Nobody really serious in FTR is using 223. Laurie proved it would work but accepted it is a task to get there and requires specific reamers and serious load dedication and development, hence why nearly all ftr boys stay 308. Im pretty happy with my decision, i aimed to shoot the amax, my barrel didnt like them (in 7 guns i have tried amax in various calibres, it seems a bit of a love-hate bullet) so walked away and accepted it wouldnt work. A similar result might seriously disapoint some owners! So go in with your eyes open.

Thanks mate I will be having a long think about it before any decision is made.

My .223 T3 Lite is 1-8, fired a few other twists .223 but never owned one.

Mine lives on 55g and puts them where I want, I have tried all sorts of loads between 40g, to about 80g (not sure, it was a long time ago) and it can deal with them all, but mine deals with 55g very well. :good:

Edit

Mine is about 19.5" barrel.

Edited by Dekers

I have a T3 varmint 1 in 8 with 24 inch barrel and 69gr SMK work very well. I have tried some 54gr hornady bt on paper but not yet on foxes.

I am yet to try anything heavier but do intend to, all points above borne in mind.