whippets

compo90

A more interesting video of a long dog would be re calling it and it coming straight back lol.

I love em, my sister has a cracker, a beautiful rescue dog, calm, loving but will kill anything smaller than her including squirrels, rabbits rats, she has caught a cat much to my sisters horror not a happy ending,good luck.

A more interesting video of a long dog would be re calling it and it coming straight back lol.

I love em, my sister has a cracker, a beautiful rescue dog, calm, loving but will kill anything smaller than her including squirrels, rabbits rats, she has caught a cat much to my sisters horror not a happy ending,good luck.

you try running that fast and then stopping dead in front of the boss ! The problem your sister has is nothing to do with having a bad dog, just one of management / training

you try running that fast and then stopping dead in front of the boss ! The problem your sister has is nothing to do with having a bad dog, just one of management / training

Well as I said she is a rescue dog,about six years old with scars all over her face and chest and has lost the sight in her one eye from a trauma,I'm guessing she was a working dog.

Perhaps a good trainer could sort her out but there's not much between her ears,she keeps her on an extendable lead now to keep her out of trouble

Well as I said she is a rescue dog,about six years old with scars all over her face and chest and has lost the sight in her one eye from a trauma,I'm guessing she was a working dog.

Perhaps a good trainer could sort her out but there's not much between her ears,she keeps her on an extendable lead now to keep her out of trouble

The thick ones are easy to train, just need some repetition and resolve- its the clever ones that test you :lol: No running dog should spend its life on the end of a bit of elastic etc.

To make recall easy just feed it lumps of cheese and say "here" every time you give it one, do this five or six times a day, don't try and get it to come in for one yet just have it already sat in front of you and say "here" and feed it one like a freeby as you say it. Do this for at least a week every day.

Now after that week wait till the dog is off leash in a garden or the like and looks at you from a small distance (it must not be involved in anything at this stage), say "here" with the same inflection and I bet you have a one eyed dog sitting in front of you. If not consider your dog deaf as well as half blind

You don't have to use food treats, though rewards should be used and rewards are all more effective given intermittently just don't do it too quick, the behaviour needs to be fairly ingrained before you start messing. Rewards are individual to the dog but I have yet to find a dog that didn't like cheese and as I hate the stuff I wont get tempted myself :lol:

The word "here" could be substituted for anything even "cheese" if it makes you feel better

Consider a rescue dog could have been "anti recalled" by associating coming back with a beating by some fool who probably said "he knows what he has done!"

I started off years ago ferreting with whippet x terriers, handy little dogs that would tackle anything. My "17 dog was a ****** for foxes & roe deer, he's been dead a few years & died at 17yrs so well preban. Never fancied pure whippets just due to lads I knew keeping them & getting numerous injuries due to the speed. Great fun though & not as dumb as people would have you believe

Proudly no she is good at working stuff out, she can open internal doors now....that's not something we taught her, she just let herself out of a room, I presume after watching us.

Her recall is very good..... We don't let her off the lead near other dogs, people or distractions, we will introduce them as she gets older and more focused, we re-inforce a whistle and her name with a meaty dog treat like kent suggests and she is a lot more obedient already than the spaniel gun dog we previously had. The video I posted was her recall training in the park, wife was a couple of hundred yards away calling the dog when I let her go and why she ran fast and in a straight line to the hand that feeds her.

We intend to race her as well as doing a bit of rabbiting.

Oh and she sits, lays on command, can jump over 3 foot and is starting to learn stay

We have a three year old whippet cross that will chase almost anything if we let him and when he turns it on there is not much that can stop him. But saying that he has a great temperament and enjoys nothing more than lying with the kids on the settee or in front of the log burner in winter. He's not the smartest dog we have ever had but as Kent mentions it does make them easier to train.

I use to race Greyhounds myself on local flapping tracks, great fun but always kept the dogs after they had retired they are great house dogs / pot fillers even though a but too slow for the track.

Hope you have many happy years she looks a cracker.

We have a three year old whippet cross that will chase almost anything if we let him and when he turns it on there is not much that can stop him. But saying that he has a great temperament and enjoys nothing more than lying with the kids on the settee or in front of the log burner in winter. He's not the smartest dog we have ever had but as Kent mentions it does make them easier to train.

I use to race Greyhounds myself on local flapping tracks, great fun but always kept the dogs after they had retired they are great house dogs / pot fillers even though a but too slow for the track.

Hope you have many happy years she looks a cracker.

Hi Eddie

I bet that was impressive to watch, did you ever beat one :lol::lol:

Geordie