New shop...

JustFieldsports

Hi Guys,

Just opened a new country clothing, shooting sports and accessories shop in Bedfordshire and want to pick your collective brain!

So, what are the 'must-stock' products?

I have been asking everyone one coming into the shop naturally to get a feel for what the local people want, but I think it would also be good to get some more input from you guys.

So… let's have it...

Many thanks

Graeme

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly - Good Luck with your venture! It is good to hear about shops opening rather than closing. Where abouts are you opening up?

Regards what you should stock...that depends on who you are hoping to attract. It would be very costly to cover all your potential customers needs in stock.

Do you plan to stock guns, which types (Airgun, Shotgun, Rifle, Game/Target)?

Check out the local competition and see what they offer.

The best thing you can offer - good service!

Rich

Firstly - Good Luck with your venture! It is good to hear about shops opening rather than closing. Where abouts are you opening up?

Many thanks. Opened two weeks ago tomorrow in Leighton Buzzard, Beds.

Regards what you should stock...that depends on who you are hoping to attract. It would be very costly to cover all your potential customers needs in stock.

Do you plan to stock guns, which types (Airgun, Shotgun, Rifle, Game/Target)?

Completely agree that I can't stock everything - the shop itself isn't huge.

Just want to get a feel for the sort of things people are likely to want to come in and buy (take away) as opposed to things that people wouldn't mind waiting a couple of days to come in. We have a good relationship with our supplies and they can delivery very quickly which helps enormously.

Initially we're doing some clothing and shooting accessories, bags, books and DVD's, pellets.

We will also be embarking on the RFD route in the near future and will gradually start adding airguns, SG's and Section 1 plus of course, ammo. I was trying to ease into a bit gently bit the demand is higher than I anticipated.

The best thing you can offer - good service!

Couldn't agree more; and this is basically my mantra!

Offer clothing in larger sizes as sum of us are still carrying our winter padding lol

Yep, we already have some larger sizes in stock and can get others on demand.

Thanks guys.

Don't want to upset anyone by posting name or web address, but it's on Hockliffe Road at the top of South Street.

Open Mon-Fri 11 - 7 (Late night every night ;-) )

Sat 9 -5

Understand. (PM me details if you do not mind...)

Will have a look when I can.

Regarding what to stock...

Must haves (in my opinion)...Cleaning kit, and sundries like patches, mops and brushes. Oils and greases etc. Gunslips. Ear defenders and shooting glasses. A range of scopes and mounts (although I think people would not mind waiting for more expensive ones), binoculars. Knives. I am sure more people have their own ideas too.

Rich

Hi Guys,

Just opened a new country clothing, shooting sports and accessories shop in Bedfordshire and want to pick your collective brain!

I have been asking everyone one coming into the shop naturally to get a feel for what the local people want, but I think it would also be good to get some more input from you guys.

So… let's have it...

Many thanks

Graeme

Hello,

If you wanted too you could take a look through our site and if there is anything that interests you i could send through a trade price list.

Thanks

Oscar

the knives would be especially good! you'll find if theyre priced well they will sell like hot cakes... as will books!

Already got a few knives, but good call.

We will be stocking Mora knives shortly.

Thanks

Graeme

Dog whistles and leads.

Basic spares

Whistles and leads - lots in stock already. We were originally a gundog training equipment supplier (and still are) so this was the easy bit.

What kind of spares did you have in mind?

Thanks

Graeme

Edited by JustGundogs

Left handed skeet vests! As a left handed shooter (not left handed day to day) it's a nightmare to find them! Also don't insult us by saying "oh you can shoot a right handed gun" if that was the case the guns wouldn't be handed and sticks would have no cast! Good luck competing with interfere sellers working from a lock up or bedroom. Reasonable RFD to RFD charges will encourage local people into the shop who will probably buy stuff to go with the gun they came to collect. Your opening hours make sense so many close at 5/5:30 for us who work till 5 we simply can't get to the shops to have a mooch and pick bits up so End up ordering online...

Edited by HDAV

Good luck with the new venture!

Many thanks

Dog training dummies

Already there… as above :-)

Lamps

I can't bear shops where the prices aren't shown, just sayin'

What are the preferred lamps? Already have suppliers for Nightforce and Clulite (although knowing specifically which models to stock would be a challenge)

Everything is priced = So much fun playing with a pricing gun! ;-)

Thanks

Graeme

Left handed skeet vests! As a left handed shooter (not left handed day to day) it's a nightmare to find them! Also don't insult us by saying "oh you can shoot a right handed gun" if that was the case the guns wouldn't be handed and sticks would have no cast! Good luck competing with interfere sellers working from a lock up or bedroom. Reasonable RFD to RFD charges will encourage local people into the shop who will probably buy stuff to go with the gun they came to collect. Your opening hours make sense so many close at 5/5:30 for us who work till 5 we simply can't get to the shops to have a mooch and pick bits up so End up ordering online...

All good points.

Will keep my eye open for left-handed shooting clothing - might be a niche market, that!

Re: The internet sellers; there will always be those who will buy from the cheapest place regardless. But what I have discovered in the last two weeks is that there are still plenty of local shooters who are keen to support a local shop, and are prepared to pay a few quid extra for it. They've stated reasons like convenience, speed (easy to pick up a tin of pellets on the way out), customer service (rather than a faceless Internet company), also there still seems to be resistance to parting with larger sums of money online.

Re: RFD to RFD - In my book, this should be at cost and not arbitrarily over inflated - there's no need for it.

Thanks for the input.

Graeme

When you start selling gun basic recoil pads, sight beads, strikers ideally have a local gunsmith who can turn thing round with out you having to do a monthly trip ideal 15-20 mins away or in the back if you have space.

Find a "tame" instructor to help you with gun fit thus avoiding the normal shop sales man (having read a 2 page article) expert advice.

I sell more second guns to novices as the salesman lied to than another group. I used to offer advice for a shop and get stuff at trade price for the service.

Find a "tame" instructor to help you with gun fit thus avoiding the normal shop sales man (having read a 2 page article) expert advice.

I sell more second guns to novices as the salesman lied to than another group. I used to offer advice for a shop and get stuff at trade price for the service.

Bakerboy?

Hi Guys,

So… let's have it...

Many thanks

Graeme

Good luck and the answers you will get will not necessarily sell well or make you any money. Largely such ventures need a suck it and see approach, the only thing I should say is differentiate yourself from the internet when looking for walk in customer sales

congratulations and good luck.

If and when you stock ammo, please pick one or two makes and stick to them. We get used to a particular type and will happily stick to it if the price remains realistic.

Thanks.

And without wanting to start a furore, any ammo recommendations?

Personally I use Hornady for 17, and either Federal or if I'm feeling a bit posh, Sako