THE AD

Apart from the release of the birds, it looked like just about every retriever field trial I have ever seen.

The "British Labrador Field Trials" , refers to the "breed".

In the US there is the "American Labrador" and the "British Labrador".

In discussions with my friends they explain that the "American labrador" has been bred for hunting, not showing.

Most I have seen are not as heavy as our Labradors and have a "snipey" look to their heads, but thats about the only difference I could see.

Apart from the release of the birds, it looked like just about every retriever field trial I have ever seen.

The "British Labrador Field Trials" , refers to the "breed".

In the US there is the "American Labrador" and the "British Labrador".

In discussions with my friends they explain that the "American labrador" has been bred for hunting, not showing.

Most I have seen are not as heavy as our Labradors and have a "snipey" look to their heads, but thats about the only difference I could see.

The shape and quality of the dog is not why this was posted....our colonial friends seem better served holding up queues in their airports, spending trillions of dollars swanning around the worlds oceans and consuming far to much food per person....

However the term "sporting" is far better used in their game of baseball....

TEH

I lasted about 1.50 before I would watch no more , I do not see where "British field trial" comes into it.

The shape and quality of the dog is not why this was posted....our colonial friends seem better served holding up queues in their airports, spending trillions of dollars swanning around the worlds oceans and consuming far to much food per person....

However the term "sporting" is far better used in their game of baseball....

TEH

My comments regarding the breeds was in answer to the post quoted above (insert the word "Labrador" between "British" and "field trial".

I know why the video (which has been around for a few years) was posted, it was posted to get at least one, "Only in America" response and then a few American bashing comments.

My comments regarding the breeds was in answer to the post quoted above (insert the word "Labrador" between "British" and "field trial".

I know why the video (which has been around for a few years) was posted, it was posted to get at least one, "Only in America" response and then a few American bashing comments.

A few inverted comers will not detract from the facts.....and they are, it is not sporting....I have shot on spaniel field trials and it was billed as a " Spaniel Field Trial " no mention of American or British.

TEH

A few inverted comers will not detract from the facts.....and they are, it is not sporting....I have shot on spaniel field trials and it was billed as a " Spaniel Field Trial " no mention of American or British.

TEH

The video is entitled "British Labrador Field Trials".

fenboy asked, "I do not see where "British field trial" comes into it."

I then explained that in the USA they differentiate between British labradors and American labradors .

To my knowledge in the USA they do not have an American spaniel which is different from an English spaniel.

I agree its not sporting, I wasn't defending the action in the video, but I have entered dogs in field trials (lab and springer) and been a spectator at many others and I don't consider the shooting at most UK walked up field trials to be sporting either.

Clearly not many of you have beeb to a trial in the UK then? As Cranfield rightly points out it is very similar and rarely do you see a sporting bird shot. They are usually nailed hard and close.

+1, most people shoot on trials because they like seeing dogs work rather than the sporting birds. May as we'll shoot DTL otherwise.

+1, most people shoot on trials because they like seeing dogs work rather than the sporting birds. May as we'll shoot DTL otherwise.

I've shot lots of retriever trials and shot the birds where I wanted to shoot them, admittedly the judges and trialers want them shot reasonably close to get the birds in the bag and ideally avoiding runners, but a few runners in a trial make for a better trial. Also if they want me to smash birds at 10-20 yds they can pay me to do it,not the other way around!

I've shot lots of retriever trials and shot the birds where I wanted to shoot them, admittedly the judges and trialers want them shot reasonably close to get the birds in the bag and ideally avoiding runners, but a few runners in a trial make for a better trial. Also if they want me to smash birds at 10-20 yds they can pay me to do it,not the other way around!

and your point is? . 90% of the shooting is birds up the behind no matter how far they are, i do enjoy shooting trials but as I said it's certainly not for the sport it's for the pleasure of watching dogs work.