How to store pump action shotgun????

Thatguy

I store mine with the breech forward,it should be SOP's to check it is clear every time you pick it up /take it out of the cabinet.You could use a breech plug that will hold your breech to the rear to show you it is clear, this is handy when you are shooting with others to show it is clear as you move around.I "pull the trigger" so the firing pin is released,i am sure some would say not to,but modern shotguns will have no problems doing this.

It's not something I've really given much though to, but now I have, it's with the slide back/breech open, but only because it is proved empty prior to sleeving, so it therefore is open when removed from the sleeve and then put in the cabinet. For the same reason my autos are stored similarly.

My o/u's are stored muzzle down, which means they can be broken before they're even removed from the cabinet and are broken before removing them from the slip when in the field. It isn't for any particular reason, just a habit I've got into.

I don't set much store in the relaxing of springs, sears etc, but for some reason do with my rifles, ensuring I depress the trigger as I close the bolt before sleeving prior to coming home.

Edited by Scully

I don't set much store in the relaxing of springs, sears etc, but for some reason do with my rifles, ensuring I depress the trigger as I close the bolt before sleeving prior to coming home.

In the army the order was ` ease springs` to relax the spring, any spring, makes sense to me.

I store a pump and semi with flags in the breech. They are stored muzzle up because they are synthetic stocks. If they were wood stocks I would put them muzzle down which is what I do with my O/Us. I do ease the mainsprings on the break action jobs but not on the others because the flags don't allow me to.

David.