Opting out of 'open' register

Scully

Anyone opting out of 'open' register? Have just had my letter regarding the changes to voting registration and wasn't aware there is now an 'open' register on which your name and address will be included unless you opt out. The 'open' register can be 'bought' by any person, company or organisation, and is often used by businesses and charities to confirm your name and address details.

I thought they have always been able to get hold of this info

You're probably right. I wasn't aware of this. I don't get any charity letters and would prefer not to. My Mother on the other hand used to get around 30 per week, but that was after collecting for one in her younger days.

Always opt out, it's a joke that they can flog our info, who are they to sell our private details? What really gets my goat is when I had to get planning for new garage we started getting bombarded by every builder, conservatory fitter and building insurance company for miles around - the data protection act is another wonderful waste of paper