boiler cover....

leeds chimp

Have a bit of a problem....

We live in a new build house and out of the 12 houses....7 of them have had problems with the boilers that were installed from leaks to full system blow out....with average cost of £2000-3000 to replace ...not including the damage its caused with the water leaks going into other rooms etc....

I am currently looking into extra insurance for this matter and wondered if anyone has any recommendations...would like a policy that covers any damage plus if possible to replace the boiler or at least a cash payment to help with getting a new one...

Make sure whatever policy you get also includes "track and trace" i.e. the costs involved in finding out where any leaks are happening as well as making good. That could be anything from easily lifting a hatch then wandering around underneath the house or, more likely, pulling up carpet, ceramic tiles, laminate/Amtico/other flooring, underlay, boards, etc. then making good thereafter. Cost depends if you have your own skills and tools to find the leak or would have to get someone in.

How old mate, the NHBC guarantee on a new , new build home is 10 years, might not cover the boiler if it's 6-7 Years old? ????

If it's a new home I'd be onto the builders to sort out,

Atb

Flynny

thats the problem as the builders went bust...shortly after the final house was sold so not sure how to carry on down that route

My home insurance covers Home emergency( including boiler and central heating ) for up to £1000. Which is a damn good help if needed, the insurance is with AXA and was not anymore expensive than most covers without it !

As my boiler is five years old now been thinking about getting it serviced and homeserve include a service in their boiler cover that starts from £2.00 per month. You would be mad not to have any cover at that price.

Another vote for BG Homeserve -

Had them out several times over the last 10 years and always fast, reliable service.

We have boiler, controls, pipes and rads covered for around £20 per month.

Last job done was new heat exchanger with power flush which would have been around £600 if we had paid !

Depends on the time scale and the exact problem? If it's fairly new then the boiler should have a decent warranty with it, so you should be covered by the boiler manufacturer.

As regards to pipe work and any other issue the installers should have taken out insurance to cover all pipework for a set period of time. So you may have to do sime leg work to find out who fitted what. As a plumber may have fitted all the pipework and another person could of commissioned the boiler and put his name to it.