Advice please

victorismyhero

By correct he means look for the young smaller ones in the skein.

Don't want the huge old tough ones if you can help it, nearly dislocated a finger trying to skin one last season, had a right sweat on, my wifes comment on hearing me struggle, is it worth it.

Figgy

I think Canadas eat better than grey's, and are easier to prep! I pluck any i get (1 or 2 a season) and can normally do a bird in about 40 mins from start to finish.

The cooking is the key with any wild goose as there is a lot less fat on them than a reared bird, long and slow over a good litre of stock (if roasting whole) works for me.

ok, got that...and now I'm hungry, :thanks:

Now here's a good one...

I assume i gotta use non toxic...

steel seems to be all plas wads...a no no on my perm (cattle)

tungsten is not even up for consideration (apparantly carcinogenic)

bismuth I would use

so...

what size shot, what weight of shot

can I get 3" 46g BB in bismuth? with fibre wad? :whistling:

or will something a bit more modest be ok :ninja:

Has anyone used the duck fat that can be bought in supermarkets, pushed under the breast skin?

I think Canadas eat better than grey's, and are easier to prep! I pluck any i get (1 or 2 a season) and can normally do a bird in about 40 mins from start to finish.

The cooking is the key with any wild goose as there is a lot less fat on them than a reared bird, long and slow over a good litre of stock (if roasting whole) works for me.

No on the BB's in bismuth fibre.

http://www.eleyhawkltd.com/cartridge/12-gauge/bismuth/vip

ok, got that...and now I'm hungry, :thanks:

Now here's a good one...

I assume i gotta use non toxic...

steel seems to be all plas wads...a no no on my perm (cattle)

tungsten is not even up for consideration (apparantly carcinogenic)

bismuth I would use

so...

what size shot, what weight of shot

can I get 3" 46g BB in bismuth? with fibre wad? :whistling:

or will something a bit more modest be ok :ninja:

Edited by Penelope

By correct he means look for the young smaller ones in the skein.

Don't want the huge old tough ones if you can help it, nearly dislocated a finger trying to skin one last season, had a right sweat on, my wifes comment on hearing me struggle, is it worth it.

Figgy

Thanks figgy that's very true and goes for all geese, I always take a trailing bird if I can. ( truth is I usually go for the lead bird and end up hitting a trailing one!!) LOL

What I really meant was when they are flighting in season, not leading goslings through the local golf course.

Yes and yes but to be fair if its not a want to thing, the economics might be in favour of another cheap gun and factory steel

the problem isnt so much the gun, sinsce that is rated "superior steel shot proofed" (but to be fair i probably WOULD use a cheap gun for steel I dont want to even risk damage my B724's barrels shooting carp at anything)

The REAL problem is that I cant use plas wads on my perm its all cattle land.....

the problem isnt so much the gun, sinsce that is rated "superior steel shot proofed" (but to be fair i probably WOULD use a cheap gun for steel I dont want to even risk damage my B724's barrels shooting carp at anything)

The REAL problem is that I cant use plas wads on my perm its all cattle land.....

Has the farmer stated you can't use plastic wads? I shoot over a lot of grazing land and have never been asked to use fibre wads. I would use plastic wads if the farmer doesn't mind. Also, if you're that bothered, you can usually find the big plastic wads when not fired over water.

My grandmothers recipe take the breast of a young goose dice into squares put in casserole dish with equal amount of diced stewing beef preferably with a bit of fat on then put a can of oxtale soup in then diced carrots swede onions leeks red peppers mushrooms top up with water and a spoon of gravy mix put in the bottom oven of the aga for 8 hours and serve with creamy mashed potato even my children will eat this but won't eat goose normally. My late fathers recipe for big old Canada goose get your goose the older the better dig a hole 2 foot square in the garden place the goose in the hole place a large flat stone on top of it fill the hole in and leave for a week then open hole remove flat stone and put it in oven for 4 hours leave the goose where it was.