Curing (or discouraging?) a broody hen ?

TaxiDriver

One of my older hens has taken to the nest box and steadfastly refuses to budge,

Im don't think she's even laying now as she's 4 or 5 yr old, The other 3 hens seem to have gone off laying, (Possibly as they cant get in the nest box ?)

Twice a day, I've been making sure she hasn't any eggs left in the nest box and have moved her outside the coop but so far to no avail.

Any tried n tested (humane) ideas ?

I've used a couple of methods, firstly a small cage , with a cage floor off the ground, pop the broody hen in for 24 hours (food and water available in the cage too) , realease her after 24 hrs and see if she still heads to the nest box . If she does, repeat for 48 hrs.

Or -try a cool water bath , hold the chicken in for 10-15 mins.

Both work on the idea that it cools them down, which apparently is the physiological change that makes them broody.

Good luck!

I'd need to source some fertile eggs, i don't really want more chickens.

Someone at work suggested the dunking method but seemed a bit cruel hence my mention of a 'humane' solution

The hen in question does seem very warm to the touch when picked up, more so than the other 3 hens, So, this might fit in with whats going on :unsure:

I could try a dog type cage inside the run if i can beg/borrow one locally

Thanks Guys

The dunking method isnt cruel.

What i do is fill a bucket up with cold water and dunk the hen upto the wings then lift her out above your head getting air to her wet skin/feathers. Repeat this a dozen more times. When skin is wet and exposed to wind it rapidly cools the surface and this is what you're trying to do with her body temperature.

Other way is to get a cheap dog crate from Ebay.Stick it on bricks so theres plenty of airflow underneath and leave her in there for 5 days or so.You MUST however put the crate in the run or atleast where she can still see the other hens as they're social creatures and get depressed on their own.Make sure she still has plenty of food and water.