Pigeon decoys

njc110381

I'm thinking I should invest in some deeks for the huge flocks of pigeons in my area. Which ones are good? I don't want to spend a fortune but obviously if the cheap ones are no good it's better to spend a bit more. I'm not into these rotary thingies, just a basic spec pattern to bung out. Any good ones about that stand out from the crowd? The huge flocks bit was a joke by the way, just thought I'd grab your attention :good:

You're making a big mistake by not investing in a rotary, a lot of the "Pro's" don't bother with static decoys, they just bung out a couple of rotary's and pretty soon they've got plenty of the best type of static decoy you can get, i.e. dead birds.

I suppose it depends on your outlook, if you just want a day out in the countryside, watching the world go by, and having a snooze in the hide, leave the rotary at home, but if you're keen to do what the farmer is expecting of you, that is to shoot plenty of pigeons, bung the rotary out ASAP and keep plenty of cartridges nearby.

Cat.

I sat in a hide with a guy when I was a kid and watched him shoot 100+ birds in a few hours with just a dozen shells. I'm not in it to wipe them out, just to put something down to bring a few birds my way to load up the freezer. If I can get 25 birds, I'll be more than happy. The trouble with me is I'm not a kit mad kind of person. If I have to drag a huge sack of junk (useful or otherwise) to my chosen spot, I'll lose interest very quickly. I'm the same with fishing. I used to match fish with chaps that needed help to get their kit to the peg, and I had a small rucksack with mainly food (for me!) in, a net, and a rod. I won as many 1st prizes as the top guys, and eventually got bored with all the moaning they aimed at me saying I was lucky. I still fish the same now, just not with the pro crew that can't take being beaten by an amateur that understands his fish and venue better. I'm too lazy for all that kit stuff :good:

I sat in a hide with a guy when I was a kid and watched him shoot 100+ birds in a few hours with just a dozen shells.

Whilst accepting that you don't necessarily want to shoot big bags of pigeons, I think your opinion of rotaries etc., may be coloured by your comment quoted above.

I could have been the man you sat next to in a hide when you were a kid , who shot 100+ birds over a few shell decoys (or even painted glass milk bottles), but those days are few and far between now.

Whether pigeons have got more educated, or not, things have certainly changed.

If you want to travel light, then shell decoys (get the dull ones, not the shiny ones) and a couple of floaters.

Put out some dead birds as soon as you shoot them.

I have John Batleys book on the subject, and have been watching the birds on my patch to see where they fly. Up until now they've been going over very fast and quite high, so I figured that some deeks may just bring them a little closer. I'm not a great shot yet, so I don't go for high, fast birds. I've got a good flight line, with a pair every couple of minutes coming past. I just need to get them lower :P

I'm thinking I should invest in some deeks for the huge flocks of pigeons in my area. Which ones are good? I don't want to spend a fortune but obviously if the cheap ones are no good it's better to spend a bit more. I'm not into these rotary thingies, just a basic spec pattern to bung out. Any good ones about that stand out from the crowd? The huge flocks bit was a joke by the way, just thought I'd grab your attention :D

I started out years ago with 12 full body decoys , then decided to glue real wings on them which works well, but you have to renew the wings every so often. Then i bought some HH inflatables , expensive but work well enough , but you need a supply of balloons and you need to inflate them the night before.

Shells are ok and work best on spring sticks . I have just today ordered more sillosocks , they are quick to set up light to carry , and work. So why not give them try.

Hope this helps

good luck The Hitman.

Catamong,

So why would I be 'making a big mistake in not in vesting in a rotary' when I rarely use it? Rotaries are not all things to all people, (or pigeons) and, personally, I can take 'em or leave 'em. I often use a flapper though........

Invector,

I've always found that rotary's are essential over Winter rape, driving through your neck of the woods (M1 J14 - 16) last weekend, loads of Pigeons about, but 1000's of acres of rape, you've got no chance of making a DECENT bag without one.

Ok, you may not need one on a smallish field of drilled Peas or Beans, when the birds are hellbent on feeding on it for 2 or 3 days, but how much Spring drilling is going on in your area, not a lot I'll bet, it's all Winter sown..??

As I've said before, I'm not a pro, just an experienced shot, but I know Jim Albone and the tactics he uses to get decent bags for his clients, and he wouldn't be without them.

Cat.

:no: I have found just lately nothing will bring the little **** in but i also found that my roter was puting them off so i put out 2xfloters 12x shell deeks on spring sticks 6x peckers they semed to comit more redaly

just an observation :yp: :angry:

i agree with winchester :D

but at the end of the day if they aint about u cant shoot em! decoys, rotary, peckers etc etc. it wont make any difference :angry:

u need birds before u can shoot em and where have they gone?? :angry:

Catamong,

I wouldn't be without one either, even though I hardly ever use it. As far as spring drilling goes I have several fields of lupins that are a very good draw for pigeons. One field of beans that failed will be sown to spring rape soon so I might get some action on that. If I think my rotary should come out of the vehicle I'll use it, but until then I reserve judgement on their usefulness, in my situation. Leave me alone. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've just had a pack of six bought for me by the chap who I got a gun for :lol:

They're made of rubber, and are supposed to move around in the wind slightly more than the plastic ones. I've also been out and cut a couple of arches out of the bramble patches so I can hide away from view. A small net from somewhere, and I'll be sorted for when the barley goes in. The farmer was telling me the other day that there are loads of pigeons when he sows his barley, and he has to buy bangers to scare them away! With some luck, I may be able to talk him into extending his permission to a couple of my shooting buddies to save himself some money :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

If you can afford it, buy a lightweight rotary and 12 plastic shells. If you are willing to go one better buy yourself flock coated ones.

Even on poorer days when there is not many birds about I know the results are better I proved it over the years from experiment. When I started pigeon shooting 20 years ago we used do to make decoys out of a grey pesticide drum- and shoot more than I ever shoot now, with all the technology behind me.

starlight32