Making fun of Americans

Oxfordshooter

Anyone put on the spot with a camera pointed at them, can have a senior moment. Recording fifty and showing five or six that struggle can give a very lopsided picture.

Also, The United States of America begins with a T, makes the presenter look a bit stupid and undermines the video.

Sorry to be pedantic but the the country USA doesn't begin with a T. The sentence may have but not the country.

This is a real conversation my wife had with a sales assistant in the Florida Mall last year after buying some perfume stuff .

Sales girl " What part of England do you guys come from ?"

Mrs Jega " Lincolnshire on the east side of the country "

Sales girl " We get loads of you guys from that town "

:lol: :lol:

USA is the number one country to take the **** out of because of their insular, know it all, we are the best country in the world attitude. I have some great friends out there that I love visiting. But don't worry America from Thursday you may become number two in the list as Scotland may take over as the number one country to take the **** out of,with their insular, know it all, best poor country in the world attitude.In the USA they fight for freedom in Scotland they Cry Freeeeedom.Get the crying practise in lads if you vote YES you will be doing a lot of it over the next few years.

Every nation has its fair share of idiots. If the yanks could be bothered to watch half the pap on uk tv they would probably think we were a bunch of spanners i'll wager.

I've yet to meet a rude yank and have always found them agreeable.

I've seen Snatch, so I know what England's like.

Do you know the queen? :lol:

Americans on whole have alot more freedom than we do, apart from drinking in public places which I don't believe does as that many places.

At least they don't roll over to every new law that is passed, you have to respect them for that.

That freedom is an illusion. They have alot of regulation - and alot of people in uniform to regulate it. We might not think so, but we're unbelievably free and unregulated in the UK compared to the rest of the world - including the US. Why do you think so many immigrants risk life and limb to come here when they could stay put in other EU countries. Sure they have what appears to be a more freedom with regards to guns, but it ends there.

That freedom is an illusion. They have alot of regulation - and alot of people in uniform to regulate it. We might not think so, but we're unbelievably free and unregulated in the UK compared to the rest of the world - including the US. Why do you think so many immigrants risk life and limb to come here when they could stay put in other EU countries. Sure they have what appears to be a more freedom with regards to guns, but it ends there.

As they don't recieve the benefits and housing in the EU compared to the UK.

As they don't recieve the benefits and housing in the EU compared to the UK.

There is more to it than that. In the UK we don't need to carry ID. In the EU (and the US) you are required to carry ID. Some freedom eh? We don't even have an official ID in the UK. To me that is freedom.

There is more to it than that. In the UK we don't need to carry ID. In the EU (and the US) you are required to carry ID.

No you don't. There is no requirement to carry ID in the US. If you are driving then you need to have your driving license with you (same as here). When you want to do certain activities (like shooting) you need to have ID (same as here). Joe Bloke walking own the street to the shops doesn't need any ID.

rick

No you don't. There is no requirement to carry ID in the US. If you are driving then you need to have your driving license with you (same as here). When you want to do certain activities (like shooting) you need to have ID (same as here). Joe Bloke walking own the street to the shops doesn't need any ID.

rick

You are right about the US but the individual circumstances in which you are obliged to produce your ID vary from state to state - in particular, when dealing with the police.

For regulated activities like driving or hunting- yes. For driving you'd have a driving license. For hunting you'd have a hunting license and would carry some form of state sponsored ID (usually to prove residency).

For walking down the street to the shops, there is no requirement for citizens to carry ID. Many people don't have an ID. If you don't drive, then you won't have a driver's license (the most common form of state sponsored ID). Passports are not widely common in a lot of areas and don't have address info (they only show that you are who you say you are).

You might be thinking of Stop and Identify statutes which ~half the states have. In those states if you are detailed on suspicion of a crime then you are required to identify yourself to a varying degree. For some states just providing your name is enough; some require name/birth date/address or similar. It is only if you are being detained on suspicion of crime (or being arrested). In no case is producing a formal state sponsored ID required because as I noted above- not everyone has one. It is the same as here. If you are stopped by a police officer on suspicion of committing an offence then you are required to provide your name/DOB/address and failure to do so is a chargeable offence.

thanks,

rick

No, it's as simple as that.

Well, I think there is a little bit more - the language (English is the most popular second language in the world), the benefits, a sense that our judicial system is 'fair', and a large and settled immigrant community already in the UK makes it easier for friends, family, and acquaintances to come here and settle in faster.

I've yet to meet a rude yank and have always found them agreeable.

You've never been to New York then :lol: :lol:

But I do agree with you - for the most part Americans are quite well mannered (aside from their odd use of cutlery), and very polite. It very much depends where you go though.

You've never been to New York then :lol: :lol:

But I do agree with you - for the most part Americans are quite well mannered (aside from their odd use of cutlery), and very polite. It very much depends where you go though.

I wonder if they particularly try harder when they meet Brits because in my experience their perception of us is either as demonstrated in downtown abbey or the cheeky barrow boy. Years ago I met a US army officer who was travelling to the UK for the first time. He was wearing a cloth cap, Andy cap style and never took it off. After a few beers on the ship I asked him why was he wearing the hat, he's reply was "I'm going to good old England, they all wear these there" I had to laugh.

I wonder if they particularly try harder when they meet Brits because in my experience their perception of us is either as demonstrated in downtown abbey or the cheeky barrow boy. Years ago I met a US army officer who was travelling to the UK for the first time. He was wearing a cloth cap, Andy cap style and never took it off. After a few beers on the ship I asked him why was he wearing the hat, he's reply was "I'm going to good old England, they all wear these there" I had to laugh.

I've said it before - the US isn't one country - it is 50. Really depends where you go. Some friends of ours (British) went there a few months ago. They were in Tennessee for a time - where the people were just so polite and respectful. Was like being on the set of The Waltons. They ended their trip in New York City - and were a bit gobsmacked. Nobody can speak - just shout. Waiters give you the bill without even looking at you. Ok, i'm sure there are plenty of super-polite people in NYC - but you can't really make generalisations.

For work I visit Seattle fairly regularly - a pretty laid back town - and all the people I encountered there are super-polite. Even the children. Even the multitude of homeless people I came across!