Best fox caller

Davyo

• 2 weeks later...

Tried lots over the years with differing results....I found that if you use the original fox caller a fair bit it gets clogged up with spit (not a pleasant thought and may just be me).

I have had some reasonable results with the WAM caller lately.

Tried the tenterfield fox whistle with pretty poor results as I cant seem to master it. Try try and try again...then gave up and put it in the draw as it was getting a bit too frustrating.

You can never have too many fox calls on you, from gods given back of the hand to the latest tenterfield, use just one and you may loose the interest from your local raynards, try different calls each night to see the reaction but if you realy want to immitate a distressed rabbit buy a ferret and listen to the sound coming from it's prey when it's truely latched on, then try to mimic that sound then you'll have charles dancing in front of you.

Edited by pistolgrip

Bought a original fox call,the upgraded one with the brass screws which came next day delivery on Thursday.Took it out that night for a trial,one appeared within 10mins and came running in to 30mtrs before I shouted to stop it.The second was a little bit wary but still came in to 50mtrs.I have a couple of home made ones and I also used the old polystyrene on the windscreen method.

I like the original as it have such a variety of squeaks and its hans free.Next time will need to take the rifle.

The original fox calls are handy when lamping alone so you have hands for lamping and holding the rifle, but I find it isn't very effective long range, I often use it for making a fox stop to look once I am ready to shoot, the tenterfield is a pest to get the hang of, but once you get the knack your laughing, I find it very effective over longer ranges. Every fox I have called with it has ran full steam in, however the most convincing calls I have heard have been from folk using their hand, I just can't get the knack to it myself, it sounds more like a duck with a bad cold than a rabbit