GLOBAL WARMING

Highlander

So it's official...the second warmest winter since records began! And judging by most of the posts on here the one that's returned the smallest number of shot pigeons in that time too!

If this is global warming and likely to become the norm what are we to do about changing strategies to ensure decent winter bags in future years???

We need anti-gravity boots so we can chase them into the woods and clatter them there :unsure:

On a more serious note, assuming this is the trend from now on which I don't think it will be, the whole ecosystem will change, not just pigeons.

We have already seen milky/carrying does in early January this year, bumper natural harvests for pigeon to feed on and so on. Butterflies in early January during a hard frost, bees too.

This has already shown us impact with pigeon dying off through eating too many acorns. This may be seen by some as natures way of controlling numbers.

For pigeon shooting it probably means more of a move to roost shooting in the winter, but that clashes with the game season in a lot of places.

Doesn't bode well really :o

I thought global warming meant a colder UK? Gulf stream being cut off etc. I'm no expert but just what i'd read/seen numerous times. I don't think this mild winder has naff all to do with Global warming, they reckon a 1-2 degree rise in global average would increase the water levels globally by a horrific amount. I think we'll notice the rise in water table, seas etc before the average rise of 1 degree.

Stands back. :unsure: :o

EDIT: I made a double negative: "I don't think this mild winder has naff all to do with Global warming", i meant, "this mild winter has naff all to do with Global Warming".

Although I imagine that you are cycling through a mild winter and no more :unsure: If indeed it is a new trend, then it will call for an addaption of hunting ways. More importance on roost shooting, and switching to different shooting tactics, such as setting up on flight lines to watering holes and possibly the planting of sunflowers or other game bird crops...all of which are successful tactics for shooting doves.

Although it may mean shorter ferreting seasons :o

NTTF

Bang on NTTF.

The world was born hot, it cooled down, it got hot again, it cooled down and will continue to do so. Not an awful lot we do will make one bit of difference. So full of its own self importance is the human race, we forget we are just a complete freak of biological chance.

The planet will simply belch us from its surface and it will all start over, just as it has many times before :unsure: