Knife making

la bala

I have read with interest some of the types of steel you guys use for knife making. A short time before i gave up gazing in the flames i made this knife in the Bowie style. The billet was cut from the bucket cutting edge off a Caterpillar earthmoving loading shovel. The billet was hand forged to a blade by my good self, the hilt guard was made from Brass, and the Antler topped with black Buffalo handle was fitted by my good Stick making friend. Caterpillar cutting edges are made from highly abrasion resistant Manganese steel.

post-52836-0-60458000-1416942729_thumb.jpg

post-52836-0-81976700-1416942762_thumb.jpg

That looks the genuine article......really my style, crys out use me not in a cabinate please...............im tempted to start myself, using a big flowerpot as an updraft forge....the steel i might use will be and old knackered seris 1 leaf spring...and take it from there

That looks the genuine article......really my style, crys out use me not in a cabinate please...............im tempted to start myself, using a big flowerpot as an updraft forge....the steel i might use will be and old knackered seris 1 leaf spring...and take it from there

Series 1 leaf spring ditchman, good carbon steel, will make a fine blade. Speaking of Land rover springs, i have seen a crossbow made from one, and the bolt fired through a 1 inch thick hardwood door. Get your forge built mate.

Series 1 leaf spring ditchman, good carbon steel, will make a fine blade. Speaking of Land rover springs, i have seen a crossbow made from one, and the bolt fired through a 1 inch thick hardwood door. Get your forge built mate.

i have been thinking of that for a while......can use aluminuim for the quarrells...braided steel wire for the prod string.....my mate has different woods for the body...and i can easily make a winch..as it would be 150-200lbs draw weight

you thoughts please..........

i have been thinking of that for a while......can use aluminuim for the quarrells...braided steel wire for the prod string.....my mate has different woods for the body...and i can easily make a winch..as it would be 150-200lbs draw weight

you thoughts please..........

Dont know to much about crossbows ditchman, the one i posted about had hardwood bolts with forged steel and hardened heads, and the draw string was a type of braided cord. The winch was detachable after cocking and looked very similar to bike pedal set up. But beware the first one he made broke just before full tension on the winch, believe me you dont want to be there when they break. :no:

Dont know to much about crossbows ditchman, the one i posted about had hardwood bolts with forged steel and hardened heads, and the draw string was a type of braided cord. The winch was detachable after cocking and looked very similar to bike pedal set up. But beware the first one he made broke just before full tension on the winch, believe me you dont want to be there when they break. :no:

what i would do is to make the prod first and test it over 3-4 days to its full draw weight..and 20% beyond........then if that was ok...i would build the bow around the prod.......

something to think about over the next few weeks...........

what i would do is to make the prod first and test it over 3-4 days to its full draw weight..and 20% beyond........then if that was ok...i would build the bow around the prod.......

something to think about over the next few weeks...........

I think if you kept under tension for 3-4 days you would lose the tension in the metal, all that time it would be beyond its memory. if you think about it, a spring compresses under load and then returns to its memory curve. Hope you can make sense of what i am saying.

I think if you kept under tension for 3-4 days you would lose the tension in the metal, all that time it would be beyond its memory. if you think about it, a spring compresses under load and then returns to its memory curve. Hope you can make sense of what i am saying.

what i mean is not to compress it for 3-4 days but test it drawing it back to 20% + regular over that period ..to find the weakness............