Damn Car

Lord Geordie

Well i have had to bite the bullet and shell out a further £280 on the damn thing today :good:

Well i Bodged up the exhaust for now and hope it holds.

Been to a place today who make Cusotm Exhausts and booked it in on the 21st for a WHOLE exhaust.

£280 :/ It only cost £109 for the WHOLE exhaust on the old Cavalier :P I nearly kicked the car in Disgust :/

Still it's a Stainless Steel Exhaust and should NEVER need replaced again so in a way it's an investment. They are ALSO going to raise the exhaust to give me more ground clearance as currently the clearance is only 5" but when they fabricate the new one it SHOULD give me over a FOOT of clearance so thats a bonus!!

Next is the Windscreen as it has a Chip and 2 nasty marks from someone prior to my ownership cleverly using the window wipers with no blades and scouring the window with the metal arms :D

Suzuki SJ windscreen is the same according to the Rickman owners and there is one in the scrappy if i am quick i MAY get it for about £10 to £15 :yes:

Turning into quite the hobby and i need the Disks off and taken up to the machine shop my Bro in law works in for a free re-surfacing (free) i LOVE that word. Has to be my Favourite. No i aint a Yorkshireman but i am probably a very close second :lol:

It won't win any beauty contests just yet but even though it's a bit rough looking it's really a little diamond and needs a polish to look it's best.

I would really love to get my hands on some of the Origional Rickman carpets too as carpet fitting isn't my Forte and it looks a tad shabby :P

Oh and one last thing! A question really! Does anyone know if you can get those BF Goodridge tyres in a 16" rim please?

Would love to get a tad more grip for off road.

Cheers

LG

Well i have had to bite the bullet and shell out a further £280 on the damn thing today :good:

Been to a place today who make Cusotm Exhausts and booked it in on the 21st for a WHOLE exhaust.

£280 :yes: It only cost £109 for the WHOLE exhaust on the old Cavalier :P I nearly kicked the car in Disgust :P

Still it's a Stainless Steel Exhaust and should NEVER need replaced again so in a way it's an investment. They are ALSO going to raise the exhaust to give me more ground clearance as currently the clearance is only 5" but when they fabricate the new one it SHOULD give me over a FOOT of clearance so thats a bonus!!

Next is the Windscreen as it has a Chip and 2 nasty marks from someone prior to my ownership cleverly using the window wipers with no blades and scouring the window with the metal arms :/

Suzuki SJ windscreen is the same according to the Rickman owners and there is one in the scrappy if i am quick i MAY get it for about £10 to £15 :D

Turning into quite the hobby and i need the Disks off and taken up to the machine shop my Bro in law works in for a free re-surfacing (free) i LOVE that word. Has to be my Favourite. No i aint a Yorkshireman but i am probably a very close second :P

It won't win any beauty contests just yet but even though it's a bit rough looking it's really a little diamond and needs a polish to look it's best.

I would really love to get my hands on some of the Origional Rickman carpets too as carpet fitting isn't my Forte and it looks a tad shabby :(

Oh and one last thing! A question really! Does anyone know if you can get those BF Goodridge tyres in a 16" rim please?

Cheers

LG

Hi LG,

Speaking from experience i wouldn't bother getting the discs skimmed, even if it is for free.

Many moons ago I tried having them done both on and off the car. They are fine at first, but then the vibration sets in. :/

Bite the bullet and buy a new set. :lol:

You leave him alone!

He is a very reliable chap but suffering a tad of Leaprosy at the moment! Today the Exhaust tomorrow perhaps the bumpers :/

Considering he is as old as I am he is doing JUST fine thank you :good:

LG

reliable?

ummmm...... maybe you should take the dictionary to bed for some light bedtime reading :yes:

Hi LG,

Speaking from experience i wouldn't bother getting the discs skimmed, even if it is for free.

Many moons ago I tried having them done both on and off the car. They are fine at first, but then the vibration sets in. :good:

Bite the bullet and buy a new set. :/

I will have to look into it as i really could do with the pads done at the same time as they have started to squeel which i think is a build up of crud as the car was unused for years before put back on the road :(

LG

You leave him alone!

He is a very reliable chap but suffering a tad of Leaprosy at the moment! Today the Exhaust tomorrow perhaps the bumpers :/

Considering he is as old as I am he is doing JUST fine thank you :D

LG

reliable?

ummmm...... maybe you should take the dictionary to bed for some light bedtime reading :P

It's still running and gets me about reguardless of the Exhaust fiasco :lol:

The running gear is 36 years old as was most likely the exhaust :P

Starts on the Button runs like a dream sounds like a tank :yes:

If i look after him he SHOULD last me another 30+ years :P

LG

Don't even think of skimming the discs if you are not changinging the pads :good:

LB

The pads ARE getting changed as it's the pads that contaminated the disks i beleive :/

LG

so ...... we're picking you up on sunday eh?

:yes::lol::D

No!

But pack a Tow Rope :/

LG

£280 :/ It only cost £109 for the WHOLE exhaust on the old Cavalier :P I nearly kicked the car in Disgust :/

Next is the Windscreen as it has a Chip and 2 nasty marks from someone prior to my ownership cleverly using the window wipers with no blades and scouring the window with the metal arms :D

Suzuki SJ windscreen is the same according to the Rickman owners and there is one in the scrappy if i am quick i MAY get it for about £10 to £15 :yes:

Turning into quite the hobby and i need the Disks off and taken up to the machine shop my Bro in law works in for a free re-surfacing (free) i LOVE that word. Has to be my Favourite. No i aint a Yorkshireman but i am probably a very close second :lol:

I would really love to get my hands on some of the Origional Rickman carpets too as carpet fitting isn't my Forte and it looks a tad shabby :P

Cheers

LG

What vehicle are we talking about here? :P D2D

Cheers

LG

What vehicle are we talking about here? :P D2D

This Vehicle

459173.jpg

Anyone know if they make a half decent 4X4 tyre in 185/80/16 or perhpas 190-195/ 75-80 / 16 ?

I have looked online but can't find anything other than Van tyres.

LG

If you go to a 205/85/16 there are plenty about,

I had 175/85/16s on a Niva, so they should be available.

Cheers Bob

It's running on 80s at the moment and the speedo is BANG ON is i go to 85's i think it will be over the speed limit even though it's shows i am not :good:

I managed to find a few 205 R16s that look half decent at a little under £60 each. I will keep looking tomorrow

Thanks again

LG

£60?:/

look at colways

Just am and they have some nice ones too :good:

Also a one called Greenways but i am unsure of what they will be like for roads (wearing out)

478985.jpg

I think THESE will be best for a mix of On and OFF road though

478986.jpg

At around £47 a tyre it aint that bad

LG

Don't want to pee on your bonfire about them discs LG, but if they've done many miles they will have got a tad thinner. You then lose more meat when skimming them.

First risk is they warp when you go through a puddle or park up while they're hot. Second is the piston can come out too far in the caliper - past it's seal as the disc wears: of course it'll happen at the worst possible time :good:

Dave!

Disks are fine they still have the tell tale marks for at LEAST 2 skim jobs yet they are near new but as i say the lad i bought the car from just parked it up and left it. The disks have became contaminated with Grease i beleive came from a burst oil seal on the hub bearings which someone tried wiping off but of course the damage is done hence wanting them Skimmed.

Once done as long as the Pads are done at the same time i should see an end to the problem for quite a while.

I have worked with Cars for near 20 years between my own and my dads and spending time working in garages rebuilding cylinder heads overhauling brake systems replacing suspension and steering components the list is endless.

The pads need replaced anyway as they have a little play in them now. The whole car is systematically getting checked and either repaired or getting replacement parts depending on the running of the car.

I also need to source a pair of Rollbar to Chassis mounts for the front anti roll bar as the existing ones are getting a tad thin and although they are fine i want them changed as a matter of course.

New bushes in the leafsprings and the anti roll bar bushes too when i get spare time and the money to do the job.

It sounds like LOADS of work but it's not as bad as it sounds and not that hard to do the jobs at all as the car is VERY basic and the bits are easily to access.

Besides i ENJOY working on the car anyway it keeps me out of the house. :good:

LG

Mind now, (as you will probably know - but some don't) even a fingerprint on newly machined discs can cause a hot spot :blink: if i remenber rightly "the pink pope mobile" (no offence meant) is based on old fords - new discs should be cheap as chips <_< good luck with the project :blink:

£60?:blink:

look at colways

Just am and they have some nice ones too <_<

Also a one called Greenways but i am unsure of what they will be like for roads (wearing out)

478985.jpg

ps its the at with the bf good rich tread i bought they are good on and off road mate cheers colin

I think THESE will be best for a mix of On and OFF road though

478986.jpg

At around £47 a tyre it aint that bad

LG

l g mate ask markbivvy about cheap tyres i bought 4 for 147 delevered to the door

from cowden or sowden cant remember the name but realy impressed by them ask mark bivvey

it was realy a good service

cheers kirky