New gun to the collection.....

NickB65

Well I went to the local gun store to have a mooch and came out with an Arsam A612........ not sure how it happened.

Been looking at them for a while and one minute I was handling it and then next it was mine......... they are good in that shop.

Read about them but .... not handled one please keep us informed on build quality.

Well the first impression is good. Although a plastic stock it is not the hard smooth plastic of the Hatsun but a slightly rubbery feel. The stock feels more solid but apart from that it is virtually the same. You do not get loads of free stuff with it just a few shims to change the drop of the gun and three chokes. It comes with the sling studs in place which I like. I shall strip the gun tonight (after watching the movie on YOUTUBE) to have a liitle look at the internals and then this weekend is a wife and child free weekend so we shall have a little rough shoot on the Saturday and then a clay bash on the Sunday.........

More later.........

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Well I followed the YouTube video on how to strip the gun down and put it back together again and he made it look a lot easier than it was but I managed it :-)

The gun it brand new and on taking it apart I found it to be well oiled but not over the top. The spring, piston and piston ring were well made and nicely finished.

No cheap shoddy milling of the metal but a good quality finish. The whole gun was well put together and was tight but not stiff. You get three chokes with the gun - Skeet, Full and medium which I translate to Open Full and half...... they fit flush to the 28" barrel and are easy to extract and fit. Loading is straight forward and unloading is a simple process once you hold the gun upside down...... or is that me? The sling swivels were already fitted which is a nice touch but also easy to remove. The stock is easy to take apart and the shims easy to fit. I will need to extend the stock by about an inch which will be interesting finding a spacer to fit.

So far the impression is very good...... now lets see if I can shoot with it.

Well I went to the local gun store to have a mooch and came out with an Arsam A612........ not sure how it happened.

Been looking at them for a while and one minute I was handling it and then next it was mine......... they are good in that shop.

Didn't know Arkwrights sold guns :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Well at last I have had a chance to play with the gun. It is way too small for me and need 1" added to the stock but it is still a real fun gun to shoot with. Took it to the Cambridge Gun Club for a little shoot and compared the semi with my normal gun. At each stand I shot the semi and then the Elos C both quarter choke and same cartridges and I have to say I did not smiling.

Once I got used to mounting the shorter gun and got used to its very light weight I was hitting clays consistently. The lack of recoil and the spitting of cartridges was a little new - still tried to break the gun to empty it - but I got there. Crossers were a little hard but anything coming to or away was dead easy. The lightness of the gun meant I was swinging way to fast and the shortness meant I was often a little high but as long as I concentrated I was hitting them well. It did not like the 28g no.7 at first but after 200 32g no.6 it was cycling everything down to 24g no. 6

WHAT I LIKE - it is light, easy to use, three shots and fun. The build quality is excellent and I am not sure how they can sell this for so little and still make money.

WHAT I DONT LIKE - I have to add 1" to make it fit........

If you have thought about an Arsam and thought there must be a catch its too good to be true then think no more....... they are great guns and so far after 150+ cartridges I can not fault it. This weekend I shall have little chance to shoot as I am picking up at the local shoot but fingers crossed we will get out on Sunday for a Pigeon shoot.