shower question

crowdie2013

Im about to replace the bathroom suite which has a shower over the bath. The existing shower is a Mira Excel fed from the combi boiler. All knew about 11yrs ago but looking a bit scabby now after much use. Touch wood Ive never had 1 issue with the mira excel and its been excellent. Ive priced up a new mira excel and prices, not including a plumber, range from £350-£400.

Anyone got any alternative recommendations for a decent but cheaper shower set up or am I as well biting the bullet and just going with the same. The only reason Im replacing is that the walls around bath are being tiled over during the work and the pump unit sits behind the wall.

Cheers in advance

Crowdie

Slight Hijack (sorry!)

On the subject of showers, we moved into a bungalow about 2yrs ago and the shower has a pump which sounds like a steam tractor!, It's supposed to have a "control box" in the loft which adjusts the pump speed to match the shower flow (Mira Zest, not great!) but having looked whoever put it in didn't bother, just stuck a transformer and a bridge rectifier/capacitor to make a DC supply so it always runs at max speed!.

Housing association won't touch it as it "works", so, is there any way of getting a silent pump or raising the shower floor so the water drains away using gravity?. Normally wouldn't be bothered but the noise affects my Autistic son and he hates getting showered as a result.

cheers fella`s & Battlefield; think my mind was already made up but was hoping someone would tell me about a better shower at half the price!

Battlefield; if I took a gamble on the pump where`s the best place to buy new mira excel shower rail/shower head/cover plates etc to basically renew the visible parts? OR am I likely to have to replace pump which is behind the wall in the near future given its over 10 years?

Cheers

Crowdie

cheers fella`s & Battlefield; think my mind was already made up but was hoping someone would tell me about a better shower at half the price!

Battlefield; if I took a gamble on the pump where`s the best place to buy new mira excel shower rail/shower head/cover plates etc to basically renew the visible parts? OR am I likely to have to replace pump which is behind the wall in the near future given its over 10 years?

Cheers

Crowdie

What pump?

it should just run of the boiler tbh. So the only thing you should have is the body buried in the wall, if it's a concealed one or mounted on the wall if an exposed one. If you haven't had the cartridge replaced as of yet I'd replace the whole unit if you want a new shower. Mira shower heads are good. Unless they have changed there hoses I would get a full bore shower hose if you do get a new shower.

If you have had the cartridge replaced instantly then I would renew the plastic controls and facial to update it.

cheers Kingo; I`ll ask the plumber again who originally installed. I live in the sticks so not sure if water pressure had anything to do with a pump being needed but he definitely said their was a pump fitted. Its never needed anything done to it ie cartridge replacement, and is very powerful so guess it was a bona fida installation and happy to trust the plumber. Im a chartered building surveyor so scrutinise every quote/bill I ever get but this was done 11 years ago when I was still a bit green round the ears!!