Gun refinishing

RDP

I had some thoughts today whilst day dreaming about picking up a cheap SxS like an AYA No4 and spending a bit of time over the summer refinishing it ready to do a driven day in the winter.

There seem to be a few guides around that suggest refinishing a stock is pretty easy.

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/a/aastockrefinish.htm

Are there any techniques/methods to make the wood of the stock look more interesting? I heard about blow torching it very briefly to burn some of the softer wood and give a more interesting effect. Not sure what that would look like in real life though.

When refurbing a gun like an AYA is it worth re-doing any of the internals? Or is that a job best left to a gunsmith?

I assume the best place to look for a cheap AYA would be any of the gun trading sites?

IMHO its not really worth spending time and effort on a gun that can be picked up cheaply and will ultimately be of little value. Why not look for an early English gun-a boxlock around the turn of the last century and with a respectable makers name can be bought for a couple of hundred pounds if you find a tatty one and if you restore it carefully you should at the very least get your money back as well as enjoying using a gun with history.

The AYA is fine handling SXS there are many bargains to be had because this style of gun is now out of fashion.For a few pounds more you could get hold of a Spanish Side Plate,very pretty guns that usually have more interesting wood.Some of these guns have done very little work so the internals will be tight and together my preference is for 28" barrels there are quite a few 26" inch out there that will go for less money.I`m not knocking English guns, I have owned several.There is nothing finer than taking a nice high bird with traditional gun on a driven day that you have had a hand in its restoration.

I believe there are several people on this forum who have and still do refinishing work to guns and I am sure they will be only to pleased to assist you with tips.I have never undertook any of this kind of project but my own thoughts are nomatter what gun you choose I would say 85%of the satisfaction will be down to the fact you did it yourself.So go with whatever you feel.atb

Have you a budget in mind? I guess now is the time to get hold of one, they seem to rise in value just prior to the start of the game season, The most important priority is fit, they are simple machines, most will be 30 years old plus so its condition that counts, if purchased from a dealer any teething problems can be sorted FOC.,May be ejectors are an added complication especially on a game shoot when the head gun / keeper is on the look out for that elusive spent shell left on a peg you have just vacated.

As far as budget goes I was thinking £100-200 for an AYA No4 or maybe a Yeoman with 28" barrels and 1/4 and 1/2 choke.

They seem to be nice cheap guns, and my partner is from the Basque region so it would be a fitting gun for her to use if she ever joined me shooting.

It would be quite a nice thing to have when doing a spot of pigeon/rough shooting as well rather than bringing the heavy sporter along all day.

I guess I need to speak with Wabbitbosher at some point?!

I will bow to other peoples knowledge on this one, most Spanish Box locks in your price range will be of the same quality,AYA Yeomans may carry a slight premium in price. Condition is key,a lot of Spanish Guns have color hardened actions try and get one that retains most of its color.Barrels can be touched in with cold blue where they show signs of ware,Wood work is important,avoid splits & gouges, some had polyurethane varnish on them, this can be removed & the wood stained & oiled.A nice tight action & lack of pitting in the bore goes with out saying.These guns were built to a buget, they stand the test of time due to sound design & good engineering.You will know when you come across "a good un".