now tv

Paddy Galore!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was decided on getting a quad core M8 box, unitil i read about the amazon fire which is supposed to be more reliable, the only problem now is that i have read that someone is having trouble installing kodi on their's and they seem to think the software in the box has been changed to stop installing it. i think i will hold off getting one a bit just in case

i was decided on getting a quad core M8 box, unitil i read about the amazon fire which is supposed to be more reliable, the only problem now is that i have read that someone is having trouble installing kodi on their's and they seem to think the software in the box has been changed to stop installing it. i think i will hold off getting one a bit just in case

I bought one on Tuesday from Argos and it works

its all good fun as long as you have a rough idea what you are doing, if you can root an android phone you should have no problem. (root as in alter the phone software rather than bury it in the garden, you bury it after you brick it should things go wrong) :lol:

I've been using AFTV for some months with XBMC/Kodi - works well, but has some minor quirks. There is a fork of Kodi geared towards the AFTV called SPMC - http://spmc.semperpax.com- recommended.

Will that side load to the Fire?

thanks for the link, box is on order, looks straight forward enough.

No problem.

Good thing is that you can also get all the old series on there - only today I was watching Married with Children - what a classic!!

Will they both exist at the same time (memory permitting) - ie different names

Cheers

(PS - Sorry - I am in the No category (avator) :friends: )

Both what? SPMC and Kodi? No need - they are the same thing - just SPMC has been tweaked to work with the AFTV a bit better. The standard AFTV software can co-exist with SPMC no problem - have to jump through a few hoops to get it to run via an APP Icon, but nothing major. I run SPMC/Kodi as an app on the AFTV - along with Plex, and other standard apps.

One thing to note - there is a major software update from Amazon being sent to AFTV's this week - one never knows if the ability to side-load will be removed. Running side-loaded apps is a hack - always will be. Oddly enough - SPMC is available in the Amazon app store for their tablets - but not the Fire TV :hmm:

so if amazon update the software this week i assume i have to wait for kodi to be updated too? or will the current version still load ok

No.. At the end of the day, the AFTV is just an Android box - but locked down by Amazon so you can't (typically) load your own apps - only Amazon approved ones on the Amazon app store. Side-loading is a hack which allows you to load your own apps - such as Kodi/XBMC/SBMC - or whatever. Some people have managed to load Now TV, and other 'unapproved' apps. Though the possibility is small, it is possible that Amazon will close the loophole which allows people to side-load apps. I think it is unlikely, but it is technically possible and Amazon aren't exactly known to be friendly in this regard.

Sky with their Now TV do allow side-loading - and have continued to allow it through updates. A popular side-load option on the Now TV is Plex. Plex is not a replacement for Kodi - it only allows you to stream media from a Plex Server such as a NAS or a PC. Incidentally - there is an optimised Plex client for the NowTV/Roku too - http://rarflix.com/ Note that the NowTV box is only 720p and Wifi only - but it also only £10

That saying - I can highly recommend the AFTV - it is small, elegant, and works well. Speed is excellent, menus are all very fluid, and the video is excellent - 1080p. It supports both hard wired ethernet and Wifi. The voice search sounds like a gimmick, but it actually works remarkably well. The remote is bluetooth - so no line of sight issues - you can control it from under the sheets :whistling:

I use it for Prime, Plex, and Kodi. It also has an official Netflix client, though I don't use that so I can't comment on how well that works. If they continue to support side-loading after the next update (and I suspect they will - they have been shifting a ton of the things since people figured out how to load Kodi on it), then go for it.

If you want to save a few bucks, are willing to wait, and forego a few features, the new Amazon Fire TV stick might be for you. In the US it is less than half the price than the standard Fire TV and is able to run the same apps. You miss out on USB connectivity for external storage, and the voice search on the remote (which only works with Amazon prime anyhow - for now). Unsure when it will be released in the UK, but the word on the street is that it is "sooner than later".

Hope that helps.

Edited by aris

thanks for the info, i am waiting for amazon to send my AFTV so should they close the loop hole and stop side loading then i will return it, but as you say i doubt they will as they will probably have a drop in sales of the box, and working for an american company myself every dollar counts especially when they have sales targets to hit.

thanks for the info, i am waiting for amazon to send my AFTV so should they close the loop hole and stop side loading then i will return it, but as you say i doubt they will as they will probably have a drop in sales of the box, and working for an american company myself every dollar counts especially when they have sales targets to hit.

This is assuming they are making a profit on it. At 10 quid - including delivery, Sky are losing money for sure - presumably "buying" market share (even if people don't subscribe). The AFTV is a pretty beefy box - but I can imagine they are either marking a profit, or at the very least breaking even. Hardware isn't where the money is though - they want Prime subscribers, Pay Per view - and people buying apps for the thing - that is where the money is.

Some downsides to the AFTV: Though it has BBC iPlayer - it doesn't have ITV or Channel 4 streaming. It does have Channel 5. If you don't have an internet connection - this thing won't boot! I needs to phone home before coming up. Not an issue for most - it is a streaming box after all, but I did have an issue once where my internet was down and I wanted to watch something off my local NAS via Plex. No go. These things are all fixable - and i'm sure ITV and C4 will come about in due course as contracts are signed, etc.

Here you go - the AFTV stick is for sale in the UK now - and for a very special promo pre-order price for Prime members (might even be worth joining to get it at that price).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-W87CUN-Fire-TV-Stick/dp/B00KAKUN3E

Fingers twitching on the Buy Now......Got a number of Tellies in the house which this would be ideal for (besides the main one which is on the full model due to screen size)

After reading this thread I installed Kodi on my mobile phone and have been messing around with it for the past couple of days and been pretty impressed.

So impressed that this evening I've just popped to Currys to pick up an Amazon Fire TV box and they've got them on sale for £65.00.