Sand Martins

billytheghillie

There was a large quarry I visited in a village called Crowton ? (north Cheshire). There were hundreds of sand martins in an exposed sand face and the quarry company were very good at leaving them alone whilst they bred and then doing any work in that area. They came back year after year and the numbers were up in the hundreds when I last went - lovely brown birds and such a noise.

I used to marvel at them as a kid when I was digging for sand roses up the quarry. I've not seen one for a few years now. I did see a non breeding pair of Doc Martins this morning in the shed though.

When I was a lad we had Bob Martins chocolates at Easter.

I used to marvel at them as a kid when I was digging for sand roses up the quarry. I've not seen one for a few years now. I did see a non breeding pair of Doc Martins this morning in the shed though.

according to the BTO doc martins are boots of special conservation concern and on the red data list, be careful !

Amazing - but what is a 'sand rose', rhyming slang ?

No, they are mineral formations that create a floral type arrangement in the sand beds, usually about the size of a golf ball. I used to flog them to kids at school but eventually my greed led to a market saturation so I had to move into the blue clay crystal market.

according to the BTO doc martins are boots of special conservation concern and on the red data list, be careful !

Yes, they have been pushed out of their high street habitat by identical but non-branded migrants and are now only found in isolated colonies like Bluewater.