THAT BUISNESS WITH THE PETROL

SNAKEBITE

Remember that buisness with the petrol a couple of weeks ago?

Well, my Mondeo had developed a judder at around that time. When I accelerated "hard" it used to lurch slightly and then pick up.

Anyway I watered it down as much as I could with Shell petrol and it improved slightly, so I just ran it round and tried to use the tank up before refilling.

Last night i filled up again from Shell and bingo, no judder at all. Infact the car seems to be performing a LOT better :good:

So I have decided never to use Tesco fuel again. Even when it was "good" it isn't as good as Shell.

Anyone else had similar thoughts?

I run a diesel now but I used to be younger and more stupid and have all sorts of performance cars. Anyone with a highly strung engine, or one which is tuned or perhaps runs a high boost turbo - they will all stay well clear of supermarket petrol.

It makes a massive difference, it causes these kind of cars to "pink" or nock like mad as the engine management system retards the ignition timing to try and compensate for the junk in the tank.

The problems seem to be the junk they put in it and the fact that it has a low octane rating, fuel with a higher octane rating resists premature detonation (where the bang happens before the piston reaches TDC).

I have owned cars which barely function on 93RON tesco junk, have always stayed away from it myself.

I actually found Tesco diesel to be very economical in my pickup, I'm not sure why? I never used their petrol when I had a car, as my dad was in the IAM and it was fairly well accepted that the petrol was cheap because it was of poor quality. I don't use their diesel regularly as a rule, I like BP or Shell if I'm going past. I was stuck in traffic with the fuel light on the other week, so got some from Tesco. Got an extra 100 miles from a full tank, but it was a bit sluggish too :good:

Its horses for courses. You may get better performance and I certinaly notice adifference when using a premium supplier compared to say Tesco. But on the other hand, premium fuel costs more. So at the end of the dayit doesnt really matter which you use they both cost the same in the long run. Unless of course the fuel is tampered with. :good:

But on the other hand, premium fuel costs more.

Not in Burgess Hill mate!,

Shell is the same as Tescos!

I used to use Tescos because it was convienient and I got clubcard points but not any more.

The cheapest place is that Esso garage down the the road from you by the Black lion, quality petrol and about 5p cheaper. (Which equates to £2.50 a tank which gives me a saving of about £50 a year!)

Remember that buisness with the petrol a couple of weeks ago?

Well, my Mondeo had developed a judder at around that time. When I accelerated "hard" it used to lurch slightly and then pick up.

Anyway I watered it down as much as I could with Shell petrol and it improved slightly, so I just ran it round and tried to use the tank up before refilling.

Last night i filled up again from Shell and bingo, no judder at all. Infact the car seems to be performing a LOT better :good:

So I have decided never to use Tesco fuel again. Even when it was "good" it isn't as good as Shell.

Anyone else had similar thoughts?

Years ago when Noah was a boy there used to be an advertising jingle "Keep going well with Shell" anyone going to be brave enough to admit remembering it? :lol::P

:good: D2D

I run a diesel now but I used to be younger and more stupid and have all sorts of performance cars. Anyone with a highly strung engine, or one which is tuned or perhaps runs a high boost turbo - they will all stay well clear of supermarket petrol.

Mainly true :good: until Tesco came out with their 99 octane fuel. Once I'd filled the M3 with a tank of that, you could definatley feel the difference, not huge, but definatley noticable.

On the M3 board, one of the tuning/service companies did an independant report, and found that the Tesco 99 octane fuel gave the E46 M3 CSL 40 more BHP, thats 10% !!!

http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/tuning/...t_Results.shtml

Like pin, that was in my younger days (which ended 2 weeks ago :-( ), now I drive a diesel (well I will when I finally get it..)

Si

Ferarri did similar with which car I forget but the new 103RON stuff compared to supermarket fuel was like 80BHP+ difference.

I had my Evo VI GSr tuned to within an inch of its life, yet when I got the chance of trying some decent racing fuel (at the time I think 102RON) it was like a different car. Dyno'd at 35BHP higher than with optimax :good:

God I loved that car :good:

Depends on the car. What year is the mondeo?

Most Ford cars with the EEC IV or better engine management systems have computer controlled timing. They adapt to various conditions and can advance or retard the ignition timing accordingly. Most modern cars are the same, they will advance the timing somewhat and you will see a difference.

Like I say if the car is tuned at all it will make more difference, at the very least more octane in the fuel will make it smoother and probably more efficient - what people refer to as more "driveability".

Older cars without adaptive engine management systems wouldn't see much benefit.

So will I get better "performance" with the Super unleaded?

I am judging performance by the fact I can do the same speed with less on the pedal rather than being able to rag it round Tescos carpark with my posse.

Doesn't work like that, the difference will be slight, a few HP at the most. In theory if you put the car on a dyno you would produce more power for the same engine revs with one than the other.

The main difference you will see is smoother, possibly quieter running with a slight increase in economy.

Its horses for courses. You may get better performance and I certinaly notice adifference when using a premium supplier compared to say Tesco. But on the other hand, premium fuel costs more. So at the end of the dayit doesnt really matter which you use they both cost the same in the long run. Unless of course the fuel is tampered with. :lol:

true expect with diesels.

Shell are by far the cheapest stations for diesel.

I pay 88/89.9 around here in shells compaired to 91/92.9 at esso's etc....

only place that comes close is sainsburys with their city diesel. Which i get a wee less mileage out of, mainly im sure because it dosent pull as well as the shell so i tend to have a heavier right foot.

tbh it makes little difference, 1 weeks worth of driving economically can be ruined in a 5miles dash when you feel like a bit of fun.

tbh it makes little difference, 1 weeks worth of driving economically can be ruined in a 5miles dash when you feel like a bit of fun.

Exactly my problem. If I am careful I get 50mpg from the audi, but if I hoof it, which I do a lot, that drops to under 40 which kind of defeats the object of having a diesel :lol: