ONLY LAMP IF FOXES ARE TROUBLE

welshdragon77

Hi all,

In this day and age lamping for foxes is coming very popular, there are pros doing it, amateurs and local farmers. Im all for hunting and lamping foxes but I think foxes should only be taken from end of August start of September, unless they are causing trouble ie rouge foxes taking lambs during lambing time and hitting poultry pens.

I enjoy lambpng as do the rest of you but I beleive in live and let live , also fox numbers around here have decreased and as all you hunters know if you want to hunt foxes and have our sport there in a couple of months we must let the fox have a life for a while....or we are shooting ourselfs in the foot.

This post in not to cause trouble or point a fingure all foxes causing trouble should be taken but if they are not causing trouble leave them until september, we still want plenty of our quarry then..

Thanks

Welshdragon

youve got a good point there,ive seen in my area rabbits and hares nearly wiped out by over hunting,the same will happen with foxes,more and more people are getting rifles especially for foxes.when would your season end

also fox numbers around here have decreased

Welshdragon

It just depends on where you are around my part you can never get on top of the growing population of them usually if i get a fox you will hear a fox out calling in the same spot a week later :/ and there is a lot of foxes that will simply not come near the lamp and wont ever be got using that method.its just a matter of opinion really but i would rather see a fox shot humainly with the suitable caliber than left to be hunted and torn asunder by a pack of hounds :lol:

ive seen the odd hare gettin up in front of me i just wouldnt shot it they are very rare

don't shoot hare,s now full stop they do no harm on dairy farms but foxes do

your point please ? :lol:

point is you have to learn to hold back sometimes,

Hi all,

In this day and age lamping for foxes is coming very popular, there are pros doing it, amateurs and local farmers. Im all for hunting and lamping foxes but I think foxes should only be taken from end of August start of September, unless they are causing trouble ie rouge foxes taking lambs during lambing time and hitting poultry pens.

I enjoy lambpng as do the rest of you but I beleive in live and let live , also fox numbers around here have decreased and as all you hunters know if you want to hunt foxes and have our sport there in a couple of months we must let the fox have a life for a while....or we are shooting ourselfs in the foot.

This post in not to cause trouble or point a fingure all foxes causing trouble should be taken but if they are not causing trouble leave them until september, we still want plenty of our quarry then..

Thanks

Welshdragon

I have to say well said and I totally agree ...........There comes a time when you have to say is it sporting to shoot a vixen or dog allowing their litter to die a slow death from starvation ............I don't believe many actually locate the earth and dig out using Dogs to dispatch the remianing litter quickly .

Again I emphasise that if they are in abundance and a nuisance in one form or another then that is a different matter .

Just my views and nothing more :lol:

ive seen the odd hare gettin up in front of me i just wouldnt shot it they are very rare

your point please ? :/

on fox,s you will be lucky bloody smarter than human,s so if the chance come,s i will take it :)

as for learning to hold back had rabbits run between me legs and let them run , just not fox,s

they kill for the sake of it and not for food :lol:

on fox,s you will be lucky bloody smarter than human,s so if the chance come,s i will take it :)

as for learning to hold back had rabbits run between me legs and let them run , just not fox,s

hi magman just when you mention dairy farms,was talking to FAO,he said local farmer had applied for 22 cause foxs had mauled one of his calfs,i didnt think they would go for something that big,

is it sporting to shoot a vixen or dog allowing their litter to die a slow death

thats a different thing Ivan, there is vixen round my way i could have flattened a couple of times,found her and the cubs when the cubs where still blue. but did let them be. she has now moved them and wont be shot until i wellie the cubs first. iam quite happy to let them be for now all of em, but if they start to be bad then they will be dealt with.you cant say to farmers oh lets leave em till they have reared their young.they wont have it and will get other folk in to do it.

hi magman just when you mention dairy farms,was talking to FAO,he said local farmer had applied for 22 cause foxs had mauled one of his calfs,i didnt think they would go for something that big,

got a farmer at the moment moaning because one is ******** in the sheds with the calfs , but they will have a go at a calf if it shows any sign of weakness :P

I think it will be a matter of time before a close season becomes the normal, parts of America , Alaska, have a close season on Varmint, & the way the Anti's are motivated, I think they will pick up on this, another chip of the block.

There will be Pros & Cons on this, everyone to there own, also, certain circumstances like lamb, chicken killers are a differnt kettle of fish, & should be sorted.

My 2p,

BJ.

you cant say to farmers oh lets leave em till they have reared their young.they wont have it and will get other folk in to do it.

One sure way of losing your permission if you did Mark ............What the farmer don't know don't hurt though and you and you alone can determine as to whether taking the shot is justified as I will during times of breeding . :lol:

Well each to their own, and it depends what is at stake. I know of two Fox earths, and could ambush them easily, but unless the farmer wants them shot now, i will leave them alone till later.

But when i was shooting on a Pheasent shoot, we didn't give them any peace, and were taken 24/7, it depends on your land and what you deam to be best for you. If you are shooting on one bit of land and no-one else is shooting the surrounding land you create a vacum by the one's shot and end up with more to be taken, because they are out looking for a new patch.

If someone needs to shoot them 24/7 i support you and your decision, and if you don't i support you too :lol::/

I think it has to depend on the individual circumstances. I run a pheasant shoot, and therefore will shoot/trap/snare foxes 365 days a year on that particular estate.

I also get asked to control foxes on various other surrounding farms with game and/or livestock, and will do so when asked, independant of the time of year.

However, I have another plot of permission that has no livestock or game on it, and the farmer is not

bothered about foxes, so I leave them alone on that farm. Shooting them here would be purely for sport,

and that's not my bag I'm afraid.

agree that it depends on circumstances.

also any time that I have spoken to someone anti fox shooting they say its not an effective way of controlling the population, that always confuses me

I have just been told that their are other ways without using guns to hunt or vermin control by an anti (even larsson traps require a gun for the final dispatch)

I agree shooting foxes is entirely circumstantial, if I had a shotgun my farmer would expect me to shoot every fox shootable on sight no question. That is because he also runs shoots on his land and rears pheasants. If he didn't have the pheasants and just the cabbages & sprouts he wouldn't care.

. I know of two Fox earths, and could ambush them easily, but unless the farmer wants them shot now, i will leave them alone till later.

<_<

Im in the same boat as you kip there is active fox earths behind my place but i will leave them well alone because they are not causing me any grief or any of the farmers in my locality.But what is causing 10 times more hassle than any fox around my area at the moment is domestic dogs roaming around at night i had to shoot three in the last 2 weeks for a farmer :lol: