Reloading mixed cases - interesting results!

I've been playing with loads today. I started with 21.9 grains of H322 and went up in 0.3gr increments. However, 22.5gr gave worse results than 22.2gr so decided to load with 22.3gr because it seemed apt for a .223!

Anyway, once I'd settled on the load, using new brass (and 55gr FMJ bullets), I changed to Nosler Varmageddon bullets (still 55gr) and the results were slightly better (using www.creffield.com/ballistics.php)

Once I'd tested all of those, I decided to reload some fired cases. I resized 5 of the Remington cases that I'd just fired as well as 5 mixed cases (PPU, Hornady, Sako, Norma and Federal). Now, I know 5 shots is probably not statistically significant but the SD was lower than the Remington cases (27.92 vs 37.34) and the ES was lower too. The grouping was 2 holes (this is a 2" target, the top group is with mixed cases)

IMG_4442.jpg

I'm guessing this is a fairly conservative load as the velocities achieved were lower than factory ammo but I doubt Charlie will notice the difference between 2950 and 3000 fps!)

would love to see the same load put through 5 of each of the case brands

either one of those groups is fine so long as you know the POI is going to stay the same

you may find that some cases are thicker and give slightly high pressures, this does not automatically mean they will impact higher on the same target

I have a 60gr load that impacts exactly 2" higher than a 52gr load doing 3-400fps more

This could get expensive :)

Forgot to mention these were loaded using the Lee powder measure, rather than painstakingly by hand using the scales.

I'd be interested to know actually how many case manufacturers there are out there - do they just stamp their name on a generic case or does each brand make their own?

It's the internal volume of the case that's important, fill each one with water and weigh it, you can weigh the empty case first then subtract that from the filled case weight to get a comparable figure for each manufacturer.

I know that, but the outer dimensions should be made pretty accurately to conform to the .223Rem specification so any variation will be down to wall thickness. I was planning on weighing a few and getting an average

would love to see the same load put through 5 of each of the case brands

either one of those groups is fine so long as you know the POI is going to stay the same

you may find that some cases are thicker and give slightly high pressures, this does not automatically mean they will impact higher on the same target

I have a 60gr load that impacts exactly 2" higher than a 52gr load doing 3-400fps more

Usually because the slower leaves the barrel in a higher angle of recoil.

This chap should not have any pressure issues at these velocities . I use to get these velocities from 222 with 55#.

U. Come on the bullies.

This could get expensive :)

Forgot to mention these were loaded using the Lee powder measure, rather than painstakingly by hand using the scales.

I'd be interested to know actually how many case manufacturers there are out there - do they just stamp their name on a generic case or does each brand make their own?

there is much more interchange between different manufacturers these days than years ago. Its harder to know who really makes what.

Right.

I've currently loaded 5 each of the following:

Norma, Sako, PPU and Hornady. I would have loaded FC but the primer pockets are crimped and I didn't have time to set up the lathe. Again, using 22.3gr of H322 with Hornady FMJ 55gr bullets (didn't want to waste my Varmaggedon bullets). Loaded using the Lee powder measure which I'm not convinced is as accurate as loading each one individually with the scales, but that takes ages and this way is really quick.

null.jpg

As mentioned, the pressures are not going to be massively different but I want to see if I can just grab any old case to reload it, rather than dialling a different powder weight for each brand - let's be honest, if I can get a sub-4" group at 100yds then that's acceptable - doesn't need to be single hole. My groups so far have been bench rested - really need to practice unsupported...

Edited by spandit

Strangely, for being a cheap bit of kit, the Lee Perfect Powder measure is one of the most accurate and holds its own against measures costing a lot more.

As always it depends on the type of powder being thrown (extruded, flake, spherical etc.) but that's a common factor with almost all volume throwing powder measures.

Just measure direct to the scales pan then trickle to the correct charge, fairly quick and accurate.

322 being quite small for a stick powder does measure quite well from the lee but larger grain and smaller ball can be a pain.

Edited by Amazed

more to do with where on the harmonic curve the muzzle is when the bullet exits

just as likely to go low or left or right

I agree. That's your biggest variable right there. My Lee powder measure can be .3 or .4 of a grain out every time. You'll never learn anything until you're using the same amount of powder for every shot.

And then there's COAL and case length,but maybe best not to go there yet. :)

then he is not doing it right!!

I have a 2nd hand Lee Thrower and a set of dippers

no fancy scales, just a set of eBaytastic electronic ones with a 0.2gr tolerance that I someotimes use to check loads intemittently

I have produced ammo for .222, .243, .270, .308 and .300wm using these "variable" all shoot well inside 1/2-1 MOA (some shoot in the 0.1-0.2 range)

.308 group 168gr SMK over 44gr N140

IMG_2224_zps6f1b2fd5.jpg

30WM 208gr Amax over 69.8gr N160

IMG_1963_zpse24cecea.jpg

good technique and consistency using throwers and dippers will see consistent results

you will have more variable from **** neck tension than a 0.2gr overload

Edited by Bewsher500

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to shooting the things. The Norma and Sako (1st and 3rd) were both single hole groups. The PPU had one flyer (giving about an inch group at 50 yards). The Hornady, Federal and Winchester got progressively worse - whether this is due to the barrel heating up (although I did notice the mod was loose about half way through) or the fact that I was getting a bit bored and didn't give as much attention as when I first started, I don't know. The worst grouping was about 30mm (sorry to mix imperial/metric!)

Brand Average ES SD

Norma 2988 131.0 59.90

PPU 2924 56.0 22.71

Sako 2963 46.0 18.89

Hornady 2946 84.0 33.74

Federal 2951 70.0 27.55

Winchester 2917 69.0 26.45

(all) 2948 188.0 39.46

The Sako grouping was marginally worse than the Norma (which oddly had the worst statistics, although over only 5 shots per brand, not sure how statistically significant they are).

OK, here is the analysis, using the software I wrote. The software calculates the group size (using mean radius) and scales the target appropriately, so that the shots fill 80% of the image (shot hole size scales too, so entering a larger calibre will show bigger holes):

Norma:

tgt_1_Norma.jpg

tgta_norma.png

PPU:

tgt_2_PPU.jpg

tgta_ppu.png

Sako:

tgt_3_Sako.jpg

tgta_sako.png

Hornady:

tgt_4_Hornady.jpg

tgta_hornady.png

Federal:

tgt_5_Federal.jpg

tgta_federal.png

Winchester:

tgt_6_Winchester.jpg

tgta_winchester.png

All:

tgta_all.png

Excellent work with the software - it looks like it compares very well with "on target" but not sure how you are arriving at your group size? That looks like a 1.38" or 2.64 moa group to me.

Snap_2015.05.03_18h31m59s_003_zps6a0ia9n

Edited by 1066