SGC Expirey

Don't know about Suffolk but Hampshire sent me a notice three months prior to my SGC expiry. I returned it almost immediately and had the new certificate back well before the old one expired.

The new one didn't start until the old one finished (a bit like MoT's) so I didn't "lose" any time.

Unlike the MCA & certificates!

As this is going to be a very busy year for firearms licencing, BASC recommends starting the process early for 2015 renewals. Respond as soon as possible to a renewal reminder pack or, even better, prepare and submit your request early. Copies of renewal forms are on the BASC web site in the firearms section if you need them, complete them, sort out counter-signatory/referees, add photos and payment and get ready to submit them in plenty of time. Always post by recorded delivery. These can usually be tracked online.

To help the police to renew your certificates in time we recommend that you get your renewal applications to them at least 12 weeks before the expiry of your certificate in 2015. Do not wait for police reminder letters.

Renewal applications went in with South Yorks mid January and not having heard from them after12 weeks and 10 days before expiry I contacted them by email to prompt them and also notify of additional permission, home visit from FEO a couple of days later who intimated it could be a further 8 to 10 weeks before processed and received.

Not wanting to be in possession of firearms with out license I requested a section 7 certificate (as advised by BASC) again by email

Renewals arrived two days later.....seems some forces are "busier" than others due to low staffing levels and cut backs but it takes as much time and effort to grant a section 7 as it does to "fast track" the original application ....

Edited by Keith RW

I put mine in at the end of January for an April expiry.

The application was sent back middle of March because I hadn't put the date of birth of my referee on. Unfortunately Mrs T put it in a safe place and didn't tell me until the end of March :oops:

I admitted what had happened over the phone and I'm now on a temporary cert - just means I can't buy any guns in the meantime, so that 20 bore will have to wait :/

What I can't understand is; when they had the phone number of my referee (on the application) why didn't they just ask him when they phone him to check me out??

Early is always best :yes:

Unless I am mistaken on the 201 form now in use and under the section for referees details with regards to the "date of birth" and the "place of birth" it should also state "if known" so if not known it should not be a problem if left blank so I see no reason why they should have returned it.

Edited by Keith RW

Unless I am mistaken on the 201 form now in use and under the section for referees details with regards to the "date of birth" and the "place of birth" it should also state "if known" so if not known it should not be a problem if left blank so I see no reason why they should have returned it.

You're mistaken Matey, sorry.

Here's the link to Humberside's website and Form 201 is at the bottom - Does not say 'if known'...

You're mistaken Matey, sorry.

Here's the link to Humberside's website and Form 201 is at the bottom - Does not say 'if known'...

Not according to South Yorks, http://www.southyorks.police.uk/firearms-licensing-request-forms

It appears there are still forces out there not conforming to using the correct paperwork, had issues with regards to the equality and diversity form this end and to which I was informmed by BASC was an "illegal document" that had been sent out, they contacted SYP to put them wise.

Just checked gov site for correct 201 and sure enough the "if known" looks to be a South Yorkshire "addition" to the form !

Not according to South Yorks, http://www.southyorks.police.uk/firearms-licensing-request-forms

It appears there are still forces out there not conforming to using the correct paperwork, had issues with regards to the equality and diversity form this end and to which I was informmed by BASC was an "illegal document" that had been sent out, they contacted SYP to put them wise.

Just checked gov site for correct 201 and sure enough the "if known" looks to be a South Yorkshire "addition" to the form !

Looks like we all ought to check the correct Form 201 to see if our respective forces are putting in any other little 'additions' - or maybe just use the correct one?

Link to the correct Government Issue Form 201

Looks like we all ought to check the correct Form 201 to see if our respective forces are putting in any other little 'additions' - or maybe just use the correct one?

Link to the correct Government Issue Form 201

Yes indeed, but it eludes me why forces would want to "change" an already agreed piece of Government authorised paperwork or issue substantially different ones such as they did with the diversity form.

Edited by Keith RW