The Cube - 3D printed Night Vision Add On ***IMAGE HEAVY***

cube2.png

Well, I have finally finished it, it's taken me the best part of two years to pin all the right components down - final step will be getting the circuit boards printed to speed up the whole assembly process.

Nothing particularly new with the main components, it uses the same board camera I've used throughout, so with my 66mm lensed IR torch you'll get 500-600 yards on mid range magnification. It uses the VF-2C viewer that has now become ubiquitous for near eye viewer builds. However, some key features are:

• Integral 12v lithium ion battery giving many nights use before recharging is necessary.

• Deep discharge protection, the battery will shut down around 9v to prevent damaging itself.

• Charge indicator via LEDS (like the Deben batteries use).

• Internal fusing.

• Vehicle and mains chargers.

• Switched regulated supply to the viewer using audio quality components (this means the screen is completely line free - honestly the clearest image I have seen - and prolongs the life of the battery).

• Internal LED driver and dimmer control right where you want it. You don't need to reach forward and fiddle with a torch in the dark.

• Single switch operation. Turn it on and it's all fired up.

• Only requires a single battery.

• Clearly labelled brightness and contrast controls.

• Small and lightweight.

• Simple focus adjustment; no more jamming your fingers onto the lens and twiddling. I have added to easy to feel and turn knobs to the lens cover.

• Tested up to 243 calibre, no problems at all handling that recoil.

Some other things I have done (internally) are create a custom support board for the viewer along with strain relief for the wiring that has to be added. I've designed the viewer lens and screen holder from the ground up so that it's serviceable. if dust gets on the screen and causes an annoyance it's easy to take it apart and clean. Although, the way it's designed and the fact that I don't have to chop down Oriscape body parts means assembly is clean and free from ABS dust, so there is little chance of debris getting onto it.

It's all quality parts throughout, decent IP67 rated switches and dimmer controls. Quality fuses, switching regulators and relays - it's been a labour of love (and hate). I'm really pleased with the compact end result. I just need to turn my attention to polishing the illuminator design now and get something that balances close in work with middle distance work (the camera is well capable of seeing out to silly ranges for an add-on but realistically we all shoot between 40 and 200 yards at night, so I'm aiming for that middle ground with minimum adjustment needed for the torch (focus) and a wide field of view - ideally just turn it on and shoot using the dimmer to alter the brightness between those ranges.

I've nicknamed it The Cube, due to it's boxy look from one angle. Hope you like it as much as I do.

20150517_104153.jpg20150517_104143.jpg20150517_104135.jpg20150517_104118.jpg20150517_104036.jpg20150517_103917.jpg20150517_103903.jpg20150517_103851.jpg20150517_103816.jpg

Edited by mick miller

Mick, hats-off to you - worth the wait. That is a really well thought out and put together unit and it looks great :good:

The only thing I can see which isn't ideal is the brightness of the rear led indicators, but that really is a tiny thing. Everything else sounds top notch. I would think that this has to be one of the best add-on designs I've seen, you should rightly be proud of that.

Out of interest do you use a different can to the ubiquitous E700? If so, how is the low light capability?

Edited by FalconFN

Thanks Falcon, the LEDs are not on all the time, you just press the TEST button top centre to see how much juice is left, the lights come on for one second to indicate the charge level. They are bright but you only really press that button before you leave the house.

I don't use the E700, I use a 38mm board camera that I and another chap sourced from China, these are by far the best camera I've seen or used for an add-on but utterly rubbish for a scopless or spotter build- they're just so sensitive to IR light that they would white out all the time. Sadly, production of these has now stopped, I only have sixteen of them left.

Rich, I could build one but they're pricey. Last time I totted up the parts it was around £600 (ballpark), that includes everything, the mounts, batteries, viewer, camera the whole shebang. I need to do a costing for this version to bring that up to date. They're not cheap.

This one has an internal provision for grabbing some video, although I don't actually add a video out anymore, I'll see if I can record some footage but it's always with the caveat that you only see what the camera see, not what is displayed on the near eye viewer and those brightness and contrast controls are necessary to fine tune the image you see through the viewer.

Well, if you want one made PM me, but as I'm not a Trade Seller here we would need to do it privately via email. I'm just about to start the torch design, which is a MUCH simpler process, to get that pinned down. Ideally I want to use readily available lenses in my own designed case. As all the driver and battery gubbins is inside the add on I can make the torch really lightweight and compact - and almost enitrely from plastic. I use a massive heatsink on the back of the LED (again these are quality LEDS bought from RS, not cobbled together by someone in their kitchen and angled like a ski slope), so that it can wick the heat away very effectively.

I've used this set up for over two years and not blown an LED yet.

The parts I have to buy in order to make one of these are:

Oriscape VF2C viewer

Camera

Cobra Merlin DSA

Voltage regulator

Relay

5 x IP67 momentaries

1x IP67 on/off

1 x Vishay IP67 potentiometer

1 x 510k potentiometer

1 x resisitor

1 x quality li-ion battery with protection and charge level indicator (pretty much a DEBEN battery)

1 x LED driver

Torch (sacrificed for the lens only)

Weaver rail scope mount

Adjustable weaver rail torch mount

Rubber eye cup

2.1 DC lead

2.1 DC input with cap

2.1 DC input

Heatsink

IR LED (from RS)

Screws

PCB pin board

wire

solder

JST connectors (various)

heatshrink

1 x reel of 1.7mm filament

As you can see there's quite a bit involved. The only costly bits are the mounts for the torch, cobra dsa, viewer, camera, driver, led, torch, battery and voltage regulator!

Edited by mick miller

Thanks Mick. I have a scopless setup but I don't use an e700 either, although it still uses the Exview sensor. I'll be out tonight probably for the last time until nights draw in again. Do you have plans to build a matching spotter? That would look great too.

Yes, spotter is next. A near eye job. I have to try the cameras but it'll probably be one of the more common types that folk use, my mate has one with a digital zoom that sounds interesting and might be worth a shot.

I'd like to try a scope less build eventually, but it would need to work during the day and night to be of use to me, I only have one rifle for each calibre you see.

Other than the printed boards, yes. Can't think of anything else I need to add or do.

I could add wireless av out but not sure what the point would be.

Next job is to finish up the illuminator design. Then maybe turn my hand to a dsa but the cobra dsa, although pricey, does the job very well.

Left handers may have noticed the layout doesn't favour them or left handed rifles, the solution is simple, I just mirror the models and print the other way round!

Edited by mick miller