keeping dogs outside

darren m

interested to know who on here keeps there dogs kennel outside.

i have got 2 dogs both live in the utility / and house , but know i,m after another maybe a terrier or lurcher .

BIG problem is the mrs says no bloody way !!!!! :) .

we,ve just had new carpets and new leather 3 piece , so can see her point , but not giving up yet .

would it be fair to put a pup outside on its own

would it be fair to turf the other 2 out as well .

Also looking for ideas for a kennel / run / pen ( if i decide to put them out ) , any one got a pic of there set up etc .

thanks lads

All my dogs are kept outside, 4 cockers aged 14 yrs, 5yrs, 2 yrs & 11 weeks. The pup has been outside since she was 4 weeks old & is in a kennel on here own - I have made a smaller box inside the kennel for her which has also got a bit of extra insulation at the moment.

post-5221-1175888201.jpg

post-5221-1175888226.jpg

The kennels are made from breeze blocks & have removable wooden dividers, which divides the kennel into 3 sections & on the floor there is a 1" sheet of polystyrene with a 1" sheet of plywood on top of it.

The run is on a concrete base - the dividing panels are easily removed if required. The drain & there is also a small inspection cover for the **** are connected to the sewer & I have a hosepipe connection in the run to connect a short length of hose with a gun for washing it all down.

(pics are @ 4 years old & taken just after I finished building it).

Hello here's mine but im going to put up new 1's got some proper section's as the wooden run is ******.The boxes are 19mm marine ply & 1 is bigger for puping but going to buld the next 1's bigger for room or 2 dog's together.

Picture517.jpg

My new section's are 1.5x2m from canine kennel's.

Picture518.jpg.

Just in the process of building mine now.

Do yourself a favor, find yourself a mesh supplier, dont go through canine kennels.

If you have a bit of DIY about you then you should be able to knock something up yourself.

I have got 8ft x 4ft 10 gauge 2inch by 2inch pannels.

These will be fixed onto sections of 3x2 that I will be making the frame out of.

The cost for the pannels were 26 quid each...................................

Do yourself a favor, find yourself a mesh supplier, dont go through canine kennels.

If you have a bit of DIY about you then you should be able to knock something up yourself.

These will be fixed onto sections of 3x2 that I will be making the frame out of.

If you are going to fix the panels to a wooden frame make sure you put the mesh on the inside of the run to prevent it from being chewed - and keep as much of the wood just above the ground to help prevent rot.

cheers lads .

whats the ideal size and postion say for either one dog or three .

poo would go in the bin or down the sewer cover , but what about urine and washing down , would a soak away be good enough or not .

do you bother with roofing sheets or not .

thanks again .

The overall size of my pen is 12' x 12' - split into 3 sections - so each is @ 4' wide. The kennels are @ 12' 6" long - again divided in 3 sections - the end one being @ 2' bigger than the others - ideal when having pups. I've got a drain for all the water & an inspection cover which is lifted for the poo & they are both connected to the sewer. As you can see from previous photos the pen has got a 1 block high wall around it, so no water escapes & is on a solid concrete base. The first pen I made had paving slabs for the base, but the pee & water gets between the gaps & eventually starts to stink - especially in hot weather.

I usually only have one or two dogs (cocker spaniels) in each section, but occasionally I have had 3 adult dogs in one section.

If you are going to fix the panels to a wooden frame make sure you put the mesh on the inside of the run to prevent it from being chewed - and keep as much of the wood just above the ground to help prevent rot.

Not as green as your are cabbage looking there russ..Timber is tanalised so will be ok for being rot proof. Already thought about protecting the frame, was going to chicken wire it to prevent it being chewed, but thought, why ------------- just put the mesh on the inside.

On thing I didnt think of was drainage...............

Has it got to go down sewer as mine is no where near......

Will be picking up the ***** but jetting it out. Was going to send towards the kitchen drain..........

Even tanalised timber will rot eventually - just lift it a little bit off the ground so air can circulate around it. You could even put the mesh to ground level & start your frame a on the next mesh square up.

The waste doesn't have to go down the sewer, but is the best option if it's feasible, but picking up the **** & washing into a grid is a good second option & a bucket of water straight into the grid now & again will also help to flush it clean.

(No cabbage in my garden m8 lol - that was the weeds starting to grow, but it's all grassed now)

• 2 months later...

being in the army and working dogs everyday i know it does not matter the material of the dogs kennel as long as the dog cannot harm itself or escape has suffcient water and food, also kennel is cleaned thoughly daily, checked at least every 2 hours for feaces or urine and trigened (disinectant) dog friendly very strong once a week all will be good.