Terriers -- which one

darren m

had dogs all my life , but never had a terrier before .

got 2 dogs at the moment Jack the lab , well trained gun dog . and Tess the collie best house dog ever mad as you like , loves sheep :) bought as a cattle dog when i worked in the dairy industry.

Anyway i now would like a terrier , i would like it to rat , rabbit and maybe enter a few fox hole if poss .

it also as to get on with the other dogs .

need to know what would be a good choice , and can terriers be trained to do the basic commands .

thanks

My terrier friends say,

"If you want an all rounder..... Get a jack russell....If you want just fox work use a patterdale/fell terrier, which were bred for the job... #"

My advice is get a russell ive seen them do everything.

Alex

:)

yah i have a good friend who says the same, he's very good with terriers and understands them well, he has russel lakeland x, here he is after a very good day with his dog digger

post-4264-1175894631.jpg

Darren

I like Patterdales , i don't own one myself but after going out with fella's who have worked all kinds of breeds , the Patterdale is for me . But ownership of such a terrier comes with it's own troubles . Can't walk em down the street 'cos folks know what your on with .

So my advice would be look for a cross breed , patterdaleXlakeland , would be a fine beast , solong as th cross through to the lakey side . Make sure the dog come out of working stock though .

Drop us a pm as i know a few terrier men that should be able to steer you towards a good dog.

all the best yis yp :good:

Trouble is, a patterdale is way too much of a dog for rats and rabbits, yes they will hunt them, but if you want to do foxes you dont want a terrier which has gone to ground because of a rat, then you spend all day waiting for a fox and get a rat.

I wanted a patterdale because they are fine working and looking animals, but got steered off one because of there main use for fox work.

Still say a russel/

Alex

:good:

Here Polly.....my cousins very effective Patterdale x 3/8 bull cross out of nutalls lines that we use along side our lurchers..

She does the lot...........marks well on rats and rabbit burries, bushes gear for the lurchers, and definatey can mix it up; underground when she gets the opportunity..............

does show that earth dogs can multi task :good:

post-1280-1176361727.jpg

Yeah, usually. Ive seen alot of well trained Jrt not seen many trained other terriers though. My friends terriers which is a fell terrier n jrt crosses hasnt trained them because they are just working animals. The fell especially does its own thing.

Alex

:good:

(In reply to Paul) Yeah earth dogs can do everything, its just not advised if you want to do foxes aswell. My mates fell dog does everything but he isnt pursuaded to do anything but Foxes, otherwise false readings are given.

cheers lads -- plenty to think about.

can you train a terrier , for obedience , so it will do the basics , sit , stay , come , heel

simple answer is you can but with terriers the breeding is even more important than most breeds. Some terriers only have hunting on the brain and ignore everything else. Sounds great but in practice means you have a dog you can't take out shooting. I've got 2 Jack Russels and know the mum etc and these do listen one better than the other but yes they heel, sit on command and fetch even fetch pheasants though best avoided as if they aren't quite dead or twitch they tend to shake them to make sure :good:

One will sit with birds all round her but the other won't ok they are still young and learning but you do have to watch them. These get used for most things except putting down fox holes which call me a wuss but mine though pretty tough I just wouldn't want to do it.

I'm possibly getting a border now as well we've a lot used as working dogs round us and they are great, much steadier than a JRT will beat go ratting etc etc yet still listen and more importantly come back!

I have a Patterdale named Jess ( Bitch) they are great dogs, I only had her for 7 months and enjoying every minute. Patterdale terriers are extremely strong-willed little creatutres so you need to be frim but fair I promise you it's a battle of wills, so make sure they know who is the boss or they became a bloodly nuisance

I have two grandchildren one under 3 and a new born, Jess as been no problem with them she a family dog first

For me in the field I be taking her out ferretting to use her Nose learn to Mark and Bay. You can steer them away from foxs if you dont want to fox hunt there training is all part of what you want to do. they will need to be stock friendly arround farms and not go chasing cats/ horses. from day one I strongly recc that you try and train the basics within six months its hard work but very rewarding.

She walked every day in the mornings with all the local dog walkers and off the lead she is OK.

There are two books available by Sean Frain one is The Traditional Working Terrier ISBN 1 84037 308 3

He regularly writes for The Countryman's Weekly.

what ever you chose enjoy

/Users/abc/Desktop/jess.jpg

Catcherplet

sorry about no line breaks and the over sized picture :good:

post-4923-1176472100.jpg