land rover series 3 88" csw restoration project.

viking

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

struggling to find out what colour my engine is, i know its brownish but cant find what the name of it is or any codes, or even any brown engine paint :no::no:

Series 3, 2.25 diesel. 3 Bearing crank. Duck egg blue

5 Bearing crank. Terrecotta Block, Black Head, I have read this on some of the LR forums.

Edited by la bala

read that last thread on my phone so didnt really read it all properly, just saw the duck egg blue, now iv realised that my engine is obviously classed as terracotta.

only other thing is my mate said it would be a 3 bearing engine so i bought a full engine gasket set for a 3 bearing engine, looks like that might of been a waste of time

cheers bala :good::good: now if you can just find out where i can buy some :lol::lol::lol:

Those parts have been vapor blasted, you can recreate this but it's messy without a cabinet, the media is a water and glass bead mix.

damn right ..they have been blasted.....they used to use crushed walnut shells....................

regards colour..............duck egg blue was used in the army to signify a rebuild......i think :hmm:

done nothing all weekend apart from reading and searching for a paint code and where to find some paint form my engine, its been doing my head in to say the least, i dont know if im just looking in the wrong place or what but its been a rite challenge, i ended up looking at terracotta but then id seen it described as red oxie colour, but on paint charts none of them looke like the colour of my engine,

iv come up with this but dont know if its will be ok or not, or what type of paint or the finish, please help me before i chuck the whole lot in the bin :lol:

http://www.cjaerosols.com/product/british-standard-colour-aerosol-spray-paint/bs-381c-terracotta-444-400ml-custom-filled-aerosol-spray-paint-can/

Don't know this is definitive but.

Military recon- duck egg blue(pastel green)

3bearing series-black

5 bearing-red oxide

Factory recon- red (redder the red oxide I think)

Landrover paint man has special colours for series 2 blocks , he might also do series 3 by now.

Edit. No way are those parts just wire brushed, I vote vapour blasting

Edited by SpringDon

Don't know this is definitive but.

Military recon- duck egg blue(pastel green)

3bearing series-black

5 bearing-red oxide

Factory recon- red (redder the red oxide I think)

Landrover paint man has special colours for series 2 blocks , he might also do series 3 by now.

Edit. No way are those parts just wire brushed, I vote vapour blasting

Hi mate. I keep hearing about duck egg. From what iv read and as has been stated mines is the 5 bearing and was done in terracotta/red oxide. So I want to keep it that colour really.

And I think it would suit it more with the Land Rover being russet brown.

Iv looked on paint mans website and can't find and thing near the colour I'm after. And the only think I could send home to match the colour would be my engine.

is this also on landyzone?

Hi mate. If you mean the Land Rover then yes. I did also start a thread on there but know one really seemed interested or overly helpful so I didn't see the point. Maybe because I joined a few years ago and hardly ever go on or contribute.

Unlike the great kind folk of pigeon watch where help is always at hand.

Hi mate. If you mean the Land Rover then yes. I did also start a thread on there but know one really seemed interested or overly helpful so I didn't see the point. Maybe because I joined a few years ago and hardly ever go on or contribute.

Unlike the great kind folk of pigeon watch where help is always at hand.

Thought i'd seen this land rover before. looking great :good:

i have got to get me one of these "blast cabinates".....where i can clean with compressed air all sorts of stuff... :lol::lol:

I have a home made one out of 45 gallon drum with the lid cut off, mesh locked in place 2/3 way down, cheap as chips blast spot gun adapted with some hose pipe to pick up from base of 45 gallon drum, two holes for gloved hands and some Perspex for a lid Edited by Paul223

It said I had to pay £21 to join. Im from Yorkshire mate.

Not happening

Anyway iv been in touch with paint man.

It's red oxide but when they get old and oily they take on the appearance of terracotta.

And the head is satin black. So il be ordering some when I get home.