land rover series 3 88" csw restoration project.

viking

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well today couldnt of gone any further of plan if id of tried, started off with the rear hose but for one reason or another just got stuck so called my mate, another mechanic,

he had a look around things and soon spotter that the unions wernt up to the job as they were a bit battered around the bottoms and said they wouldnt seal up properly, and that the T pieces were no good either as the threads were shot.the he took the wheels and drums off to look at the brakes, well he pulled them to bits in seconds.

here is the shopping list hes given me.

X6 wheel cylinders

new set of unions

new hoses

x2 T pieces

x8 adjusters

x4 shoe fitting kits

x2 rear brake drums

so needless to say no brake pipes were made today,

so pottered about cleaning and sanding. again :lol:

post-9513-0-70497600-1457293595_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-37234700-1457293607_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-63649800-1457293629_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-27088100-1457293636_thumb.jpg

ok so its going to cost you.....what it does mean that you will spend less time tinkering with it and more time getting your money back enjoying it...................and you wont spend time in bed at 2 in the morning saying to yourself i wish i had done this or that............bit of a ****** but there you go .. :good:

well today couldnt of gone any further of plan if id of tried, started off with the rear hose but for one reason or another just got stuck so called my mate, another mechanic,

he had a look around things and soon spotter that the unions wernt up to the job as they were a bit battered around the bottoms and said they wouldnt seal up properly, and that the T pieces were no good either as the threads were shot.the he took the wheels and drums off to look at the brakes, well he pulled them to bits in seconds.

here is the shopping list hes given me.

X6 wheel cylinders

new set of unions

new hoses

x2 T pieces

x8 adjusters

x4 shoe fitting kits

x2 rear brake drums

so needless to say no brake pipes were made today,

so pottered about cleaning and sanding. again :lol:

If you are going to marry up with stuff you already have bud, check your threads, because on series, the later ones i believe went metric. Just trying to help :good:

ok so its going to cost you.....what it does mean that you will spend less time tinkering with it and more time getting your money back enjoying it...................and you wont spend time in bed at 2 in the morning saying to yourself i wish i had done this or that............bit of a ****** but there you go .. :good:

your rite mate, id rather do it now than find out the brakes are **** and have to do them after :good::good:

If you are going to marry up with stuff you already have bud, check your threads, because on series, the later ones i believe went metric. Just trying to help :good:

all help is help to me mate :good::good:

Good to see you mate wants it right

it is, :good: he knows i want it doing right first time :good::good:

The attention to detail on this build has been incredible!

cheers keg, i do try :yes:

I thoroughly applaud your attention to cleaning parts. You clearly have caught the bug from you know who! However, I feel that you need to improve the quality of your newspaper to match the quality of your parts.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: ....i was looking at the same thing...............surely a man of such talent dont read that !...............(does it have breasts in it ?)

really glad when i went to the paint shop today and saw my bulkhead like this, and radiator panel, only had it a month :no::no:

also really glad i went to get some new tips and shrouds and when id got home he had given me the wrong ones despite taking some wire in for him :no::no:

post-9513-0-52601400-1457543982_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-09574000-1457544102_thumb.jpg

have you practiced with the pipe flaring tool yet................

dont forget the anti spatter spray.............ok for the piece you are welding but really good to squirt in the shoud no a then...all it takes after that is a quick scrub out with the wire brush............dont for get a decent pair of side cutters to trim down the wire for a good start ..........

got to go to Brandon to pick up my re-built injector pump on fri....

Edited by ditchman

practicing my welding has taken a bit of a back seat at the moment, was supposed to get some splatter spray today but forgot,

got my flaring down to a tee though, pipes should be getting done on Sunday when i have all day to mess about :good:

all systems go this weekend then ditchie if the pumps back :good::good::good::good:

now on another note, i was trying to work out where my shuttle valve for the brakes went so i went through some old pictures from when i was stripping it and came across it, only it was bolted to what looks like a bracket just behind the steering bracket, my my new chassis does not have this bracket so i dont know if the bracket was original on the other chassis or not, and if it was why has my new chassis not got one,

im thinking of drilling a hole and mounting it in the same place only bolted to the inside of the chassis sitting just under flush??

post-9513-0-72288300-1457560920_thumb.jpg